Tenyo Money Cutter Japanmagic style...

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Steve S.

Tenyo Money Cutter Japanmagic style...

Post by Steve S. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 am

Many of us have always felt that Tenyo Money Cutter is one of their weaker effects for a variety of reasons. After watching Japanmagic's alternate version and performance, I changed my mind! Not only did he exponentially improve the effect but he fooled me badly.

Has anyone tried his version? Did you cut up the bill in doing so? Is the bill automatically safe if you wrap it
exactly like he does?

I am going to attempt to carefully try his method using a dollar bill. The worst that can happen is that I will end up with a cut up bill and need to tape it back together. Come to think of it, perhaps it would be a good idea to cut up some dollar bill sized sheets and use them for practice before attempting it with real bills.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

BluBob

Re: Tenyo Money Cutter Japanmagic style...

Post by BluBob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Steve, are you talking about this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUcFlb7Zdw
and now, on with the show ...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:14 pm

BluBob wrote:Steve, are you talking about this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUcFlb7Zdw
Indeed I am and thanks for posting it! Pretty darn good, huh?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Agree with you Steve, although it`s not the best Tenyo, it`s still a good one. Actually if the spec wants to try out, they will fail it they don`t get the exact position. I think that point is the clever part of Shugawara`s mind.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:18 am

This is a wonderfull performance indeed Steve - thanks for reminding me of it! I saw it in the past but forgot about it ... I don't know for sure how Japanmagic does it - as you mention it probably has to do with the alignment of the bills ... . Let us know if and how it can be done please :)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:43 am

I think that this is a great reminder that someone who personally believes in an effect, and is able to present the effect in a creative manner, will have something very special.

In photography it is said that a great Photographer is someone who can show a common object in an uncommon fashion.

I certainly believe that this is true and translates directly to Magic. (& other Art forms as well)
and now, on with the show ...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 pm

The creator of this variation is Yasuo Amano. Had I known about this while doing Tenyoism, I certainly would have included it.

Even though we should admit that the original trick is not successful, the Japanese version (explained in Tenyoism) allows you to remove the cap and let the spectator look into the tube and see the plastic blade penetrating the bill. This clever touch, which really "makes" the trick. is not possible with the bills of any other country.

As for Amano's version, surely you can see what the method is? A rolled-up bill is flexible and can be pressed downward in the center. This is one of the reasons the piece of white paper is used--to hide that. But the white paper is also good for the cutting, and also to hide the condition of the real bill when you roll it. You'll notice how long he has the real bill under the white paper after he takes it out of the tube.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:26 pm

The way I see it is that, in his version, only the white paper is cut but the bill remains unharmed.

In essence, an added feature to the original effect where, while one paper does get cut using the box cutter, the bill remains unharmed. A "double feature" so to speak! :)

So, I am not thinking that he uses the white paper not only to protect the bill but also to add a bonus to the original effect.

Anyone following me?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:41 am

I am Steve :D

But ... does this only work with the exact same size bill as the Yen he uses ... and what is the exact position to put it in the tube (where do the folds of the bill and paper have to be?)?

All looks so very clean in his presentation.

By the way Richard, a pretty long time ago he posted a video of his Halloween handling of Card Case (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIUtK7dtFA). I asked him how he did it but he couldn't say because it would be in Tenyoism (as he also wrote as a reply to one of the comments bellow his video on Youtube) ... but as far as I remember it isn't :? :?: ... ? Or am I missing it?

Oh and one other question Richard, perhaps you can convince him to join this forum? He writes English more then well enough. I asked him sometime but he never replied ... .

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:06 am

That Card Case presentation certainly is baffling! It seems to me that editing the video is the direct route to making that happen. Even if he used two you know what's, how would he control them if you know what I mean? I think he responded to a comment under the video that he used only one you know what "and so on".

Perhaps he doesn't want to join this forum because he expects to be asked many questions which he prefers not to answer. In essence, he presents his versions of Tenyo effects to entertain and in some cases, to fool not only layman but us as well. So, it is to his benefit to keep a low profile.

