Tenyo- General Plastic Repairs

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
John B.
Charter Member

Tenyo- General Plastic Repairs

Post by John B. » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:01 pm

All,

Apologies if this has been posted before. I just repaired a see thru guillotine yesterday that had some cracked plastic at the bottom. Instead of using glue, I used simple acetone (nail polish remover). I dipped a Q-tip into the acetone and ran it along both surfaces of the crack. It worked really well. I also applied it along the bottom (underneath) to ensure a strong seal.

There is some marring of the surface if you use acetone as a glue, so I would only apply to the actual crack or on a surface that people generally will not see. Much easier than using an epoxy or glue, and i think turned out neater with less mess.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Tenyo- General Plastic Repairs

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:28 pm

*dons teacher hat*
You can also use dichloromethane (trade name Tensol). It uses capillary action to fill the microscopic gap between two cracked surfaces, melts and welds them together then evaporates in a matter of seconds. Provided there isn't too much excess it can work perfectly, just don't try and wipe it off with your fingers else you'll have a fingerprint welded on your item.
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Good information for me as a avid hobbyist. Thanks!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:49 pm

When it works it's brilliant and quicker than superglue. At uni I had to make a clear Perspex house as a first year project, it's amazing to watch it work. I'm sure you can order it online, it could come in handy for your slots :)
Now you see me...

Shan

Post by Shan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm glad you brought this up! I scratched the back of my unusual suspect and the back see through plasti as a scratch across and in so heart broken because it's one of my favourite tenyo!
When can I do to smooth it out and make it invisible?
I appreciate all suggestions

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:09 pm

This is not a real answer to your question, but Tricksupply Com still has one available for 29,90 $.

But for repairing you should ask SimonC :)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Siusiuc wrote:I'm glad you brought this up! I scratched the back of my unusual suspect and the back see through plasti as a scratch across and in so heart broken because it's one of my favourite tenyo!
When can I do to smooth it out and make it invisible?
I appreciate all suggestions
Are you saying that there is a scratch (not a crack) on the back of the Unusual Suspect where it is clear with the jail bars printed over it in black.

If that is the case then there is nothing that you can do that will make it better.

My suggestion for removing scratches is to use plastic polishes (Novus is very good and comes in three formulas that you step through) but polishing out the scratch will also polish away the bars because they are printed on the top, not underneath.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:45 pm

I don't have mine to hand, but if the back panel can be removed, I can make you a replacement with clear acrylic and a black vinyl sticker, the only other option as John said is to polish the scratch out. If it works but takes off the bars I can send you a sticker for the bars.
Now you see me...

Shan

Post by Shan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks guys for the reply!
Ad thanks for the offer simon:)
I think I'll keep it like this and I'll buy another one just so I know I also have a new one;)
The scratch on the jail bar is obvious but when I put the cards inside not so much so I guess that's ok

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:44 pm

it won't affect the performance, I wouldn't worry too much.
if anyones handy with a craft knife and card, I made a mod kit for Unusual suspects which turns the unit into a 1920s police station and has some genuine 1920s mugshots to use. I thought I'd put them in the printables thread but I never did, I'll try and do that this evening...
si
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...