New 2017 Tenyo Line Coming Out on Thursday Sept.22

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
KirkW

Re: New 2017 Tenyo Line Coming Out on Thursday Sept.22

Post by KirkW » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Every year for the past several years I've hoped to see Tenyo release at least one micro illusion (like the Tenyo of old) and every year I am disappointed. I am no more interested in the 2017 line up as I was in the 2016 effects. :-(
I may purchase the puzzle effect. Not because I think it is magical but only because it's a cool little puzzle.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:44 am

Ok Kirk, that's a good point of view, not collecting for collecting but only pick those that you really like... But not many are as strong as you to limit themselves to only 1 item to prevent that the other items are collecting dust in the shelf... I like the puzzle too by the way :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:30 am

I am curious, and maybe Mr. Kaufman may have information on this:

I remember last year that Tenyo said something along the lines of 'Magical Plunger' was going to be their best seller and that 'Ghost Camera' would do well overseas.

What is the expected best sellers for the 2017 line for Japan and 'everywhere outside Japan'?
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:52 am

Actually, I use last years 'flat' tricks more often than the good old gimmicky apparatus ... . I wouldn't think of performing Ninja Experiment, Space Towers and so on for my students for example.

So I'm not intirely unhappy with the 'new' kind of items Tenyo releases. They are all smart and have the same impact on laymen as the old tricks did, perhaps even a bigger impact because all (or most) look a lot more 'organic'.

But yeah ... if I could choose, I'd prefer the old gimmicky apparatus too, but that's just because I like to HAVE that stuff, not really for performing it.

By the way, has anyone been in contact with Hitomi the last couple of months? I've sent her a few e-mails inquiring about the new releases but never got an answer :cry:

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:37 am

yet again not impressed with this years line up, tenyo seem to want to put out tricks made of card and paper,rather than classic tricks like space towers,mirage, crystal cleaver etc, i for one wont bother this year! .

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:11 am

The reason has been mentioned Gaz: Tenyo offers these tricks to children and Japanese laymen who want to spend only a few bucks on an item. Making tricks as they used to would be too expensive for their main customers.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:30 am

i"ll stick to my classics, like mirage,ultra tube, etc id rather play with these rather than the tosh they seem t be putting out latelt tbh.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:22 pm

gazpratley wrote:i"ll stick to my classics, like mirage,ultra tube ... .
Yes, but don't break them! ;) Pretty hard to find replacements :)

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:27 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:The reason has been mentioned Gaz: Tenyo offers these tricks to children and Japanese laymen who want to spend only a few bucks on an item. Making tricks as they used to would be too expensive for their main customers.
One would think Tenyo could cater to both the layman and the hard core collector of the mini illusions of old. Even if they released one great mini illusion a year, I think we would all gladly pay the higher price.
Though I do collect these pieces, I also enjoy performing the ones that work consistently.
As for the one that only work 50/50, well, I love the cleaver thinking.
I can't help but wander if another company, like Tricks Co., were to come along and compete with Tenyo, would they once again return to their roots.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Tricks Co. has been out of business for years.
Even if they released one great mini illusion a year, I think we would all gladly pay the higher price.
You would, and I would. But their main customer base would not ... .

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:05 pm

Collectors are probably a very small percentage of there customer base. Frankly I am just happy they are still exporting the tricks and taking the trouble to write English instructions.
Although, I personally do happen to like this years tricks so far especially since I am not sure exactly how most of them work which hasn't been the case in some of the other recent years.

Just curious but what would you say was the last "good year" in which Tenyo made the type of tricks you are looking for?

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Elliot W. wrote:Collectors are probably a very small percentage of there customer base. Frankly I am just happy they are still exporting the tricks and taking the trouble to write English instructions.
Although, I personally do happen to like this years tricks so far especially since I am not sure exactly how most of them work which hasn't been the case in some of the other recent years.

Just curious but what would you say was the last "good year" in which Tenyo made the type of tricks you are looking for?
2002 was the last year that I purchased all the tricks. Prison Box and Mystery China Box are the type of tricks I really love. I am not one who has to or wants to have every Tenyo item. I only collect the ones that interest me.
Don't get me wrong...I am not saying that everything beyond 2002 hasn't been any good. There are many since 2002 that are great. Confined Cubes, Mobile Illusion, Mystery Triangle, President's Cabinet, Mystic Blackboard, 4-D Surprise...just to name a few. I am just disappointed that we are seeing less and less of these type of tricks.

I response to David's post, I knew that the Tricks Co., had been out of business for quite some time.
I was simply wandering, if a company like the Tricks Co., were to come along today and stir up a little competition, perhaps we would see more of these mini illusions come back.

I know I am just dreaming. I need to leave the past in the past and move forward. ;)
Or, perhaps start building my own and follow in the footsteps of Simon. I too love to create and have built a few prototypes of my own ideas. Unfortunately, I lack the design skills that would allow me to use 3D printing and laser cutting to build professional looking pieces like what Simon has done. I hope to learn these skills in the near future so that I can start sharing my creations. For now, they are just sketches in a book. :(

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:51 pm

Yes, you're dreaming. Sorry! But your dreams have little to do with the reality of a large company in business.

Tenyo's creations have evolved as the tastes of their customers have evolved. Magic is a tiny percentage of the Tenyo Company's business, and the number of magicians buying their tricks probably comprise about 3% of their total sales of magic tricks. Not even close to 50/50. So you are a tiny percentage of a tiny percentage.

Their goal is to put out new and creative tricks each year that will appeal to 97 percent of their customers: laymen in Japan. Many of these "laymen" have been buying Tenyo tricks for many years, which makes them amateur magicians in a way. But it is the taste of these customers that Tenyo must appeal to. Not yours, nor mine.

