Themed Tenyo show

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Steffen from Germany

Themed Tenyo show

Post by Steffen from Germany » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:32 am

The other day, I started thinking about a little hobby-themed close-up show that consists exclusively of Tenyo effects. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far. What do you think of it? I’d appreciate your suggestions.

I’d start by saying that in this busy age fewer and fewer people find the time to pursue their hobbies. So there's a new trend, the hobby to-go, which allows you to take your hobby with you.

I’d illustrate this with 4-Dimensional Trunk, saying that my golf club had given me a miniature club (there are club-shaped biros) and a suitcase to practice wherever I’d go. I’d end confused because the ball is too big for the suitcase as well as the club. In this case the new concept still leaves a lot to be desired.

The next effect would be Magic Painting. I’d explain that I’d taken up painting and the small black case is my paintbox. Here the miniaturisation works like a charm.

Thirdly, I’d perform Bird Watcher. According to the instructions, I’d explain that I’ve taken up bird watching and this set of cards allows me to practise everywhere, even without birds.

Finally, I’d say that everyone must have guessed by now that my favourite hobby is magic. As a child, I say, I was very impressed with David Copperfield’s TV shows. I then promise to show a miniature illusion even David Copperfield would be proud to show. Obviously, many Tenyos would qualify here, but I think 4-D Surprise fits best.

So that’s it. The patter should be tongue-in-cheek, of course. Like I said, I’d appreciate your feedback.

Brett H

Re: Themed Tenyo show

Post by Brett H » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Welcome to the forums!

All right, first off, check this post out. Mike H gives an all Tenyo birthday show using 5 Tenyo (4D Surprise, Ghost Lamp, Third Eye, Phantoma, and Balloon Illusion). There are some good ideas that are completely original in usage and blended together (Phantoma and Ghost Lamp).

I'm also trying to create an all Tenyo show! I have 3 strolling all-Tenyo routines and a show scripted--it's just I won't have the funds to get 13 tricks AND perform them until March-April timeframe.

This is exciting seeing another Tenyo fan making an all-Tenyo show. The limitation of having it all-Tenyo is a bit of a unique challenge, but there's so much you can do with what's available.

I think it would work better if you were able to zero in on just one hobby. Something like traveling to partake in your favorite hobby.
If you do this, 4D trunk can stay (suitcase), Birdwatcher can be the finisher, 4D Surprise could produce a plane ticket--you'd just need to get one other trick to complete your 4 piece set. Maybe:

Security Lock to book your room.
Zone Infinity for unlocking your hotel room.
Parabox could be other suitcases that you 'unpack'
Mystery Poodle could be your dog on the plane.
Clear Surprise to tip the hotel staff

I hope this helps in some degree.
Where's my colon?!

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Hello Brett H,

Thanks a lot for your welcome and advice. :) Yes, I do like the idea of an all-Tenyo show. The limitations make it all the more compelling, but then again, with 250+ effects there's a plethora to choose from.

I've read indeed about Mike H's birthday show, and I think it's wonderful. I suppose his post - and yours on hospital walk-around - gave me the idea for my own all-Tenyo show in the first place. A strolling show is also something I'd love to try my hand at. With three of them you could start professional table hopping, couldn't you? I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get your three sets up and running in time.

I REALLY like your idea to combine the hobby theme with a travel theme. In a way, it's a different concept than mine, and a more focused one as well. I'll certainly tinker around with it and see if I can personalize it. But what also put a big smile on my face were your suggestions for single tricks. I mean, Mystery Poodle as the dog you hide on a plane, how cute is that?! :lol: Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:49 pm

No problem! It's really fun looking at the tricks and thinking what else they could be; 'when is THIS (Zone Infinity) NOT a prop? When it's a lock and key!'

I will say that some Tenyo are absolutely frustrating to approach with this mindset; I'm thinking of Trisector for this example. That they are a really amazing trick, but you can't find a good, scriptable reason WHY you'd need to split a dollar bill into 3 pieces. Some are easier than others to put reason and meaning behind.

I'm not sure if you have or not. But check out Planet Tenyo. If you have, check out the +1/redemption tricks. You might get some other ideas there as well. I can especially say that Magical Sneakers is easily routinable, affordable (you probably have a bigger budget than I do at the moment) and it gets adults and kids alike. Which brings me to my next question:

Who is going to be seeing your shows? I'm taking a wild guess and saying family and friends?
Where's my colon?!

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:11 am

Yes, Brett, familiy and friends are going to be my audience. However, I have befriended some of my business partners, so these are possible spectators too, although in a slightly more formal environment.

I know exactly what you mean when you say that some Tenyos are tricky to present properly. Amazingly, these are often the most ingenious ones, the ones we like best as collectors. It's sometimes difficult to come up with presentations that don't overshadow you as a magician and turn you into a mere presenter of a mechanical marvel in the "look-what-I've-got-here" fashion. With "Zone Infinity" I was thinking of a patter about a locksmith who demonstrated to me that burglars these days have ultra-sophisticated keys that allow them to cut through all kind of matter. Don't know if this makes any sense.

Thanks for pointing out the +1 tricks. As I found out, David DeTenyo has some very good reviews of them on his website. It certainly seems easier to present something that needs just a few humble cards or cardboard puzzle pieces and involves a lot of audience participation. I'll follow your suggestion and check out "Magical Sneakers", which seems to be available at magico-japan. I think I know the first phase from an old Nick Trost pamphlet on ESP card tricks, but the sneaker approach is bound to be more lighthearted, right?

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:51 am

Steffen from Germany wrote:Yes, Brett, familiy and friends are going to be my audience. However, I have befriended some of my business partners, so these are possible spectators too, although in a slightly more formal environment.

I know exactly what you mean when you say that some Tenyos are tricky to present properly. Amazingly, these are often the most ingenious ones, the ones we like best as collectors. It's sometimes difficult to come up with presentations that don't overshadow you as a magician and turn you into a mere presenter of a mechanical marvel in the "look-what-I've-got-here" fashion. With "Zone Infinity" I was thinking of a patter about a locksmith who demonstrated to me that burglars these days have ultra-sophisticated keys that allow them to cut through all kind of matter. Don't know if this makes any sense.

Thanks for pointing out the +1 tricks. As I found out, David DeTenyo has some very good reviews of them on his website. It certainly seems easier to present something that needs just a few humble cards or cardboard puzzle pieces and involves a lot of audience participation. I'll follow your suggestion and check out "Magical Sneakers", which seems to be available at magico-japan. I think I know the first phase from an old Nick Trost pamphlet on ESP card tricks, but the sneaker approach is bound to be more lighthearted, right?
The Zone Infinity presentation idea makes sense. That's one of those tricks that teeters on the edge of being really tough to present properly. But the locksmith idea is a brilliant approach.

I'll have to look at the Nick Trost pamphlet, but yes, Sneakers could not be any more lighthearted.

I will say that if you do use the +1's, be cautious building routines because, more likely than not, because the packet trick has a built in theme; you may see yourself building your routine around THAT theme.

OH, and I know on your introductory page that you said you had a lot of Tenyo. I'm not sure if Eye of the Idol is one of those in your collection--but that would go perfectly with your 'travel' routine.

'Play from the pockets' be damned, though.
Where's my colon?!