Tenyo and the sound problem/music the solution?

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
RonP

Tenyo and the sound problem/music the solution?

Post by RonP » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:53 am

Many Tenyo have a small sound (clicking) problem, as we all know. Something happens (and we all love it!) but the spectator might get confused/distracted... The answer seems to be for many Tenyo tricks to be performed with music, which works very well for the camera and on youtube - and really also works well for some live performances, but not all Tenyo tricks work well in mime language. They need a spoken story (plus not all performers perform well with music only). What do YOU do? Talk over the click? Use music? Nothing, because you make the click a part of the trick (Crystal Cleaver "can you hear it cutting through..." etc)? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger (1892-1975)

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Re: Tenyo and the sound problem/music the solution?

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:59 pm

I usually just talk over the sounds. Most of the time the click is subtle enough that the talking covers for it. A couple of the louder ones I will try work into the trick. For instance in Crystal Pyramid I will say it is the sound of the coin jumping in the box.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Here's my most brazen use of music to cover the magic ;)
http://youtu.be/gjiPk8HSFGI
Now you see me...

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Great piece, Ride of the Valkyries Richard Wagner :D

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Depends on the trick and how it's presented. Do you have other Tenyo in mind or just Cleaver?

For example, Crystal Pyramid. I made the sound a part of the trick. I wrote the routine up somewhere on the forums and I'll have to find it. But I incorporate 'elves'. Seriously. Elves.
Some sounds are harder to cover than others and Crystal Pyramid is one of the louder ones.
Where's my colon?!

RonP

Post by RonP » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Good answers!!! Thank you all so much!!!
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger (1892-1975)