Prison Box: what do I need to know?

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

Prison Box: what do I need to know?

Post by Brett H » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Okay, so in my quest to construct the children's hospital show, I have been looking at Tenyo that are WAY out of my price range. However, it's a good one:

Prison Box

I like it because it uses...a handkerchief: a chief element in the show :D

So I have some questions before I devote myself to obsessively seeking one:

- Does it have fragility issues?
- I will more than likely have a child next to me, but I can more than likely protect some angle issues. Is is feasible to work in this scenario?
- can I use my own ring?

Anything else I should know about this thing?

Any information is greatly appreciated by you experienced hats!
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Re: Prison Box: what do I need to know?

Post by VictorS » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:27 pm

Brett,

In my opinion, PB is one of the best tenyo ever invented. It has a very good locking mechanism. It is fragile but if you handle it right everything will be ok. You can use your own ring. Butttt....looking at the rarity of the prop and the price, I will take it as collectors item and will not use it in a regular show. Could be good for special occasion. There are many other similar magic effects like the monkey bars or jumping knot that use can use for children's magic show. But not PB in my opinion.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:54 am

as a tenyo fan prison box is a classic that's one of the 'essentials' for your collection. the rub is that it's quite tricky to come by and therefore may be pricey now. once I had the brainworm that I wanted one it took me a good few months to find one in my price range. fortunately for me my collection is for items to perform so mint/packaging etc is not high on my list. my advice, get one for sure but be patient, you won't be disappointed. I amused myself during the wait by obsessively sketching out possible solutions to it (some close, most wrong) it's the kind of tenyo that delivers that fantastic "ahhhhhhhhh THATS awesome!" moment when you finally discover it's secret. you can use any ring and it has good scope for a kids performance as you do the 'sucker' phase where they think they've got you sussed (they think you're just turning the unit over behind your back) As Vic said its a little delicate to let them get their grubby paws on. you'll be glad to have it in your case, just set yourself a price and enjoy the hunt :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:09 am

Agreed. A must have fot every Tenyo and micro-magic collector. And yes, you do need to handle it with some care - there are two 'parts' that you can not bend too far or they will brake off. Not a problem, but in the hands of nosy children this might be an issue. A brief examination should be fine.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:15 am

I'd let them examine with their eyes ;)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:47 am

I should have been a bit more specific.

In no way shape or form would they have their hands on it, it's more of them being next to me, placing the handkerchief and telling everyone where the ring will go next (at least, I'm under the impression that the holder of the box can 'control the action').

It's basically meant to look like they are doing everything, and I'm the 'assistant' that holds the box.
At least, this handling makes the most sense to me.

Sounds like I need to save my pennies, despite the fragility issue! I'm usually careful with my Tenyo, so I should be fine. Then again, I'm scared to death to work 'Hanky Prnetration'.

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Oh! Question:

On the topic of fragility, and I'll be as vague about this as I can.

How fragile are we talking about? I try and steer clear of fragile Tenyo as I can, however, I did manage to get 'Hanky Penetration'.

Is 'Prison Box' fragility like 'Hanky Penetration' fragile? Like you know it's eventually going to crap out at, more than likely, at some inopportune time
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:19 pm

when used properly it shouldn't be an issue, the fragile parts would however struggle to be moved in a direction it doesn't want to
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Simon said it all ... if 'fragile' is your only concern, this is NOT the reason NOT to buy this trick.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:04 am

Prison Box is my favorite Tenyo effect!

I predict that once you have one, you will love it, and will find the most effective use for your purposes.

This is the Tenyo trick which is beyond clever.
and now, on with the show ...

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:47 am

Absolutely superb effect!! one of the best Tenyo for sure, and created by a Brit so say no more lol :D

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:52 am

Well then! Prison Box it is! Going to cost a helluva lot of scrap, but from what it sounds and the ideas I have for using it, it'll be completely worth it!

I just have the cash on hand when one pops up on the good ol EBay. That's going to be the toughest part.
Where's my colon?!

hung3923

Post by hung3923 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:05 am

Concerning the storage of it, do not store in a place with direct sunlight. Try to keep it cool and dry. It will be better if you can store in an air-tight bag which oxygen cannot get in. This can let the plastic lasts for a longer time and prevent the colour of the box turn tarnish. Also, do not tighten up the screw and keep it loose when storing. It can leave some rusty dirt on the surface if you tighten it for a long time.