Which Tenyos should you preferably buy brand new?

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

Which Tenyos should you preferably buy brand new?

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:00 pm

From my experience there are some Tenyo's that are so delicate that when performed very often, something tends to break or will not work as good as on the beginning.
Maybe it is useful for us collectors to have a list of these.
I have some examples :
4D Trunk
Alpha Tunnel (only when performed improperly)
Hanky Pinky or Hanky Penetration
Lancelot
Telesphere (this a case apart, something Must even break a little to perform it)

Some others are just vulnerable like
Mirage

I don't have all Tenyos so perhaps there are other that are just fragile.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Re: Which Tenyos should you preferably buy brand new?

Post by Elliot W. » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Offhand I would say Sidetrack, Crossroads and Mira-metal are also pretty fragile.

Shan

Post by Shan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:39 pm

I never really gave it some thought.
I guess if some items are second hand it could be worn from over use.
Anyone had some bad experience not buying a certain item brand new?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:48 am

Heck I didn't even remember I wrote that two years ago :P - thanks for the reminder John, I was planning to write it all back here again but just saw your link in time :lol:
I should actually write it back on my website with some extra info.

And Shan, from my experience only one: Water Suspension - it was rusted inside :)

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:35 am

Very nice topic, thanks for all the ideas. I would only add some magnetic tricks (because if magnets are dropped they can loose their magnetic power).
Also every case where the prop contains a spring the spring could loose its flexibility.
But most of the cases not proper performance or storage causes the problem.

I do not know if Lucky Rabbit was listed or not: the gimmick is very fragile and the repair kit is many times missing from the used ones.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:58 am

This is a great link John, and how funny that David didn't know anymore about this thread. This is a good starting point for David for an article about this on his website.

But here we can discuss this too. I started to think about this when I purchased recently Hanky Panky, and I really wondered, after 100 performances this gimmick must break, or am I wrong? And I am not the spare person, more a collector and a once in a while performer.

Shan

Post by Shan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:20 pm

I'm like rob. I collect more and play with it once in while.
It would suck if it breaks and you need to get another one and the price is rocket high by that time:(

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:25 am

Here's what I'd buy brand new:

Mr. Rabbit - Sponge Bunnies. It's sponge bunnies. I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm not sure if I'd buy USED sponge-anything

Clear Surprise - the gimmick seems fragile enough that I'd prefer to just go new and be careful about doing it

Magic Pop-Up - it's a trick made out of paper. Not exactly my favorite medium, but I figure if it's been used enough, it'll show. And if you're all about presentation, I'd figure you'd want it looking crisp.
Where's my colon?!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:19 am

I'm lucky enough to have a Sidetrack. Of all the Tenyo tricks in my collection, this is by far the most fragile because the gimmick is made of cardboard. If you grasp the center section of the card that is pulled out by the far end, and try to push it back, it's very easy to bend this piece. That's the end of it. The instructions even tell you to allow the spectator to push the center piece back into place. That's a guaranteed disaster.

It's also real easy to make the mistake of closing the plastic case while the center of the card is still pulled out. And that's also the end of it.

Two pretty big negatives in my opinion. Not sure why it sells for such crazy prices when it can be damaged so easily.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:43 am

Brett H wrote:Here's what I'd buy brand new:

Mr. Rabbit - Sponge Bunnies. It's sponge bunnies. I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm not sure if I'd buy USED sponge-anything

Clear Surprise - the gimmick seems fragile enough that I'd prefer to just go new and be careful about doing it

Magic Pop-Up - it's a trick made out of paper. Not exactly my favorite medium, but I figure if it's been used enough, it'll show. And if you're all about presentation, I'd figure you'd want it looking crisp.
====================================================

I just love "Clear Surprise" -- Wear occurs to the card under the clip (scratching that card) as you move it aside to show the "surprise" (and clear envelope.) I can't help wondering if the cards could be made of plastic? (or plastic coated) While I am at it, I could cast a vote for a slightly larger "half moon."
and now, on with the show ...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:42 pm

I had a brand new in package Fadeaway Case that was broken when I opened it. I had to carefully take it apart to fix it. It still isn't perfect.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:52 am

John B. wrote:I had a brand new in package Fadeaway Case that was broken when I opened it. I had to carefully take it apart to fix it. It still isn't perfect.
Sorry to hear that John. Hopefully you are be able to fix it and get it works.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Had a Sidetrack that was broken, and it came out of a shrink-wrapped package. No luck fixing it. Kind of tricky.