Vault Vision coins

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
SimonC
Global Moderator

Vault Vision coins

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Ahoy ahoy, I was playing with vault vision today as it's one of my tenyo I don't usually use despite the fact it packs small and seems quite performable. I remembered why, there isn't a decent combination of UK coins to get the gimmick to behave itself. I have the version with "money game" on the front. Does anyone know of a good combination of coins, ideally that won't be too hard to find. Either all from the same country unless there are optimum sizes then I could swing the trick that it can tell the country of origin.
Any suggestions would be great, I dont like to neglect my tenyo :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Re: Vault Vision coins

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:01 pm

I could just be thinking of the Magic Works line. But wouldn't a penny, nickel, and quarter work for both versions?

But that seems awful boring. Unless you use something like an old US steel penny

This could be fun figuring out what different coins could work

I figure it would be really easy to make a routine of how a relative or yourself travels a lot and picked up some coins from all around.

I thought of doing the trick with coins from the Axis Powers.
Which CAN sound like it could go wrong, considering the look of Reichmark coins.
Thereby placing a heavy emphasis on a Traveling/Collector Relative
Where's my colon?!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Unfortunately I can't find my Vault Vision at the moment, but I remember that it worked great with 3 different euro-coins, 5 cent, 20 cent and a 1 euro piece (it could be different nominations, I must arrange my Tenyos one of these days!), that's all I can say from my experience.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 pm

I believe the English version and Japanese versions are different. The English version used a nickel, penny and quarter while the Japanese version used 10, 50, and 100 yen coins. I think what other coins can be used would depend on what version you have.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Cheers guys, much appreciated. I'll have a play tomorrow, I might try with old English coins
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:05 am

There is a difference between the Japanese and English versions as far as function. I can't see any difference in markings to tell them apart other than the paint on the English version is much darker. For sure the Japanese version will not work with English Coins and vice versa.

The English version uses a cent, nickel and dime, the Japanese uses 10/50/100 yen coins.

I am not sure if it is the thickness of the coin or the diameter or both that sets up the tell.

When I first got the Japanese one, I did not have coins so I got out my bag of foreign coins and tested them. I got it to work with an English penny, 50 Euro and Singapore Dollar but that was for the Japanese version.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 am

Here is a picture of the English and Japanese versions.

The coins that work are below the prop and in order set the state of the tell to OUT/FLUSH/IN.

When I put the English coins in the Japanese prop nothing happened.

With putting the other coins in the English prop it also did not work and almost broke the prop.
vaultvision_comparison.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 am

Fantastic John, thanks for taking the pic. I'm not sure which version I have but what I do have is my coin collection from when I was wee, I'm sure I can work it out. I almost broke mine trying out coins too, i think I've got all the info I'll need now tho, not broken a tenyo yet touch wood. Now there's an interesting topic, has anyone broken a tenyo? I had a knock off EOTI that a cleaner at work threw out but I've not broken any yet
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:42 am

JohnM wrote: When I put the English coins in the Japanese prop nothing happened.
With putting the other coins in the English prop it also did not work and almost broke the prop.
Wow...what a precise engineering works....if there any knock off for VV....I think you can skip and forget it.
Thanks for sharing this John M. I should find the suitable coins for mine too ;)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 am

vsuperanto wrote:Wow...what a precise engineering works....if there any knock off for VV....I think you can skip and forget it.
Thanks for sharing this John M. I should find the suitable coins for mine too ;)
Milton Bradley Magic Works line of tricks had Vault Vision. It works the same as the Tenyo English version but says Vault Vision on the front rather than Money Game which is what the trick is called in Japan. The Milton Bradley Magic Works version is not a knockoff but a licensed Tenyo product.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:58 am

SimonC wrote:Now there's an interesting topic, has anyone broken a tenyo?
Yep....2 of my Tenyos Simon. The Wonder Window and The Alpha Tunnel. For Wonder Window, we got this discussion before, but for the Alpha Tunnel...Goddd.... I slide the black plate in the hole (setup mode on) and I slide out the plate out from the opposite side. You know what happened..... :o :o :o :o :o

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:02 am

Well now, I'm completely shocked that both versions are so finicky and sensitive.
Where's my colon?!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:20 am

brett H wrote:Well now, I'm completely shocked that both versions are so finicky and sensitive.
I think a better word is precise.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:41 am

JohnM wrote:
brett H wrote:Well now, I'm completely shocked that both versions are so finicky and sensitive.
I think a better word is precise.
I agree, I did put it a bit ugly.

