Magic Painting & Magic Memo Pad questions

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

Magic Painting & Magic Memo Pad questions

Post by Brett H » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:52 pm

I have some questions regarding a couple of not frequently used Tenyo and I want to make sure I make the most educated buy possible.

Magic Painting: it's a card trick. Can this be done if the cards are in protective cases? I do this with all my Tenyo card tricks because I don't want to wear the cards down and have to get a new one because the cards look scummy. If there is a gimmick, I have no idea what it is.

Magic Memo Pad: I know in the demonstration video, it's done with a...well...a memo pad. Can this be done with a larger drawing pad? And/or a thicker stock paper like an art pad? I have a really educated guess in what gimmick is provided, I'm just not sure on the entirety on how it all comes together (thanks, magiccafe)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Magic Painting & Magic Memo Pad questions

Post by SimonC » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Magic painting: unless your card protectors are super thin cellophane and clear probably not. but if they are they may work.

Memo Pad: you can use any memo pad of a similar size. I've never been able to do a very good job of this trick
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:03 pm

SimonC wrote:Magic painting: unless your card protectors are super thin cellophane and clear probably not. but if they are they may work.

Memo Pad: you can use any memo pad of a similar size. I've never been able to do a very good job of this trick
Ah man, that rules out Magic Painting.

Although it's interesting that Memk Pad is dependent on the actual size of the pad.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:15 pm

memo pad is more mechanical than you may imagine at first, I was surprised at the construction, and the fact that YOU have to make it!
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm

MEMO PAD

I like this trick very much.

As Si states, you will need to assemble the gimmick, but I took my time, and in the end, the gimmick was very satisfactory to me. (by it's very nature, it is a tad-bit fragile)

I practiced this effect for a couple of hours, and then badly fooled Mrs BluBob. That is not easy to do as she has seen so many tricks over the years. Given a little time/practice, the trick worked flawlessly and was surprising to Mrs magicians wife. I have preformed it many times since, and find it to be fun stuff.

I suggest using Memo Pads of approximately the same size as the one shipped with the trick, but anything close will be fine. That size Memo Pad will make the actual working of the trick feel more comfortable.

Hope this helps ...
and now, on with the show ...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Magic Painting is a juvenile trick, best done for kids.

Magic Memo Pad is an excellent trick, and the gimmick is sized exactly for the pad that is supplied. The difficult in doing it comes because the pad tends to buckle between your thumb and fingers squeezing opposite sides while the same hand works the gimmick.

So try this: get a piece of hard plastic, white, and cut it to the size of a piece of paper in the pad. Then glue it (or use double stick tape) to the inside of the cardboard back of the pad. You'll find that this makes the trick 100% easier to do. At least that's how I do it.

zhixiang

Post by zhixiang » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:33 pm

I agree with Jimmy that Magic Memo Pad is a great trick. To prevent the buckle issue, I suggest getting a pad with a thicker cardboard behind it. Tilting the pad backward will help to activate the gimmick and enable the coin to slide more easily.
Can an illusion change emotion?

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:33 am

All right! Thanks for the quick and detailed info, everyone!

I can't wait to get my hands on one, and I will have to write all of this down for when I do get it to help during performing.

Thanks again!
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:42 am

I'm going to try the memo pad anti-buckle idea today as I always felt a bit bummed about it, it looks so good in the clips and I always made a pigs ear of it.
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:53 pm

I know you can do it, Simon!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Brett H wrote:All right! Thanks for the quick and detailed info, everyone!

I can't wait to get my hands on one, and I will have to write all of this down for when I do get it to help during performing.

Thanks again!
No need to write it down, it will be here forever. Just bookmark the thread.

Niels_Jitterbug

Post by Niels_Jitterbug » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks Richard for the tip on stiffening the cardboard back of the notepad, because Magic Memo Pad did not work for me either. Went to get new pads, tried different sizes. Ended up with a similar size pad, but it was much thicker. The trick just wouldn't work properly and I screwed up big time in a performance (now my kids know I am a cheating magician). Then I noticed I had to make the pad a lot thinner, actually make it the same thickness as the one supplied with the trick. And, yes, the buckling of the back problem occurred as well.

The suggested stiffening plate might indeed help.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:16 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Magic Painting is a juvenile trick, best done for kids.

Magic Memo Pad is an excellent trick, and the gimmick is sized exactly for the pad that is supplied. The difficult in doing it comes because the pad tends to buckle between your thumb and fingers squeezing opposite sides while the same hand works the gimmick.

So try this: get a piece of hard plastic, white, and cut it to the size of a piece of paper in the pad. Then glue it (or use double stick tape) to the inside of the cardboard back of the pad. You'll find that this makes the trick 100% easier to do. At least that's how I do it.
====================================================================
Thank you Richard, great tip!
and now, on with the show ...

Javier rojo

Post by Javier rojo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:13 pm

https://youtu.be/3j7I3LhkNQk creo que esta seria otra bonita manera de presentar memo pad junto a otro gran juego tenyo

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:06 pm

Javier rojo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:13 pm
https://youtu.be/3j7I3LhkNQk creo que esta seria otra bonita manera de presentar memo pad junto a otro gran juego tenyo
What a nice combination ...very good...I love it :) :)