Have you thought about how laymen are involved in this equation? They like the new direction Tenyo has taken just fine, at least as evidenced by the tricks I've performed for them.

Dreaming about "woulda, shoulda, coulda," only makes you dissatisfied with the clever tricks they're putting on the market now. If you can get yourself out of that psychological rut, you might find that you can appreciate the type of tricks they are now selling. Or not. It's your choice.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:59 am

I think some of the ingenuity in the ideas can still be as complex in one of their 'flat' tricks as in previous, more mechanical offerings. For example, sitting down and figuring out the workings of say, magic maze, would require as much time and creative thought as planning those of say tunnel of darkness. Sit an iPad and a mac next to each other, they both have a lot going on under the hood, but at first glance one looks like a cool machine and the other looks like a table-mat.
I'll speak from my experience with whispering tiles. The original concept of the shifting suit design I came up with years ago, but it took all that time of leaving it, coming back to it, screwing up, starting again and a metric ton of prototypes to get the graphics just right so that they worked, had flow and could actually be a routine rather than a curiosity. Its totally easy and understandable to be a bit disappointed with the lack of micro illusions, we all love them and it's what got us into Tenyo, but there's still a lot of that Tenyo magic knocking about in the 'flat' effects. I still can't figure out magic maze and I know when I
Eventually get one and find out the secret I'll be amazed at how clever it is :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:03 am

(And Kirk, firstly thanks :) second, you can get table top laser cutters (I'm saving up for one) and the AD packages just take a bit of time and practice to master but it's worth it :)
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:11 am

Simons "Whispering Tiles" is as good/clever/amazing as most anything out there!

It is the sideways/outofthebox thinking of the Tenyo creators which helps motivate, and inspire creative growth in my own Music improvisation.
and now, on with the show ...

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:49 am

I believe I didn't do a very good job at communicating in my original post on Sept. 29th.

As a collector, I love the cleaver design and thinking behind the micro illusions created by Tenyo, Magiro, Magic Wagon, etc. Tenyo magic is what got me into these small illusions in the first place.
My only disappointment is we are seeing less and less of these type of effects ("My" personal "collecting" preference).

My disappointment ends there. Though I don't purchase every Tenyo effect released, I still marvel at their creative genius and I'm thankful that they continue to come up with new ideas (or a new twist on old ideas) and release new magic every year. I, like so many on this forum, look forward to this time of year to see the new Tenyo lineup. I will be purchasing the puzzle effect and the more I look at the maze effect more interested I become.

I do realize, as Richard pointed out, that Tenyo is a business and to turn a profit, they must cater to their biggest audience.

Also, I do not discard a Tenyo effect simply because it is flat or made of cardboard as opposed to plastic.
Clear Surprise and Magic Memo Pad, for example, I find to be very magical. I don’t currently own these effects but they will most likely become part of my collection in the near future.

In closing, I am by no means disappointed in Tenyo. I have been and will remain a lifelong fan and customer of their magical creations. And yes, I will continue to hope each year that a micro illusion will pop up every now and then. :D

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Hitomi just put up the four effects in the new "Super Mentalism" line:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-Super-Men ... SwpLNX8H1k

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:03 pm

I'm a bit in the same boat as Kirk: not getting every Tenyo in true collector fashion, but getting ones that pique interest.

I think my biggest complaint about this years four T-numbered is that (based on the first batch of new product videos) is that, I think, three of the four tricks for this year have a VERY long drawn out presentation. The one that is the exception is 'Legendary Puzzle'.

'Magic Maze' has the best finale of the four. And I'm sure the presentation can be gussied up to keep things moving steadily.
On the other side of the coin, I feel that 'Legendary Puzzle' has the weakest finale, but has the best pacing. I can't but to guess how the puzzle is done, and I think the audience would try and do the same.
The irony of a puzzle trick being treated as a puzzle.

The devices for Psycho Gravity and the 'water dish', to me, bring more attention to themselves than I'd be comfortable with.

Where it stands, I'm getting the 'Legendary Puzzle', but I'm not going to be in a big rush to get it.
Where's my colon?!

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:05 am

Hitomi was also selling the brand new Tenyo line, {bidding only} not sure how much the tricks went for in the end though.

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:30 am

gazpratley wrote:Hitomi was also selling the brand new Tenyo line, {bidding only} not sure how much the tricks went for in the end though.

I think $82 plus $22 shipping

I think the value of these is $62

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:28 pm

Hitomi does this every year puts the new years complete set up for bid only. Usually long before you can get them in the USA because she knows she can get plenty for them from hard core collectors that wants them before anyone else so they can brag I got mine....and it works. Can't blame her for that she is a smart business woman out to make a buck. ;)
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:46 pm

The presentations you're seeing on videos are not done by Tenyo. The tricks are not long and drawn out--not sure why these unofficial videos make them appear that way.

I've seen the official videos (not released yet) and the presentations of all eight tricks are pretty snappy, though the mentalism tricks take longer to do (that's the way mentalism is).

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The presentations you're seeing on videos are not done by Tenyo. The tricks are not long and drawn out--not sure why these unofficial videos make them appear that way.
I know, the videos were done by SEO. And they usually do a pretty good job.

In regards to 'Magic Maze' and 'Psycho Gravity', it just seemed like the setup for both tricks took an awful long time to get up and running. While, all of it appears necessary, I might be perceiving both videos as 'very lengthy'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for a new batch of Tenyo. I'm just trying to figure out which ones I could beat utilize.

On that note: the 'board' that you clip everything into in 'Magic Maze', is it thick glossy paper stock?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:20 am

It looks like it, but the cards themselves look nice and thick, almost plastic?
Now you see me...