Necessity is the Mother of Invention - Alt Crystal Cleaver

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
JohnM
Site Admin

Necessity is the Mother of Invention - Alt Crystal Cleaver

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Never have truer words been spoken. I got in a collection of loose Tenyo to sell and the Crystal Cleaver was missing the ring. Not a big deal as any ring can be used. But then the mind started thinking of other items that could be used there. If the ring was there, the mind would not have turned on, but with the empty crystal box it started working almost on it's own.

Well I though of trying a 5 yen coin. Good idea but will it work. YES!

The size is perfect and the holes all line up. You just have to practice a bit to see at what level to insert the sword. For sure you do not want to struggle with inserting the sword. I think it is even a more amazing trick when using the coin. The penetration of the ring looks good but the penetration of the coin is totally baffling.
crystalcleaver5yen.jpg
You can see more of my routines at http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/performin ... -routines/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter G
Charter Member

Re: Necessity is the Mother of Invention - Alt Crystal Cleav

Post by Peter G » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Great idea! By the way, I do believe that this is one of the most strong Tenyo available.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:07 pm

It is my clear #1 favorite.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:17 pm

That's a great idea John!!.........you went from 1 dimensión (a ring: circle line) to 2 dimensions (a coin: disc).

To scale to a 3 dimensional versión it would mean to use a small ball with a hole....it is possible....but for that if would be necesary to modify the clear box.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Great Idea using the 5 yen coin looks much better than the thin ring.
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42 pm

CC was the first tenyo I ever bought (before I knew about the company) still have the one I bought, taking pride of place in my cabinet. Still works perfectly. It's the trick that got me hooked on the mechanical side of magic and that taught me that just because its small and innocent looking, doesn't mean it can't hold a whole world of deviousness.
Now you see me...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Awesome idea John! Crystal Cleaver is the quintessential Tenyo item, and this enhancement takes it to another level.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Crystal Cleaver was one of my first items as well only I bought the cheapo copy of it first. It worked great for about 3 times before the lock broke and the gimmick would not stay in place anymore. Needless to say i went back online to buy the Tenyo version.

I forget ,did Coin of Dracula also use 5 yen coins? Perhaps you can put the two coin penetration tricks together.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:29 pm

It is cool also because it is a Japanese coin in a Japanese trick. A good name to refer to in in an alternate patter could be Ninja Sword. All things Ninja, and Sword as well, have an added cool factor that boys would be interested in.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:57 am

Elliot W. wrote:Crystal Cleaver was one of my first items as well only I bought the cheapo copy of it first. It worked great for about 3 times before the lock broke and the gimmick would not stay in place anymore. Needless to say i went back online to buy the Tenyo version.
Same here!

CC is one of Tenyo's finest, perhaps even number 1 (together with Billscape for me). Only problem with it is that is so widely available people sometimes know how it works ... but not that often.
The idea with a coin is great. I believe the Coin Of Dracula Coin/sword can indeed be used. Would make a great routine!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:38 am

I did not try the Coin of Dracula sword but did try the Lancelot sword and it would not fit through the slot on the cover. I would guess that the same would be true for COD.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:41 am

Maybe I should have saved this idea for my upcoming book. ;)