Wild Wallet question

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Joel1902

Wild Wallet question

Post by Joel1902 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:41 pm

I have the Vinyl WILD WALLET, but it's very hard to open each side when performing. I have to dig my fingernails between the edges each time to open it. That's a sure way to kill a great trick.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel K. in the USA

VictorS

Re: Wild Wallet question

Post by VictorS » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:31 am

Hi Joel, I`m not sure where your problem is and I do not have this one either but I have had the Tenyo Rabbit in Wallet. It was also made of vinyl I guess and sometimes I face also similar problem. I believe wild wallet work similar like the Rabbit in wallet or Himber Wallet but the cool thing is it has window. Vinyl could be heat sensitive comparing to leather, so maybe you should consider the storage and room temperature. I`m not sure if my following suggestion could work but maybe for you to consider. If you succeed to open it flat. lay it between 2 heavy books for 1 night and see the result. I hope we can get the flexibility of the hinge back so it will opened and closed easily. BUT...if you see that this will break/ damage everything, please IGNORE my suggestion ! Please ensure that your inner side of the wallet is always clean from any sticky stuff.

Maybe we should wait for another wallet expert to give suggestion for you Joel, anyone ?? :)

Victor

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:10 am

This is a known problem. Even my leather one has this from time to time, although it works a litle better.

I would not lay it opened flat as Victor said, it may damage the wallet. The Vinyl version is easy to break by the way.
After some heavy usage it will eventually not stick that much anymore.

The only thing you can do is try to remove sticky stuff with non agressive soap in water. Do NOT use aceton, alcohol, white spirit, ... or another apolar solvent because this will dissolve the vinyl (or leather for that matter) if my knowledge of chemistry doesn't let me down (which I hope it doesn't as a chemistry teacher ;) ). (Apolar) solvents dissolve other apolar components (apolar basically means it can not dissolve in water). Vinyl and leather are mostly apolar and therefore will dissolve in most organic solvents. That ends the chemistry lesson for today :geek: .

I remember me selling a Wild Wallet to John years ago and he told me there were some traces of glue or something else on the wallet, probably the person who owned it before me used glue and an organic solvent to remove the excess of glue.

Also, if the thin hinges/bands prevent the wallet from opening up you can always try to cut them a LITLE tinner, but this is something I have never done due to the possibility the bands will therefore break more easily.

Another possibility: place a large piece of paper between side 1, put something heavy on the wallet (closed!) and let it rest for a few days. Sticky stuff will adhere to the paper. Afterwards do the same with the other side.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 am

vsuperanto wrote: Maybe we should wait for another wallet expert to give suggestion for you Joel, anyone ?? :)

Victor
See Joel...we have 1 expert already, even a chemistry teacher :D So...please IGNORE stupid suggestion :D
Thanks a lot David for your great advice, I start to love chemistry from now on ;)

Ahhh...one thing which I believe could help : store all cards separately from the wallet to prevent it from sticky situation, because you never know what will happen.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:43 am

How about taking all the cards out and putting a wee bit of talc on a cotton bud (q-tip for the crazy talking yanks) just give a light dusting on the important parts (much as how one would use talc anyway)
Now you see me...

Joel1902

Post by Joel1902 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:06 am

Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

I was thinking the problem is that the wallet covers are too hard/stiff. Most Himber wallets, and this is much more than a Himber wallet, swing open easily (both vinyl and leather). Many are designed with overlaps at the edges to facilitate easy opening. One edge is slightly wider, creating what is known as a "lip." This allows the thumb to automatically rest on the right long edge so the right shorter edge opens easily and virtually automatically. (If unclear, I can add an image.)

My Wild Wallet has no lips because the right edges line up perfectly.

I now see what you mean by sticking. Let me ponder that, and, in the meantime, I would be grateful for additional ideas.

Thanks,

Joel K. in the USA

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:00 am

I just checked mine and it worked fine.

I would not play with it too much. Do to the design and that it is made of vinyl, it will only last so many uses and then a strip will break off.

The glue residue that David was talking about above was from someone trying to glue the strip back in place. That can work but on a limited use basis.

Unfortunately the leather Wild Wallet is one of the harder Tenyo to find and always goes for a lot of money.

My suggestion to you Joel is to leave it be and just accept that you have a little extra work to open it.

I have a sealed vinyl Wild Wallet that I am selling with Repro (by me) leather Wild Wallet cards (9) and Instruction Booklet (16 pages). If anyone is interested it is $100 plus shipping.