I look forward to seeing what he does with Tenyo effects as I am sure we all do. :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:14 am

Keeping a low profile Steve? He does have a very popular website/blog: http://jpmagic.blog34.fc2.com/ ... but I think you may be right. And that's unfortunate for us ... .

About Card Case, I don't think he edited the video, that would be quite lame ... .

Here's an idea which might work for his version: having the gimmick for the first transposition, having a piece of black paper or thin cardboard for the second one. I don't know how he releases that piece of paper/cardboard however, or how it is held in place after the first transposition. Perhaps he detatches it with the sword, which means it's a very tight fit?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 am

Sometimes l wish to be fooled like laymen, amazed by the miracle without knowing the secret. Honestly I miss already that magical moment as magician and tired of thinking. Sorry....not trying to be offensive gents....peace :) :)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:39 am

VictorS wrote:Sometimes l wish to be fooled like laymen, amazed by the miracle without knowing the secret. Honestly I miss already that magical moment as magician and tired of thinking. Not trying to be offensive gents....peace :) :)
Me too Victor! :) It's lots of fun to be fooled which is why we were attracted to magic in the first place I suppose.

I love when Japanmagic takes a Tenyo trick I know well and fools me with it such as his Card Case presentation.

When someone asks me how I did a trick, I respond that if I tell you, it won't be a trick anymore. I have been responding to spectators that way since I worked in a magic shop many years ago.

Some people watch magic to be fooled (entertained) while others watch in an attempt to figure out the secret. I suggest that the former has more fun than the latter.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:30 am

Amano does not deceptively edit his videos.

The Halloween trick with the Card Case was supposed to go into Tenyoism, but I just ran out of both space and energy. The method is very clever. :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The method is very clever. :)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:36 pm

There are options!

1) Do a supplementary volume for Tenyoism. I (and others I am sure) have some things we could offer in addition to this clever Card Case idea.
2) Offer the method to those who purchased Tenyoism.
3) Create a thread in the members only section of this forum where things like this could be offered to us fine folks. :D

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 pm

I just went back to the comments under the YouTube video and he states that he used no camera tricks.

I think I saw something after watching it several more times. I don't know what to make of it exactly but think I am on the right track to discovering the method at least to some degree.

Watch it very carefully and perhaps you will notice something. What I am thinking is the only logical solution I can think of at this point.

Just watched his Christmas and Valentine's Day Tenyo videos. What a treat! He really is remarkably creative and comes up with delightful stuff. :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 am

VictorS wrote:Sometimes l wish to be fooled like laymen, amazed by the miracle without knowing the secret. Honestly I miss already that magical moment as magician and tired of thinking. Sorry....not trying to be offensive gents....peace :) :)
You are absolutely right Victor. Magic is about miracles and presentation skills, and being fooled is what got me into collecting :) That's why I started buying the clever inventions Roberto showed on his Youtube channel, only later I figured out they were made by the same company, Tenyo. Being fooled is great, but buy the secret and fool others is even better, no? :D
Steve S. wrote:Some people watch magic to be fooled (entertained) while others watch in an attempt to figure out the secret. I suggest that the former has more fun than the latter.
Indeed Steve. When I perform for my students there are always the ones who just enjoy the tricks/stories and are like WOW! Freaky! Cool! and then they move on ... . But there are always a few who start yelling 'I know how you did that'. Part of them ask me quietely if I did 'this' or 'that' but there are always some rascalls who SHOUT how they think I did it ... and we're talking about 16 - 17 years old :roll: ... but because I don't tell them how it is done that last group walks away frustrated 8-)
Steve S. wrote:There are options!

1) Do a supplementary volume for Tenyoism. I (and others I am sure) have some things we could offer in addition to this clever Card Case idea.
2) Offer the method to those who purchased Tenyoism.
3) Create a thread in the members only section of this forum where things like this could be offered to us fine folks. :D
I think 1) is out of the question since Richard already said he will never make a new volume.
2) YES! since it supposed to go into Tenyoism and Amura was OK with that, I think there's nothing wrong with sharing this wonderfull routine with the buyers :)
3) is my favourite ... and I started a topic in the members only section to discuss this wonderfull performance - see here :D