The Best 'Cubio'

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

The Best 'Cubio'

Post by Brett H » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:14 pm

All right. I just got 'Big Mac Cubio' earlier in the week. After testing it out against 'Super Cubio', there are a lot of notable differences between the two.
You also have the regular 'Cubio' and a Winnie the Pooh variant. And I think there's some other Tenyo variants (the 'Angel' versions, I think)

So I ask this: what do you think is the best 'Cubio'?
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Re: The Best 'Cubio'

Post by Elliot W. » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Don't forget the Pokemon version. :)

I think usually just end up using the plain vanilla version . It's small, fits in your pocket and does the job.

I don't have the Big Mac version. Just curious as to what the notable differences are.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:00 am

Elliot W. wrote:Don't forget the Pokemon version. :)

I think usually just end up using the plain vanilla version . It's small, fits in your pocket and does the job.

I don't have the Big Mac version. Just curious as to what the notable differences are.
I did not know there was a Pokemon one! That's funny!

I like the bigger Cubios. They can play to a larger audience, even though they may raise suspicion

Big Mac has tiny yellow rings at the ends of the rope, the fact that it looks like a burger, it's the same HEIGHT as Super Cubio--but is 1/4" WIDER than Super Cubio; and the gimmick is...different.
It does the same thing as every other Cubio, you just activate the gimmick in a different way. I think, with some practice, you can activate it without having to look at it.
Last edited by Brett H on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:24 am

it would be cool to do one shaped like a tardis or the great glass elevator :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:43 pm

SimonC wrote:it would be cool to do one shaped like a tardis or the great glass elevator :)
THIS!

Now, go build it, Mr. Engineer!

Witchbeard's Tardis!
Where's my colon?!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:27 am

I was just thinking (uh-oh!), the best Cubio would depend on what you want it to look like, be made of, and so on...

If you are using it for children, some character they can relate to would be great if you can get one of those. If you want the object to have substantial weight to it, the one made by Kanter and the one made in Germany many years ago would be perfect. Those had a different color spot enameled on four sides. Royal made a plastic one many years ago as well.

The standard Tenyo Cubio is just fine and I love the Tenyo Super Cubio!

I have seen three different designed models made of wood and are larger for parlor performances.

So, there you have it! Many choices, some easier to acquire than others but all terrific in their own way.

By the way, Cubio is one of my all-time favorite tricks and I used to always carry one around with me at all times.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:21 pm

If you like Cubio be sure and check out this video. It's called Rising Golden Ball and although not sold as a magic effect it certainly can be played that way. Watch the last few seconds of the video and pause it when they show an open picture of the ball. I made myself a 3" version out of a chrome ball used for candy at Christmas time. I used my drill press as a lathe to turn the inside pulley out of wood and it works really well, looks like real magic and the audience is always very surprised to see the ball climb back up the string!

See the video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LLChBqknCI

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks for sharing the video Peter. Very cool!

If many become familiar with it because it's readily available to the general public, it diminishes the value of Cubio as a magical effect. It does more than Cubio by far!

Cubio will still have value if shown to those not familiar with the Rising Golden Ball of course.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:58 am

I have a Tenyo McDonalds Burger Cubio in Sealed Japanese Package.

If anyone is interested send me an email. jmazza1@comcast.net

THIS ITEM IS NOW SOLD

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Neither the silver ball, nor "Angel Cube," are the same as The Obedient Ball (which is what "Cubio" is, but with a locking system).

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:44 pm

I did recently get an Angel's Cube and I was very disappointed with it.

It is very flimsy and there is not much too it at all.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Same here. Managed to get an Angels Cube for a fairly high price and was disappointed as well. Looks cute but doesn't really do a whole lot. Cubio is much better.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Tenyo considers "Angel Cube" a toy, not a magic trick, which is why it was not included in Tenyoism.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 pm

The best Cubio I have I bought in the 60s probably older than that. It is really nice solid brass. Got a nice weight to it looks great it works as good as it looks. I don't have the box it came in so I can't remember who made it but you would have to pry out all the out of my cold dead hand to get it. :)
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Richard W wrote:The best Cubio I have I bought in the 60s probably older than that. It is really nice solid brass. Got a nice weight to it looks great it works as good as it looks. I don't have the box it came in so I can't remember who made it but you would have to pry out all the out of my cold dead hand to get it. :)
My guess is that it's the one made in Germany. It's very similar to the Kanter Triple Mystery Cube which was their name for Cubio because they included a third Lie Detector effect in the instructions. It was made for Kanter by Brema.

There was a slight difference in the design but practically identical to each other.

I used one of those Kanter ones so much that I actually wore it out! It would slip and not stop properly. So, I took a drill and went in to see what the gimmick looked like.

By the way, if I recall correctly, the German one had beads at each end of the string and came in a small white box. The Kanter string had a knot tied at each end but no bead and the cube itself was wrapped in tissue with the string coming out of each end of the tissue paper.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 am

Steve S. wrote:
Richard W wrote:The best Cubio I have I bought in the 60s probably older than that. It is really nice solid brass. Got a nice weight to it looks great it works as good as it looks. I don't have the box it came in so I can't remember who made it but you would have to pry out all the out of my cold dead hand to get it. :)
My guess is that it's the one made in Germany. It's very similar to the Kanter Triple Mystery Cube which was their name for Cubio because they included a third Lie Detector effect in the instructions. It was made for Kanter by Brema.

