Money Shock and different bills

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

Money Shock and different bills

Post by Brett H » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:07 pm

All right. So I have a (financially friendly) idea for Money Shock. But I have a couple of questions before I spring forward and try to make an entire routine based on US bills.

1) I know the one that uses the U.S. Bills calls for $10 bills only. I would much rather use $2 bills for the novelty of it all. Can one do Money Shock with $2 bills?

2) When you produce all 5 bills and lay them on the table, is each bill 100% inspectable? The reason for this would be that 5 people each get a bill to be later used in 5 individual bill effects.

Any hep is greatly appreciated!
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Money Shock and different bills

Post by SimonC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:14 pm

you may have to steal away the gimmick before laying them flat out but it's possible, nice idea :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:35 pm

All right! That's awesome. Thank you for the fast response. I have some ideas (Psychic Money, Trisector, Clear Surprise done in reverse) but I'm lacking a 4th and 5th Tenyo that ISN'T Fadeaway Case as they are damn near impossible to find.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:52 pm

sounds like a cool routine you have planned :)
did you ever see my tenyo at the movies video? I did one for a bunch of tricks where bills are cut/damaged/etc called "kill bill"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:58 pm

SimonC wrote:sounds like a cool routine you have planned :)
did you ever see my tenyo at the movies video? I did one for a bunch of tricks where bills are cut/damaged/etc called "kill bill"
I have not seen the video, but guess what I'm about to do!

It's been a while since I've looked at the movie posters and your Tenyo/movie fusions--especially the 'Find the Tenyo'; which I should go back to since I've practically burned by eyes out looking at Planet Tenyo.

But looking at your poster, I have completely looked over Money Shredder. Are there any fragility issues, knacky issues, or not consistent issues that I should be aware of?
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Brett H wrote:
SimonC wrote: But looking at your poster, I have completely looked over Money Shredder. Are there any fragility issues, knacky issues, or not consistent issues that I should be aware of?
No problems with being fragile, but from what I have read over the years it sometimes fails for some people. I think (!) I tried it once or twice (a bit of a hassle to set up when you're not used to it, but nothing difficult once you get the hang of it I think) and it worked OK with me though. Very clever trick, a bit underestimated. Another Tenyo I would need to dust off and look at (and try) again :)

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Money Shredder definitely takes some practice to do smoothly without the spec noticing exactly what happened. Also sometimes the paper decides not to cooperate and doesn't want to rip so easily. :)

With regards to Money Shock I'm not so sure how easy it is to remove the gimmick. I think it may be tricky to do in full view of the spectators.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Elliot W. wrote:Money Shredder definitely takes some practice to do smoothly without the spec noticing exactly what happened. Also sometimes the paper decides not to cooperate and doesn't want to rip so easily. :)

With regards to Money Shock I'm not so sure how easy it is to remove the gimmick. I think it may be tricky to do in full view of the spectators.
All right. I can handle knacky...well mostly knacky, Money Splash is still giving me issues, but I think I figured out 'Splash this morning. Anyway.

Types of paper. If consistency is an issue, is there a certain type of paper that WOULD cooperate better than others? Like tissue paper or wax paper?

Actually, tissue paper might be too flimsy. Was paper might work, although would it be too tough to rip in this instance?
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:44 am

Newspaper perhaps?

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:46 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Newspaper perhaps?
I did find something in Magiccafe that says something along the lines of heavily creasing the paper and having a tiny tear in the middle. But also to crease the bill for performance purposes. Makes sense. Still don't know how it works, but the method makes sense (for what it's worth)

Also! Since I'm bouncing all over the place. Money Cutter! Anything I should know about?

And can you use a normal playing card instead of the odd sword? And is the tube made out of metal?
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:36 am

The tube is made out of plastic. I don't know a playing card can could work, I don't have it by hand at the moment but if no one knows I'll try it out and let you know. If it's sturdy enough (which I doubt) it might work.

Money Cutter is among many people's Tenyo 'BLEH' tricks. No gimmicks, what you see happening is exactly what's happening, the sword doesn't go through the bill of course, so the only thing that's possible is that it ... well, think a bit, not too hard, and you'll figure it out ;)

However, this presentation elevates the basic Money Cutter routine and makes it an actual good trick! Perhaps this routine will be in Richard's book? If not, I don't think it's that hard to figure out for us. I believe the paper and bill need to be aligned at an exact angle/place so you can make it happen. Perhaps this is not as easy as it seems in the video though!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:18 am

Money Cutter is typically one of those tricks that makes everyone's top ten worst Tenyo list. It looks OK I guess but doesn't really fool anybody.
The way he did it in the video does make it a little bit better. Although, I don't think he needed to align anything but rather just do something beforehand to make it come out like that. ;)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Yeeesh. 'Money Cutter' sounds like it's 'uphill with roller skates' in making a good routines with it. I THINK I have an idea how it works. But I also still have the 'laymens eyes'. I'm still fascinated by the easy stuff.

Also doesn't help that I stopped trying to figure out stuff after I tried figuring out a slew of the Lubor Fiedler Tenyo.

Bad idea. Confidence busted!

Fortunately, there's enough 'bill tricks' in the Tenyo inventory to get this routine idea to work without resorting to 'Money Cutter', but man. Did not see that coming; the fact that it's one of the least favorite Tenyos of all.

As always, thank you all for the words of experience, and the fact that you have such collections to speak about about them.

Thanks again!
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:29 pm

All right. It's been a while since I have put a lot of thought into the Money Shock routines. But I have another one.

I read a few articles pertaining to POWs in German Camps during WWII.

I read that Monopoly games were sent that had cleverly hidden items and tools hidden in the board. So clever, it would make Tenyo Magic jealous.
One of the things was that there was ACTUAL currency used in these games that were distributed. Local currency at that time.

Now, if you've played Monopoly, you have the denominations: 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500.

7 different bills. But Money Shock has 5 spots. Is it possible to ADD two more papers for Money Shock?

On top of that, since we are dealing with a completely different currency, would you still be able to use the gimmick, provided you can get the appropriate papers printed?
Where's my colon?!