Performing Soft Coins 'wrong'

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

Performing Soft Coins 'wrong'

Post by Brett H » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:15 pm

I have an idea of creating 'different' performances for a few Tenyo. Still making magic happen--just not the way I had intended. Right now, I have my sights set on Soft Coins, but the ideas that I have for the trick to work are super complicated. I have ONE idea that might work. But not having the trick makes it a bit hard to figure out if it works or not.

So I have this question. Can you stack 2 coins in each slot of the apparatus and the gimmick will still work?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Performing Soft Coins 'wrong'

Post by SimonC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:43 pm

unless you can find some super thin coins... no
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Thank you!

And it's back to the drawing board!
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Woah woah woah hang on a second Brett, we don't gove up that easily on this forum ;)
We will take advantage of the time of year and make use of that most Christmassy of treat... Chocolate coins!
Ok so not the chocolate, but you could carefully manipulate the foil casings into thin coins. find some the right diameter, trim off the sides and stick a head and tail back to back, boom! They'll look the part, be solid enough to perform with and thin enough to allow two to fit in the soft coin case. And if that wasn't cool enough... the chocolate needs eating too!!
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Ha ha! That's brilliant!

That does sound a lot easier than my idea of having 3 coins with professionally cut holes in them.
It's the 'getting-them-there-with-no-one-noticing' part that makes it a wee bit complicated.

Wouldn't the gimmick mash up tin foil coins?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:24 pm

No the gimmick should work ok provided they were flat enough. You can flatten the foil coins and keep the details on the surface. also if you want a hole in one of them you could just use a hole punch to make a perfect one
Now you see me...

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:17 am

you could try counters/tiddly winks there quite thin or coin with a shell/shim :D

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Because I'm interested in your idea Brett I just tried our two 'flattest' coins in Europe: our 'cents'. Doesn't work I'm afraid :(

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Brett I am also interested in your idea. Could you share it with us? (Maybe you can use just thin pieces of metal disks instead of coins).
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:46 pm

The idea I have is to perform Soft Coins as you normally would--except that you somehow switch the 3 regular quarters with the 3 'hole punched' quarters. I figure a bunch of kids would rush up and want to see 3 real quarters with holes punched in them.

My initial thought was that you could stack 2 quarters in each compartment. That way the gimmick would take care of the lower real quarters and you could still send pencils through the hole punched set.

At this point. I'm thinking that the trick gets done without even using the Soft Coins gimmick. I'm racking my head of ways to gimmick the paper to 'lift' off the 3 real quarters and somehow, unnoticeably replace them with the hole-quarters.

Maybe wax on three fingertips, lift off all 3 quarters and replace them with the other 3 quarters held in a French Palm.

Man it's nuts. I have similar idea with Zone Infinity--where you reveal a key-punched gold dollar. Not nearly as complicated as you're only working with one coin.

I have some ideas for 'Tenyo Gone Wrong' with:
Magic Pop-Up,
Burglar Ball (you 'push the ball down SO HARD that it goes through the bottom of the table,)
Zone Infinity,
Crash Dice. (Announce that you want to change the color of the die. 'Cough' and look at he jar and exclaimed that you 'broke the die and the trick can no longer work')

And none of them have reached the level of complication as Soft Coins.
Where's my colon?!

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:35 am

Use coin shells to cover the 'hole punched' coins.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:12 am

Hi Brett,

Here is one routine that you can do. Perform the standard Soft Coin routine and have everthing examined. Return the coins inside your coin purse and as an afterthought offer to do the trick again. Remove the shell covered 'hole punched' coins from the purse. Since you run out of paper, you use a cardboard instead. The cardboard has some wax but can be shown both sides.

The Soft Coin prop will not close properly because the cardboard is too thick so you remark that you will do the trick without the cardboard. Remove the cardboard with the shells secretly adhering under it. Finish the routine as desired.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:02 am

very nice solution Bob :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:38 am

Sweet jesus, things have been busy.

That is a great solution. I'm embarassed to say that I didn't get the entire concept of the 'shells' until yesterday. It sounds like I need to acquire an actual Soft Coins and give these ideas a go. and see what happens. Even if none of it works, oh no! I have excess Tenyo.
Where's my colon?!