How do spectators react to ELEVATOR COINS?

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Joel1902

How do spectators react to ELEVATOR COINS?

Post by Joel1902 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:00 am

Laughter, bored, amazed, stunned ino silence, whatever.

What's been your experience?

Thanks,

Joel1902

Brett H

Re: How do spectators react to ELEVATOR COINS?

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:22 am

I'm still quite a bit a layman and after watching a video of Elevator Coins. My reaction is mostly 'I think I know how that's done. I'm not exactly sure, but I have some ideas.'

I think that the only way to make the trick work better is to combine it in a routine with some good patter. Anything to keep them from guessing and coming up with 'solutions'. It doesn't seem to work too well on its own
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:47 am

If you have mystery poodle on the final coin drop, instead of the audible 'clink' you could make the cup woof.
Just read that back, second thoughts don't do that it's silly
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:47 pm

since this is a JAPANESE trick, you could present the trick as Japanese elevators. So when you reveal the coins, the 4th coin is not there--because there is no such thing as a 4th floor in Japan ('shi' DOES mean the number 4, but it also means 'death', hence why elevators, parking spaces, etc go '1,2,3,5.)

Since I don't know much about the trick other than what I watched, I don't know if starting with 4 coins, but not have one on the on the 4th floor would arouse suspicion, even if your patter could explain it and you could pair that coin with another one on another 'floor'

Either way, it seems like you could easily transition to or from Dynamic Coins.

There is potential! But I think the trick needs to be like the middle trick in a set.
SimonC wrote:If you have mystery poodle on the final coin drop, instead of the audible 'clink' you could make the cup woof.
Just read that back, second thoughts don't do that it's silly
That's hilarious. Mystery Poodle is now the most versatile trick out there.

Parabox - Implement the actual poodle and make the boxes bark constantly
Ghost Pet w/ barking--reveal the poodle.

This could get fun.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:00 am

thats a good shot about the japanese not using 4 in elevators, i didnt know that. as you say it explains the fourth drop. if your elevator coins are tenyo then the cups may have Japan printed on them somewhere so you could show speccy as you explain.
I dont have a mystery poodle (but I do have a couple of enigmatic cats) but i suppose you could incorporate it into a routine and have this dog keep barking throughout your set with him revealing him/herself at the end.
I always wondered if you could find a similar string of beads but a matte pink rather than disco shiny magenta, that way you could say it was a string of magic sausages that you turn into your strange poodle
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:13 am

Joel1902 wrote:Laughter, bored, amazed, stunned ino silence, whatever.

What's been your experience?

Thanks,

Joel1902
Hi Jorel, I do not have elevator coins but I know how it works. For me personally, it is a quick trick but still puzzling for the laymen and maybe for the magician too. Laughter ? No. Bored? No,because it is a short effect. Amazed ? Yes....but will be more amazed if it is examinable, stunned ? not really. It is a nice to have Tenyo item to complete the classic series and something that we can probably make the prop by our self if we find the right cups.