Oh you and your money tricks!

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

Oh you and your money tricks!

Post by Brett H » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:47 pm

So I'm slightly changing up a set and I've been scouring Planet Tenyo once again. This time, the idea is to use a $2 through an entire set--which means I have to use 3 separate Tenyo tricks that utilize money. Which isn't too bad of a selection--but I have the added stipulation that the utilized trick CANNOT use a table.

Some of them are definite 'YES! USE IT!', but after finding two surefire winners. I'm having a hard time with the 3rd. Which is funny because the reviews I see are rather poor for them.

I also do not know the gimmick to any of these. Although I have a good idea of Psychic Money and Fadeaway Case:

1) Cloud Money: Again, poor review and the least liked trick from 2011. The idea would be to have a spectator show that they are a magician and make a $2 float around. The only problem is that, even though I wouldn't need a table or a spectator touching the dollar bill immediately, I think it might be a hard sell that they would be doing magic by waving their arm around. On top of that, because I don't know the gimmick, I don't know if it suffers from angles--probably.

2) Fadeaway Case: I like this one the best, but the only thing I see about it is a Magiccafe mention on 'The WORST Tenyo' thread (Mainly because one or two people aren't sold that you can make magic out of an 'optical illusion'). The only thing is that I JUST looked at the trick a couple hours ago and can't find a whole lot of info about it. I know it uses A LOT of elements from Blue Crystal--a Lubor trick. But it's made by Toru Suzuki, of Crystal Cleaver fame. So I'm wondering if it suffers from angles as most of Lubors tricks. Also, it's an older trick that relies on some special optical illusion-making plastic, so I'm also curious if the plastic is still good, in 2015, to use for performing.
The bad side is that Fadeaway Case will run the highest dollar amount to acquire. It's also the fact that you're holding an odd GIANT square to achieve the effect and I'm not sure if that would send signals to the spectator.

3) Psychic Money: I think this would be along the same lines as Cloud Money, but I think it would be easier to sell that the spectator could make the dollar spin around--especially if I demonstrate that I cannot make the dollar bill balance first. I like this trick the most in the sense that you are using normal objects (dollar and a pencil) to achieve the effect. I'm just not sure if the effect is strong enough. I figure that with the proper presentation, anything can be made strong. I'm not sure if this is one of those tricks where the spectator is going to look at you cockeyed.
It's not the most eye-popping thing out there, but it DOES have this sort of 'improvised' effect feeling about it which kind of makes up for the lack of effect. I think.

I haven't been able to find much about all these tricks, is anyone able to shed light on any of these tricks? Quality issues? Other issues?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Oh you and your money tricks!

Post by SimonC » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:34 am

if you use a one dollar Bill presidents cabinet is a good one as it almost appears as a cut and restored Bill but the bit you've cut is a circle rather than a line.
if you were set on using a 2follar bill there's a cool trick where you take two one dollar bills fold them up and unfold them to reveal a single two dollar bill, so you could do PC then move on to the two dollar tricks.
http://youtu.be/EoD6ipsVUmk
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:39 am

this is my all time favourite dollar trick, it's a killer. I do it a lot with fake money as I'm cheap but on special occasions use real dollars. free choice, speccy cuts the bills. awesome

http://youtu.be/4cnMIJS-9Bc
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:27 am

SimonC wrote:this is my all time favourite dollar trick, it's a killer. I do it a lot with fake money as I'm cheap but on special occasions use real dollars. free choice, speccy cuts the bills. awesome

Ok I have NO IDEA how he does that! Is this for sale somewhere? And Simon, will this work with other currencies?

Brett, the tricks you mention aren't among my favourites. If I should choose one it would be Fadeaway Case becausse it has that clever optical illusion build into it and is very easy to do. But I agree the case looks 'suspicious' of course. There are no angle problems as far as I know, but I haven't performed this one a lot.
I never had problems operating mine, but again, I don't perform it a lot.

The other two aren't BAD tricks at all but they're just not my cup of tea. If performed fluently and correct they should be great and of course more 'organic' looking for a professional performance. They are not BAD tricks at all.

The first trick Simon linked to is called Two Dollar Window I believe. I got myself some two dollar bills just so I can perform this trick, because dollar bills are the only currency that will work since all dollars are the same size. Here's a link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/956
In the end I never performed this a lot by the way, using dollars in Europe for a magic trick is akward ... .