But I thought about it this morning and it makes sense why MB had to remake it for use of US coins.

Tired me last night thought 'Yen and US money are shaped the SAME! This is absurdity!'
Where's my colon?!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:21 am

Tenyo made both a US and Japanese coin edition and then MBMW came along a sold the US version which I think is the same mechanically but the name is different on the prop.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:35 am

JohnM wrote:I am not sure if it is the thickness of the coin or the diameter or both that sets up the tell.
Now that I see all the coins laying in order, I can see that the progression is from small to large so maybe it is just the diameter of the coin (and not the thickness) that makes the magic happen.
I have not opened one of these up but it would be interesting to see how it works. I usually only open up a trick when I have a broken one or when I want to learn how to repair and item.

As far as I know this trick is flawless and works 100% of the time so opening one up is unlikely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:40 pm

I ended up opening my Eddy's version of this after I got the Tenyo one. It is indeed the diameter of the coins that makes it work.
vsuperanto wrote:Alpha Tunnel...Goddd.... I slide the black plate in the hole (setup mode on) and I slide out the plate out from the opposite side. You know what happened.....
I did the same thing to mine and the gimmick snapped right off. However I was able to glue it back on again and it seems to work fine now.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:19 am

Elliot W. wrote:
vsuperanto wrote:Alpha Tunnel...Goddd.... I slide the black plate in the hole (setup mode on) and I slide out the plate out from the opposite side. You know what happened.....
I did the same thing to mine and the gimmick snapped right off. However I was able to glue it back on again and it seems to work fine now.
I did the same thing Elliot. Thanks to the power glue and the black color of the plate ;) Although you still see the broken line, it is quite easy to conceal it ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:18 pm

Very informative thread once again.

I just tried all the EURO coins with my Vault Vision. I believe I have the USA version.

-2 EURO: too large (doesn't fit)
-1 EURO en 50 CENTS: fit perfectly, but too large (when trying to close the box you'll ruin the mechanism)
-20 CENTS: too large, the box closes but only about 80 - 90 %, if you push it in with force the mechanism will be ruined
-5 CENTS: works, but box closes only 98 - 99 % (however I tried with a USA nickel and it is the same)
-2 CENTS: more or less OK, but the 'secret' is not exactly where it should be, doable tho
-1 CENT: OK

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:31 am

Hi.just bought tenyo vault vision,came with 1 Cent 1 Dime 5 Cents works great,just need some english coins
pre decimal whatever any idea's thanks :D

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Full and Charter Members can see the insides of a Vault Vision in the Members only section.

http://funstuffonly.com/tenyoforum/view ... 054#p11054

Thanks Botond

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:09 am

I have the American version. Are you Guys just bored with using American currency? I find that being able to quickly borrow a penny, a nickel, and a dime to perform this effect adds to the mystery of the presentation. Also the "tells" become easier if "sidelight" is used. Sidelight is a light source which crosses the front of the Vault so that the shadow of the "tell" is more apparent. The Nickel, of course, is no problem. Also with this effect the "peek" is the most important part of the reveal. I do not try to peek right away. I speak about the three coins being so different. I.e. the penny is the only item which is Copper, the Dime is the smallest; but worth more. and the Nickel is the largest. Then I say something like the item in that "Vault" (pointing and peeking) is not as important as the item which you hold in your Right hand which is the x________.

I really like the Tenyo "Vault Vision" effect, and am interested in hearing other views.
and now, on with the show ...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:38 am

BluBob wrote:I have the American version. Are you Guys just bored with using American currency? I find that being able to quickly borrow a penny, a nickel, and a dime to perform this effect adds to the mystery of the presentation. Also the "tells" become easier if "sidelight" is used. Sidelight is a light source which crosses the front of the Vault so that the shadow of the "tell" is more apparent. The Nickel, of course, is no problem. Also with this effect the "peek" is the most important part of the reveal. I do not try to peek right away. I speak about the three coins being so different. I.e. the penny is the only item which is Copper, the Dime is the smallest; but worth more. and the Nickel is the largest. Then I say something like the item in that "Vault" (pointing and peeking) is not as important as the item which you hold in your Right hand which is the x________.

I really like the Tenyo "Vault Vision" effect, and am interested in hearing other views.
It's not that the penny, nickel, and dime are boring. It's to see if there was more versatility with coin selection to open up more routines and easier handling for those across the ponds.

Unfortunately, it seems that it's really persnickety with the coins
Where's my colon?!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:33 pm

What a cool word "persnickety" is. I am going to say it at least twice today. - :D
and now, on with the show ...