Tunnel of Darkness Performance Idea

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
JohnM
Site Admin

Tunnel of Darkness Performance Idea

Post by JohnM » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 am

Sometime when I do a trick I like to undersell it.

I learned a nice card trick called Three Card Surprise (World's Best Card Tricks by Bob Longe) that can be done with a regular deck. In the trick you match three cards to the audience members chosen cards using the one ahead principle. In the end your cards match their cards by both card and color. So if they "selected" a QH, 5D and AS, your cards are QD, 5H and AC. When I present the trick I tell the audience member that I will only match the color of their card. I tell them that it is not as easy as it sounds and the odds are 1 in 6 of getting it right. In the end when the see that more than the colors match, they are very surprised.

I was thinking that with TOD something similar can be accomplished.

For instance I would present the caged white die with the 1 face pointing up. Next I would put the cage into the tunnel and ask the audience member which number would they like the top face to be changed to. I would then slide the cage through and have it come out red with the 1 face still on top. You say well that did not work too well. Oh well let's try something else. And you leave them wondering. I think this would be good to perform on a magician who will be thinking in his mind how you are going to use some kind on gimmick in the tunnel to tumble the dice.

BluBob

Re: Tunnel of Darkness Performance Idea

Post by BluBob » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:16 am

I like your idea(s very much!

In keeping with the "trick gone wrong" idea ...

How about a BLANK die?
Maybe the eight tiny dice from Crash Dice would fit in the cage? (I don't have this)

How about NOTHING? (*The Die just disappears.)

*(The idea above would be to hand the spectator an "empty" cage, while asking what number the Die changed to, then show the Tube empty.)

Bob, Blu, of course ...
and now, on with the show ...

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:09 am

How about a sugar cube or a pineapple chunk ( sweet ) :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:09 pm

good shout Pete :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:55 pm

I like your idea John. It takes attention away from the tube after performance so you are able to ditch the gimmick (attention is focused on the deck of cards).

Nice ideas too Bob. Yes, the dice from Crash Dice work perfectly in the 'cage' of TOD - I tested it some time ago when Elliot W. had this idea in the thread of TOD in the Focus On Tenyo section of this forum.

While a cool idea Pete, I for one will not take the risk of putting pineapple in my litle TOD cage, but I have to admit in normal circumstances plastic does not react with it (the acid of pineapple juice however ... but I'm being a bit geeky here I suppose :ugeek: ) ;) .

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Nerd alert!
I think Pete meant the sweets we have in the uk called pineapple chunks, they are a bit like cola cubes, hard candy in cube shape.
Could you fit a small red silk in the gimmick, so you send a red die through and turn it into a spotty red silk? I'm going to try that out now...
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:52 pm

I LOVE these 'tricks gone wrong'

Not sure if this would fit, but how about a 2x2 lego brick

They even have a 2x2 plates of various dice pips if you feel cheeky
Where's my colon?!

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 am

How about a lump of coal into a diamond (faux diamond of course dont think the wives would be happy if you butcher there solitare rings :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Nice! You could call it a time tunnel, where thousands of years pass in a few seconds :)
Now you see me...