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:01 am

you can use any currency david you just need two of the same bill. It's wicked. I'm at work at the moment but when I get a bit of time I'll type up an explaination in the MO section
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:02 am

SimonC wrote:this is my all time favourite dollar trick, it's a killer. I do it a lot with fake money as I'm cheap but on special occasions use real dollars. free choice, speccy cuts the bills. awesome

Hey...you still perform that nice classic Simon ;) I think it is the most direct and impressive version of the cut and restored bills ever created. It is not so easy to find the "secret weapon" here unfortunately.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:20 am

Brett H wrote:So I'm slightly changing up a set and I've been scouring Planet Tenyo once again. This time, the idea is to use a $2 through an entire set--which means I have to use 3 separate Tenyo tricks that utilize money. Which isn't too bad of a selection--but I have the added stipulation that the utilized trick CANNOT use a table.

Some of them are definite 'YES! USE IT!', but after finding two surefire winners. I'm having a hard time with the 3rd. Which is funny because the reviews I see are rather poor for them.

I also do not know the gimmick to any of these. Although I have a good idea of Psychic Money and Fadeaway Case:

1) Cloud Money: Again, poor review and the least liked trick from 2011. The idea would be to have a spectator show that they are a magician and make a $2 float around. The only problem is that, even though I wouldn't need a table or a spectator touching the dollar bill immediately, I think it might be a hard sell that they would be doing magic by waving their arm around. On top of that, because I don't know the gimmick, I don't know if it suffers from angles--probably.

2) Fadeaway Case: I like this one the best, but the only thing I see about it is a Magiccafe mention on 'The WORST Tenyo' thread (Mainly because one or two people aren't sold that you can make magic out of an 'optical illusion'). The only thing is that I JUST looked at the trick a couple hours ago and can't find a whole lot of info about it. I know it uses A LOT of elements from Blue Crystal--a Lubor trick. But it's made by Toru Suzuki, of Crystal Cleaver fame. So I'm wondering if it suffers from angles as most of Lubors tricks. Also, it's an older trick that relies on some special optical illusion-making plastic, so I'm also curious if the plastic is still good, in 2015, to use for performing.
The bad side is that Fadeaway Case will run the highest dollar amount to acquire. It's also the fact that you're holding an odd GIANT square to achieve the effect and I'm not sure if that would send signals to the spectator.

3) Psychic Money: I think this would be along the same lines as Cloud Money, but I think it would be easier to sell that the spectator could make the dollar spin around--especially if I demonstrate that I cannot make the dollar bill balance first. I like this trick the most in the sense that you are using normal objects (dollar and a pencil) to achieve the effect. I'm just not sure if the effect is strong enough. I figure that with the proper presentation, anything can be made strong. I'm not sure if this is one of those tricks where the spectator is going to look at you cockeyed.
It's not the most eye-popping thing out there, but it DOES have this sort of 'improvised' effect feeling about it which kind of makes up for the lack of effect. I think.

I haven't been able to find much about all these tricks, is anyone able to shed light on any of these tricks? Quality issues? Other issues?
Hi Brett,

I personally suggest doing "Clear Surprise" by Tenyo. Just use a $2.00 bill for the appearance. In my opinion, "Clear Surprise" is one of the best of the newer Tenyo tricks, and presented properly, is a cooler fooler.

Good luck,
Bob~
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:31 am

I recently got alchemy of magic and was neither excited not disappointed. just kind of took it out the box, tried it then put it down. after I went back to it a few times I realised the part which always fell flat for me was the 'transformation' of the coin from slug to minted, I eventually settled on the way I will do it from now on which is working for me so far. I show it blank on both sides using the turnover method in the instructions (at this point speccy isn't anticipating the final phase and so is less suspicious) I then place it on the back of my thumb and... FLIP IT!! it's a very visual change and means I don't have to do any dodgy moves. basically you flip it and catch it, you can feel in your hand if you just need to open your hand or turn it over in the process. either way looks natural. the nice thing is it seems a little more magical. and from our point of view its a bit like using the blur tool on photoshop ;)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Re: Oh you and your money tricks! I

Post by Brett H » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:56 am

"Hold crap, we're drinking from the same cup!"

I hope not mate, not if you go around holding crap when you're excited!
Where's my colon?!