Tips about collecting Tenyo

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
AlexBrazil

Tips about collecting Tenyo

Post by AlexBrazil » Fri May 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Dear friends, I suppose right now I am the newest Tenyo collector in the group, as I have bought my first Tenyo magic one month ago. As I said in my bio, I fell in love instantly.

I have been "studying" a lot about Tenyo. However, I would like to hear from you, experienced collectors: what are your best tips on how to grow a Tenyo collection.

Thanks a lot!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Tips about collecting Tenyo

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat May 16, 2015 3:17 am

Search, search, search ... . Call/visit local magic shops. Call or mail magic shops abroad, even if they don't list Tenyo on their website.
Also search carnaval shops, they often have a litle magic department.

Second hand lists on Ebay, Martinka, Ron Alessi, etc. Visit those often.

If you have the budget, buy everything you can that has been discontinued (or will be discontinued) for future trading (or selling) purposes.

Ask on this forum. Mail people directly. Write on Magicweek.co.uk in the 'wanted' section you're looking for Tenyo.

Set goals: what items are you REALLY interested in? This forum is a great place to start browsing and ask questions.

Be patient, having a big Tenyo collection takes YEARS.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat May 16, 2015 3:38 am

Sell a kidney ;)
Now you see me...

Shan

Post by Shan » Sat May 16, 2015 10:08 pm

Be patient... I have paid a lot more for certain items and could have got them for a way lower price...

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am

David, I spent several days reading a lot of posts in this forum (to learn and not to repeat what has already been asked!). I have seen that you are a very experienced collector, that is always willing to help. Thanks so much for the advices.

Actually, I may not buy Tenyo to sell... I don't think that is something I would have time to do. I just want to get the tricks for myself. My only intention is to present these magic for my friends and for my little daughter's friends.

Simon, yes! I have already sold one kidney. Now I have just one left to sell and buy more magic! I hope they develop an artificial kidney in the near future ;-D

Shan, your advice is precious. You are right!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun May 17, 2015 11:09 am

It's always good to keep a spare. I am the same as you, I only collect to learn about the tricks and perform for friends, I hope to show them to my son when he is a little older, stay be one a week. I'll show him then give him a few days to think about how it was done, good brain workout!
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun May 17, 2015 2:10 pm

i wrote in this Collecting section a thread called the Last Piece of the Puzzle. About half way down I talk about how I was able to create my large collection very quickly and relatively affordablely.

The key thing is now is as good a time as any time in the past 10 years to buy Tenyo. The prices are down (I know it doesn't seem so but trust me) and the supply has never been better.

Best of luck to you and your collecting.

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Mon May 18, 2015 10:39 am

The rare or long discontinued ones are costly especially when BNIP or Mint in package so look for the used ones and cheaper without package...( as for me )
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Mon May 18, 2015 10:49 am

Oh, BTW, what is the meaning of "Mint"? I see this in may listings, but I don't know what it means?

I just saw in David's site the BNIP means "brand new in package". (As a newbie, I am learning a lot in this forum!)

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Mon May 18, 2015 11:07 am

As i understood ''Mint'' means used items having excellent, like new quality (correct me if i'm wrong)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon May 18, 2015 12:24 pm

I'm afraid different people use these abbrevations a litle bit differently :)
So it's pretty hard to tell and you better always ask the seller when in doubt. BNIP means 'brand new in package' and usually (!) means the package has not been opened. The condition of the package is usually very good - excellent unless stated otherwise.
MINT has different meanings. Normally 'mint' means 'new', but still, ask the seller ... . You can have a 'mint' trick in opened package for example. Or 'as mint' which means 'as new' but usually means the trick has been opened, looked at and perhaps even performed a few times ... .

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon May 18, 2015 12:26 pm

It completely depends on how you're intending to construct your Tenyo collection. Keep it in a box or perform?

