Question on Tenyo Diminishing Returns by Mike Powers

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
VictorS

Question on Tenyo Diminishing Returns by Mike Powers

Post by VictorS » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:31 pm

Hello guys,

Mike Power's Diminishing Returns is one of the famous gaff deck which deliver strong and visual effect and this is one of unique and best selling gaff deck. No wonder Tenyo take this gaff and included it as one of their product.

I am not sure how many of you have already owned this trick (Tenyo version) because this trick is not part of the T series and only sold in Japan but I think it's still easily available. I am lucky to own the earlier release of this prop which produced on Hoyle playing cards and also the newer version on Bicycle playing cards. Both version are great and look more natural as day to day object. When you interested to see more detail, I can make a review on both decks.

So my question will be:
How is the Tenyo version looks like ? Is the quality of the playing card similar to other gimmick deck like tenyo animation card? Or its also printed on cards similar to Bicycle playing card? Are they ribbon spreaded easily on the surface like table or close up mat? And at the end, do you recommend this prop and take it into your collection?

Thanks for your feedback in advance and wish us all a great weekend.

Cheers,
Vic

VictorS

Re: Question on Tenyo Diminishing Returns by Mike Powers

Post by VictorS » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi everyone. I got this question about 2 years ago and I just figured out the answer :) I made a short review of the existing versions of Mike Powes Diminishing Returns including Tenyo version. Hope you enjoy it.

As far of my observation, there were 3 versions available. The 1st one I got was the Hoyle version produced in 90s. After this version came out the Bicycle and Tenyo. The Hoyle and Bicycle version are great in my opinion comparing to Tenyo's. The cards are easily ribbon spread but not Tenyo because I believe due to the different material and finish of the cards. Probably by applying fanning power on the deck will help.

The Hoyle version came with extra cards to perform the amBIGuous card which was an added value for this set.

The Bicycle version is even better that beside the standard gaff deck, there were also additional gaffs delivered to performed Defective deck. A great added value to the set. In other sides, all routine explanation videos and PDFs can be downloaded online including the amBIGous card routine.

Looking at what I got and read out from the instruction, Tenyo version did not really add something into the set and only the gaff deck to perform standard Diminishing Returns routine. I was quite surprise to have 2 ace of spades in the deck instead of 2 jokers. Not sure why.

In my opinion, the Bicycle version is still the best one to get. Sorry Tenyo for this time, but I still love it to add into my non T series collection.

The best performance of the Diminishing Returns was done by Lance Burton. He nailed everything! He made perfect combination with other card routine, changes the sequences of the Diminishing Returns standard routine and elevated everything into the higher lever. A very clever, professional and commercial routine. Here is the link to his performance on Youtube: https://youtu.be/U126ElUvyz0

Diminishing Returns was a perfect result of the Brother John Hamman's Micro Macro and this is one of the best gaff deck ever invented, in my opinion.

Sorry for any wrong information I posted here because everything was done only with my own observation.

Have a nice weekend everyone !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:32 pm

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:34 pm

More pics.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for posting this comparison Victor! I agree that the Bicycle version is indeed the best of them because of the quality of the card stock, familiarity of the back design, extra included cards, and top notch instructions.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!