The most practice!

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

The most practice!

Post by Brett H » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:36 pm

It's no secret that all Tenyo have varying degrees of practice that can go into them. Some can work for you right out of the box. Some take quite a few hours--even days of practice to get right.

So here's my questions:

1) Of the Tenyo you have, what trick took the most practice to get right?

2) Of all the Tenyo you have, what have you put the most time into practicing?

For me:
1) Magical Burger: 'Happy Burger'. I created a way to do away with part of the method, in turn, it ended up as sort of a bizarre 'pneumonica stack'. Took me about 2 weeks to figure out in my own with zero experience in pneumonica stacking or 'mind palaces'.
This was all because John Mazza told me that it was a bit tough, and I totally clamped onto that notion. I MADE it harder. I'm a determined nutjob.

2) I placed about a months worth of work into Impossible Pen and I still don't have it down to a science. I am convinced that part of its 'inconsistency' is due to my handling. But I'm still working on making a 'Pen handling that cuts down on the 'failure rate' dramatically. It's the handling with the handkerchief instead of the props, and it's tougher to work with. But man, it looks so much cleaner.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: The most practice!

Post by SimonC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Yep, with you on the impossible pen, I'm still working on it!
Bare bones has a lot of steps to remember and if I leave it longer than a week I totally forget.
I have a similar problem with eclipse too.
My magic works pyramid is a bit glitchy but I suppose that's not a practice issue. It's a shame as its one of. Y favourite mechanisms, I laughed out loud as I saw it first activate :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:56 pm

SimonC wrote:Yep, with you on the impossible pen, I'm still working on it!
Bare bones has a lot of steps to remember and if I leave it longer than a week I totally forget.
I have a similar problem with eclipse too.
My magic works pyramid is a bit glitchy but I suppose that's not a practice issue. It's a shame as its one of. Y favourite mechanisms, I laughed out loud as I saw it first activate :)
I also have the Magic Works pyramid. It's neat, but it's too unreliable for me. It's awkward to pack, it's noisy, the 'eye' is hard for me to determine what I'm looking at. Oi vey.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:43 am

oi vey indeed.
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:56 am

For me I would have to say Squeeze Play. A great trick but needed a lot of practice to get the "squeeze" down so that it works every time.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:11 pm

I have the opposite with squeeze play, it's one of the tricks I can happily pluck out at any time. my advice is give it a little bias to the left as you squeeze for a nano-second :)
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:43 am

I spent many hours with FORTUNE DONUT.
I posted my thoughts, tips, and improved moves oh here not too long ago.

I agree with IMPOSSIBLE PEN. It's seems very difficult to reach 100 percent assiduity.
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:53 am

I think the clues in the name with impossible pen ;)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:31 am

As I once wrote on my website, I found out that oiling the plates of Squeeze Play make it a lot more reliable due to less friction. Just put one tiny (!) drop of oil on a soft cloth and wrap it gently on both plates. You'll noitce it works a lot more fluently!