There was a slight difference in the design but practically identical to each other.

I used one of those Kanter ones so much that I actually wore it out! It would slip and not stop properly. So, I took a drill and went in to see what the gimmick looked like.

By the way, if I recall correctly, the German one had beads at each end of the string and came in a small white box. The Kanter string had a knot tied at each end but no bead and the cube itself was wrapped in tissue with the string coming out of each end of the tissue paper.

Steve you're absolutely right it was made in Germany and it was the one with the beads on each end I think it did say it was made by Brema. Mine still works perfectly.
Last edited by Richard W on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:50 am

Interesting. I have a brass cubio somewhere, with beads, but I don't think it's made by Brema (or Berma).

I've always found the cubio trick difficult to work with (Cubio, Supercubio or the brass cubio). I'm probably doing something wrong, I know :)

I always thought Angel Cube would be superior; from what I can read on Stereo's blog it can ascend and descend and has flapping 'wings'. But it seems not to be that good. Thanks for this info guys.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:30 am

Richard W wrote:
Steve S. wrote:

Steve you're absolutely right it was made in Germany and it was the one with the beads on each end I think it did say it was made by Brema. Mine still works perfectly.
Please allow me to clarify...

The one made in Germany had no hallmark. The Kanter one had a K in a circle engraved on one of the blank sides where the string comes out of the cube.

I failed to mention that before the Kanter one, there was one made by Brema. If I recall correctly, it came in a white box with printing on it and I don't remember if it was hallmarked but Brema had their own hallmark design and used it on many of their brass pieces. It may have had beads on each end but I don't remember. I do know that the Kanter one had no beads.

I shared a story with John Mazza yesterday which would explain why I am so sure that the Kanter model had no beads. I worked for Kanter's Magic Shop and sold their Cubio in the shop. In fact, I sold hundreds of them over a ten year period. Their Cubio was called TRIPLE MYSTERY CUBE because they included a third use as a LIE DETECTOR TEST in their lengthy instructions. You would ask the spectator a question and the cube would swing in one direction for yes and the other direction for no. We had only one copy of those instructions and used a primitive portable Xerox type machine to make copies to provide to those who bought it. Eventually, that single copy was misplaced and I would have to show the purchaser how to use it. I don't even have those instructions. Bummer!

So there you have it! If anyone wants to provide me with a photo of their Cubio, I will tell you for certain which one you have.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:46 am

Mine has no hallmark and has beads. Cubio was invented by Carl Brema it says in the long list below. I'm confident mine is a Carl Brema. Probably why it still works has same string and beads.

https://www.magictricks.com/who-invented-it.html

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 am

The Brema one was identical to the Kanter one but without the hallmark. Brema made them for Kanter so it was indeed the same design. After jogging my mind, I now recall that Brema did not hallmark it because of it's small size and their hallmark was too elaborate to fit on the cube. Yes, Brema is credited with it's creation.

By the way, Carl Brema's son Bill continued the business after his father. There was a guy in the magic and novelty business who worked for Brema when he was a young fella. He continued to sell magic until his death. He was in his 90's. I went to visit him shortly before he passed away and had a great time reminiscing about the old days in magic. I bought some of my first ticks from him when I started out.

I just located another Cubio thread here on this forum.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Looking at the Kanter and the Brema the Kanter ones looks to have slightly wider grooves cut into the circles that paint goes in on all sides. It is noticeable if you have both to see at the same time. Anyway the question was The Best Cubio I say hands down it is the Brema the original. :mrgreen:

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Do the Kanter or Brema cubes have a locking mechanism like Tenyo's?

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:51 pm

No they don't have any locking mech but unless you have the right color facing up and push the cord in on both sides at the same time or block one end and push cord in the other it will not set. in over 50 years I have never had anyone even come close to setting it by accident or figure it out. Put that with the build quality of bring nice brass not cheap pitted cast looking brass it is the best one IMHO. Easy to carry, very small, loose it in your pocket, and after 50 plus years works as good as it did new. ;)
Last edited by Richard W on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:57 pm

I think that's what RK was referring to. They do lock and unlock.

The easiest thing to do is to set it to work before you present it to your spectator. Then unlock it when you hand it out for the spectator to examine and try.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Oh ok I don't have a Tenyo Cubio so guessed he meant a physical locking mech so it cannot be accidentally found out.

And you have to have a different color facing up to unset the mech and tap it on the counter.

I was showed by the great Jack Sutherland that was the semi magician at the famous Bert Easleys Fun Shop here where I spent most my childhoods days how to set it right in front of them with one hand when I bought mine. Easier to set it with one hand when the cord is not worn out from decades of use. Jack Sutherland opened Sun Magic after leaving Bert Easleys fun shop it became very well known. He was friends with many of the top performers back then his best friends was Harry Anderson.