Repair Ninja Experiment

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
John B.
Charter Member

Repair Ninja Experiment

Post by John B. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Any ideas to fix/replace the black sponge foam "curtains" on the Ninja Experiment? Seeing as though these are getting old and the foam will begin to fall apart I was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas on what type of material could be used to replace it.

The white caps that hold the foam in place in the center of the frame appear to be glued/bonded to the clear plastic making the foam difficult to replace. One thing I was considering would be to install a replacement on the outside of the cap. In a perfect world, the mod would be reversible and not permanent. I was thinking about felt or velvet secured via double-sided tape. Maybe a small piece of thin decorative ribbon along the outer edge of the felt to make it look nice?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Repair Ninja Experiment

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:31 am

I have tried to take apart a Ninja Experiment ending up braking it into pieces. So do not try to take it apart.
I have also been thinking about putting some velvet or sponge-like material on the outside, never tried it yet though, but it should work. Do take in mind that you'll Ninja Experiment probably looses some value when you're altering it.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:16 am

not sure, send me one and ill have a look ;)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 am

Ninja Experiment is a must-have for all Tenyo collectors or even people who just like to collect nice micro magic. It was one of the items I had no idea how it worked after seeing Roberto's video (which was shot in 'ideal' conditions ;) ).

Do take in mind when you receive it and want to perform it the lightning conditions have to be good or your spectors will probably find out how it works.

They sometimes pop up on Ebay and the ones in used condition (often with some tears in the black tissue - you should always ask the seller about this) sell for reasonable prices (125 - 250 USD).

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 am

Ninja Experiment is a wonderful trick! I love the mechanics of its working. I would like to see a nice wooden version of this one!

I suspect the reason that it is so expensive these days probably has a lot to do with very few being made as well people potentially throwing away the ones with torn or damaged foam. It's up there with Mirage and Sidetrack, tricks for which people may accidentally break and throw away.

Greg C
Charter Member

Post by Greg C » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Instead of replacing the foam with more foam, you might consider gluing on each side of the slot some of the really fat, fuzzy pipe cleaners available in craft stores. These should "close around" the pencils better than foam. Epoxy or Super Glue gel should work well with the plastic.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:14 am

Found a solution to the worn sponge problem.

Removed sponge, modelled four balsa wood baton strips, attached stick-on soft brush draught excluder tape.

A baton sticks to each side of slots with double-sided tape, brushes meet in the middle.

Really pleased with the finished result, balsa colour compliments colour scheme, pencils glide through the brushes, giving perfect cover. Brushes are durable, easily replaceable. Although batons secure, they're easily removable, leaving no trace.

Such a strong effect, thought it worthy to give it a new lease of life.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:49 am

Great idea! Do you have a photo you can share of how it turned out?

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:54 pm

[album][/album]

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:27 am

Think it needs a little more information. 😉
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Raymond,

I received your message about posting pictures.

You should be able to.

Make sure you are in the "Full Editor and Preview" mode
then click on the "Attachments" tab
next on the "Add files" button
then navigate to find the file on your computer
then "Place inline" button
I think the file size limit is 1 meg (1000K)
The file below is 300K
Adding Files.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:29 pm

I`ve successfully fixed the foam! Ill try and find the info

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Here ya go, assuming you are on the facebook tenyo collectors page? Otherwise you may not be able to see these...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenyoma ... 348985233/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenyoma ... 492320752/

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:59 am

Regarding my Ninja Experiment modification, using balsa batons and soft brush stick-on draught excluder tape, photo's now on view in the 'Performing Tenyo' Topic.