Koornwinder's Kar, Ultraslice, & more

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

Koornwinder's Kar, Ultraslice, & more

Post by Brett H » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:52 am

All right. I know I've been blathering about it for ages now. But I've recently acquired an entire haul of Tenyo fit for the children's hospital show was making for Las Vegas. Which was for a room that could fit around 15 people.

And then we decided to move to Texas, almost on a whim.

Has to do with family, the absolutely horrendous education system in Las Vegas, constant PTSD triggers for me here, and our oh-so-fun landlords giving us 30 days notice immediately after our trip from Texas. Whole lot of fun in a short amount of time.

So I was looking up the closest children's hospital I could go to and it looks like it's going to be Children's Hospital of Dallas. Thing is that Ryan Seacrest of American Idol fame has funded an entire entertainment studio for THAT hospital (as well as several others around the country). And when I spoke with the coordinator, the studio was under renovation to accommodate more seating for the live performers.

Now I'm sweating bullets. As the entire thing for the show I'm building is to have each individual child come up and do a magic trick; something that the small playroom in Las Vegas could be easily worked with.

They weren't able to give me any information on how much larger or how much more seating there would be (guess it's in early states of renovation). But now I'm looking at a more and more Tenyo videos and trying to find a way so that a child can do them. And I came up with a couple possible ideas. But since you guys (and gal) are the Tenyo experts, I have some questions:

Ultraslice: Is the gimmick fragile? I say this because I recently acquired Hanky Panky and was disappointed to find that I might get a dozen performances out of it and OOPS! performance failure and I'm permanently out 1 trick. I need to get my hands on an Ultraslice, but I want to make sure that it's a bit steadier than Hanky Panky.

New Koorwinder Kar: This one looks like a child can participate and work the car. With that in mind, do you HAVE to use the cards they provide? Or can you provide your own?
As I type this, the question becomes easier: Is the gimmick transferable?

Also, part of the Studio that this hospital provides is that they stream video of the live performances to all the rooms for the kids who aren't able to make it to the studio. I'm now racking my head for additional tricks that could be 'interactive' for an audience that can't be there. Are there any Tenyo that COULD fit this bill?
I know part of it comes down to presentation, and so far I have Super Cubio. I have the audience yell 'stop' and it stops only for them and not me.

Thanks in advance!
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Koornwinder's Kar, Ultraslice, & more

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:15 am

Brett, I can't emphasize enough how great it is what you're doing. Sorry to hear about the moving-hassle, I hope you'll have some peace and quiet in the near future.

Ultraslice: no, the gimmick isn't fragile. I may get a bit 'loose' over time but that's not a problem when handled right. By the way, they are still easy to find and not expensive at all, even for a BNIP one (30 USD range).

Koornwinder Car: You can use any card (or object for that matter) you want. The child can PUSH the car from behind forwards. She or he can not push ON the car for obvious reasons. It's a great trick. As far as I know the gimmick is not transferable, but why would that be needed? It looks exactly like it should: an ungimmicked, simple toy car.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Thank you for the support! Yeah the move is a bit nutty. It'll be much better after we get down there. Vegas has, and continues to be, a hassle on all fronts.

That's good news on Ultraslice! Both the gimmick AND price. I'll also need to get crayons, but that's easier to work!

As for 'Kar, I thought there's was something you have to do with the cards that make the car stop. But seeing as you can also use objects, that makes it a bit more interesting. That's where the 'transferable' came from; if this supposed 'gimmick' in the cards were built into them or they just affix into the cards themselves.
But if I understand it correctly. It's just the Kar. Which now peaks my curiosity. And is multitudes easier to work from what it sounds like!
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:01 am

It's indeed the car Brett, the cards or objects have nothing to do with it :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:00 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:It's indeed the car Brett, the cards or objects have nothing to do with it :)
Thank you for the help!
Where's my colon?!