Silence

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Brett H

Silence

Post by Brett H » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Some tricks need patter to work. Others can work without saying a word.

What Tenyo do you think can perform successfully and not awkward without saying a word?

Off the top of my head, I think Burglar Ball & Parabox can be performed this way.

Any ideas?
Where's my colon?!

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Silence

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:57 pm

I went visiting today. I had Dynamic Coins in my pocket. I think that would be fine and not suffer without patter.

Burglar Ball is a good choice too. I don't agree about Parabox. I think most people miss that the two boxes are changing position without pointing it out.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:53 pm

I would say Ultra Tube is another. Sometimes when I have a guest over I'll just sit there and play with Ultra Tube.I keep putting the die in and pouring it out as the other color. Eventually my guest realizes that there is something wrong with this picture.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:36 am

JohnM wrote: I don't agree about Parabox. I think most people miss that the two boxes are changing position without pointing it out.
Yep good point JohnM.
Hi Brett, every time I perform Parabox, it is absolutely mandatory for me on the opening stage that the spectator understand that the outer box is bigger than the inner one if not I will continue to "fish" them until they realize. If you did not do this...the magical effect would be only the appearing sponge ball and the growing ball. People will forget the boxes.

I would like to perform "Tenyo stand up props" like newsworthy tear, ballerina hank,salt cups, silk serenade with music. For close up i`ll take the mini illusion like Bare Bones, side track, space tower and Trisector. For the most absolutely silent without words and music, perhaps i will take billiard balls, spoon bend. Outside tenyo, there is a good silent routine from Jon Allen called Silent Treatment. Absolutely recommended ;)
Last edited by VictorS on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:44 am

I would actually never perform a trick without patter/routine. But if I had to choose one it would be Balloon Illusion or another parlor/stage trick like Victor suggested.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:51 am

I just want to say that I completely took the box-changing effect for granted. I figured the box going from blue-to-red and vice-versa was visual enough that it didn't need to be stated. I appreciate the advice on how this needs to be brought up to the spectator--especially since my wife will be the first one seeing me do this and I don't want to look like a complete embarassment. :)
David DeTenyo wrote:I would actually never perform a trick without patter/routine. But if I had to choose one it would be Balloon Illusion or another parlor/stage trick like Victor suggested.
I agree, I'm all about creating patter for a routine. It's a lot more fun that way.
I had a thought today that in the hospital I will be volunteering for, there will be families that don't speak English. I can guarantee it.

So I'm trying to modify a 6-7 piece strolling set in which I can have a 3-trick set to where I don't have to speak because I can't speak a lick of Spanish. Japanese is a different story. But I'm going to learn a few lines of Spanish just to get out the 'Hello, my name is Mr. Hurley. I'm a volunteer magician. Would you like to see magic today?'
vsuperanto wrote: I would like to perform "Tenyo stand up props" like newsworthy tear, ballerina hank,salt cups, silk serenade with music. For close up i`ll take the mini illusion like Bare Bones, side track, space tower and Trisector. For the most absolutely silent without words and music, perhaps i will take billiard balls, spoon bend. Outside tenyo, there is a good silent routine from Jon Allen called Silent Treatment. Absolutely recommended ;)
Just watched Silent Treatment. That is a brilliant way of doing a trick. I will definitely take that concept and apply it
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:24 am

Watch Roberto's videos, they're all brilliant presentations and not a word is spoken. A little bit of communication with the hands, and very well thought out routines
Now you see me...

MerlinsMagicShopMike

Post by MerlinsMagicShopMike » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:27 pm

A lot of times this is exactly how I start a small act in a bar. I just walk in say my hellos to my buddies, order a beer and just sit there fiddling with a magical prop and pretty soon everyone is looking my way. Some of my Tenyo favorites that don't need words at all are Geometrick,Moons of Jupiter, 4Dimentional Trunk. But usually I like to start with everyday objects that are found in a bar and do tricks with cigarettes coins, napkins and the like. Then after a crowd gathers around I'll break out more elaborate props some Tenyo but mostly not because I find that tenyo tricks are better for a more intimate setting and most but not all are not suited for a public venue. But in the right setting I would think that a great number of Tenyos could be performed in silence, its all in the presentation.

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:01 pm

vsuperanto wrote:Outside tenyo, there is a good silent routine from Jon Allen called Silent Treatment.
I just watched the video of ''Silent Treatment'' and i must have this because honestly speaking i'm not that good in talking/speaking of English or even in writing also, thanks for sharing this Victor :D
MerlinsMagicShopMike wrote: But usually I like to start with everyday objects that are found in a bar and do tricks with cigarettes coins, napkins and the like
I like to know more about everyday objects tricks and what are those napkins tricks that could you recommend :?:

For the Tenyo ''Teller Style'' here are some that i think can work:
- Crashed Dice
- Shrinking Pen
- Magical Door
- Clear Surprised
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:26 pm

Jaime C. wrote: I just watched the video of ''Silent Treatment'' and i must have this because honestly speaking i'm not that good in talking/speaking of English or even in writing also, thanks for sharing this Victor :D
Most welcome Jamie, they release the new version using Ipad now ;)
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=53093