If you're intending on performing purposes, that gets trickier. For me its taken quite a bit to hone down what Tenyo I've wanted to get for my style of performing (basically, the magic happens in their hands/they mostly handle the props). Plus, you have to worry about the higher cost if you want a NEW one, and you have to worry about if a USED one is going to break on you. Honestly, I'd ONLY get a used one from the users on this site. Plus, some tricks have become virtually unusable over time (SideTrack), so a bit of research is required on your end to find if a trick you want to use HAS become unusable or just pain unorthodox or just TOO SMALL for performing for more than just one person or a few people.

I remember in your 'new user' post that you perform a bit for your daughter and her friends for small shows. Are you intending to keep the Tenyo in the box or use them for performing? I might be able to help on the performing side, as I have a daughter who LOVES Tenyo and I intend to perform Tenyo tricks in a children's hospital.
Where's my colon?!

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Mon May 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Brett, I intend to use every magic I get to buy. So, I don't mind getting used tricks. But because I have seen so many eBay posts saying "mint", I got really curious about its meaning. Well, based on David's answer, I understand that it meanings is a little "elastic"!

(Because my daughter is only 4, I don't intend to let her friends handle the props!)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon May 18, 2015 12:38 pm

My best suggestion for Tenyo you intend to utilize is to go on Youtube and look up as many of the performances as possible, and write down the ones that 'resonate' with you.

I know that sounds funny, but you'll come across a few that you'll say 'THAT ONE! THAT'S one I must have for my inventory!'

It'll cut down on Tenyo that will take up unnecessary space on your end and leave only the ones that you're guaranteed to use.

And have fun looking up Tenyo commercials. I'd suggest you look up Magical Sneakers. John recommended that one to me A WHILE back and it's seriously one of the best Tenyo I have in my inventory
Where's my colon?!

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Mon May 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Being a father of a small child, Brett, you understand exactly what I am looking for!

Oh, I had never seen any video on Magical Sneakers. I will look for it right now :-)

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Mon May 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Just one addition: as I experienced Magicweek.co.uk is full of scam artists. Never pay via bank transfer or wester union. Use paypal all the time. And ask for photos of the actual item.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Sun May 24, 2015 4:12 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun May 24, 2015 4:18 am

Totally agree with you Jamie !!!!!! ;)

zhixiang

Post by zhixiang » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:47 am

This is a good site for collector on Tenyo pricing http://www.tenyomarket.com/
:D :D :D
Can an illusion change emotion?

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:55 pm

zhixiang wrote:This is a good site for collector on Tenyo pricing http://www.tenyomarket.com/
:D :D :D
Funny you mention that. The creator is on this site and just recently came back. It's an incredible tool to see how much to expect to pay for individual Tenyo. There's not a whole lot of Tenyo that it doesn't have a price for. only the redemption tricks come to mind
Where's my colon?!

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:25 am

Dear friends, here is a sneak peek of my "beautiful" Tenyo collection!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Oh no! You are reaching a high level of "Tenyioitis"! :)
Wow, great all these packages, did you get them all at once???

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:26 pm

I know, Rob! I need a therapist...urgently!

Oh, no, I did not get them all at once. The boxes have come from different parts of the world during the last months. As I do not have a space to store and display them yet, they are all stacked in my office.

Let me confess something: it is such a joy to get these packages...it feels like I am getting presents (but I am paying for them!).

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:05 pm

AlexBrazil wrote:Dear friends, here is a sneak peek of my "beautiful" Tenyo collection!
That looks very familiar and brings back memories.

What stage of Tenyoitis do you think you are at?
STAGES OF TENYOITIS
STAGE 1 – You know of Tenyo and have a few.
STAGE 2 – You found one of the Tenyo collectors websites and you want to get all the good ones, preferably loose because they are cheaper.
STAGE 3 – You now wouldn't mind getting some of the other ones and now you are thinking maybe they should include packages
STAGE 4 – You are now looking for all Tenyo to complete the T-List and you want to have them all sealed as well as opened ones to play with.
STAGE 5 – You have found most of the items and need the last 8 or 10 which are really hard to get.
STAGE 6 – You are beyond collecting and start hoarding them. You have over 1000 Tenyo.

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:36 pm

I am a borderline (like they say in Psychiatry) between stages 2 and 3. Do I a cure, Dr. John, or this will get worse?