"Well...That didn't work"

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

"Well...That didn't work"

Post by Brett H » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Always with the curious mind; I have yet another question for the forum-ites.

And I know this is a pro-Tenyo forum, but like all products, there are some that just don't go as well as advertised.

With that said, what Tenyo have you acquired with high hopes that didn't meet your expectations?
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: "Well...That didn't work"

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Very interesting question Brett, the more because if I understand your question correct you are not asking about the 'worst' Tenyo trick (China Surprise for example), but the one we had high expectations for untill we had it in our hands ... .

The first one that pops to mind is Space Walking Coin(s). When I read the discription it sounded incredible. When I received it, opened my package and read the discription I immediately had a feeling like: 'I'm never going to perform this'. While this isn't a bad trick per se, it just isn't my cup of tea.
Possibly my expectations were so high because it was one of the first tricks I got and I didn't know that much about magic back then. If I would have known more I would have known the secret to the tray with the coins dissapearing and I probably would have thought otherwise or my expctations would have been way less, so I would have been happier with it.

Oh and this is not a 'pro-Tenyo' forum in the sense that we all like everything Tenyo ever produced :) There's just one kind of people who would have the whole forum coming down on them (or what is the epxression in English?) and those are the so called professional magicians who think of Tenyo like a toy they would actually be a shamed of using in a performance ;)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:55 pm

I was trying to get Money Splash to work for me recently to no avail. I spent a good amount of time and wound up with inconsistent results.

I was also playing with Confined Cubes. That one works much more consistently, but it needs a better presentation.

There are plenty more but those two come to mind.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:05 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Oh and this is not a 'pro-Tenyo' forum in the sense that we all like everything Tenyo ever produced :) There's just one kind of people who would have the whole forum coming down on them (or what is the epxression in English?) and those are the so called professional magicians who think of Tenyo like a toy they would actually be a shamed of using in a performance ;)
I agree, when someone makes that "toy" comment or even worse the "plastic toy" comment they are either fishing for an argument or they are ignorant when it comes to Tenyo. It is best to just ignore posts like that.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:53 am

Thirty years ago, videos of Tenyo tricks were rare. Most tricks were described only in catalogs and advertised in magic magazines. The tricks that I was disappointed with after I saw the actual products are Elevator Coins, Lucifer's Lock, and Knife of the Ninja.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:52 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Very interesting question Brett, the more because if I understand your question correct you are not asking about the 'worst' Tenyo trick (China Surprise for example), but the one we had high expectations for untill we had it in our hands ... .
China Surprise or the dumpling is a common food in my country and other Asian countries. All Chinese restaurants serve this and almost everybody here is familiar with it. The trick is a version of Silk to Egg and the effect is enhanced if skillful sleight of hand moves are added to the presentation.

For me China Surprise is not that bad at all because I get better reaction for this trick than Geometrick. Maybe its because people always wants to examine Geometrick and I cannot hand it out. They may be puzzled by the trick but they are not happy because they cannot examine the prop. As for China Surprise or Siomai, as we call it, the trick results to laughter because people recognizes it and they did not expect it.

The advantage of Silk to Egg over China Surprise is that everybody recognizes an egg while the advantage of the latter is that it is a seldom seen trick.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:00 am

Totally agree with you BobD, Siomai is one of my fav. food ;P

Greg C
Charter Member

Post by Greg C » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:07 pm

A person could use the Black Hole to produce the Geometrick effect. If one is ambitious, one could even put a hole in the middle of the prop and the gimmick.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:36 am

Johns the man to do that, he's a black hole wizard
Now you see me...