New 2017 Tenyo Line Coming Out on Thursday Sept.22

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Richard Kaufman

Re: New 2017 Tenyo Line Coming Out on Thursday Sept.22

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:01 pm

More news, as if 15 new items wasn't enough.

A little birdie told me that there will be two more items coming by the end of the year or early next. They are licensed and use well-known characters.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:40 pm

That cardboard box included with the Perpetual Puzzle could stand replacing. I really like what Simon came up with and as David suggested, it would be best if it was just like the one included in order for it to be an actual replacement/improvement. In essence, it should serve the same purpose so needs the same design.

I want one! Please place my name on the buyer's list. :D
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:22 pm

I need to make a correction to my article on the new Tenyo items which appears in the November issue of Genii.

The additions to Harry Lorayne's "Instant Magic Square", called "Miracle Magic Square" by Tenyo, were not added by Kenichi Komiya. The improvements were made by So Sato (the number sheet) and Toru Suzuki (the barcode on the pen).

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:16 pm

That barcode is one of my favourite tenyo gimmicks ever. I k ow it's jut a sticker but it's such a brilliant idea!
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:00 pm

I completed the second version of my vintage maze board.
I'm happy to make a set for forum members, I'll post here when I'm ready to make! (Just let me know which design you'd like)
I have also made a wooden case for the impossible puzzle which includes a mini box for the spare pieces. I'll also be happy to make these for forum members.
I'm working out a price over the weekend once I've worked out how's I'm going to make the maze cards :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:44 pm

They both look great Simon!

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:31 pm

I agree! I may possibly prefer the Crazy Maze version, but both look great (as does the box). You can count me in when you start to produce them.

I am excitedly awaiting a package (due tomorrow!) containing the first 8 items of the 2017 series. This will be a great weekend! I have John Lovick in town for a lecture on Saturday, and then I'll have all day Sunday to play with my new Tenyo.

Whoop whoop!!

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:31 pm

Awesome work Simon! Both look incredible!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:40 pm

I vote for the Crazy Maze version as well. I also really like the puzzle box set.

Both items will serve as excellent improvements for two of the new line for 2017.

Way to go Simon!
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:57 am

The Craze (see what I did there? :lol: ) Maze looks very carnivalesque - something from decades ago. It BREATHS nostalgia and makes it easy to have a great story that goes along with it. It reminds me of the old Steeplechase game:

Perhaps there are tiny horses that can be used? The routine would become:
- CHOOSE 4 colors of horses, the last color is for the magician;
- CHOOSE the starting points;
- and on top of that CHOOSE the destination point (with a tiny 'finish' flag perhaps?)

Also, and please don't see this as a complaint because your version looks and IS superb as it is Simon, but would it perhaps be possible to 'cut' the board into 4 or 5 sections? Like large puzzle pieces? That way it becomes easy to carry in your pocket :) That would perhaps make it harder to make and therefore more expensive of course. Or perhaps this is something we ourselves can do with an exacto knife?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:05 am

I like the steeple chase idea, I saw a very similar game in my googling for inspiration. I played with a few different race ideas (one with a bunch of pirates chasing after a treasure, one with the cars from lucky lot) The reason I left the horse race idea was that a) it didn't sit right that there were 5 different finishing points in a race. And b) the movement should be reciprocal in a horse race, when I looked at a Cards the erratic nature of the maze didn't sit with the horse race theme.
I couldn't get the patter to make sense as it were, but I like the idea of the race format In general. I settled on a concept that was simple enough to explain and had a believable vintage look and feel.
With regards to cutting the board up, I can do it on my beloved laser, however it would need to be on a thinner stock I think. If you wanted one let me know and I can make the appropriate changes. The two in the picture are mounted on a 6mm board so they are nice and solid to give a flat base for the cards (much less fumbling!) it also allows for the pegs to sit securely. I could cut the 6mm in straight cuts or make a 3mm orne that interlocks more like a puzzle.
Hope that all makes sense, I'm typing with one hand whilst feeding Brinley so I'm not checking my spelling!
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:17 am

Feeding the little rascall and typing? KUDOS Simon, that doesn't work for me :) Benjamin is siting next to me in his relax while I type this, playing (or better: 'hitting' ;) ) the little turn thingy-wingies in front of him :lol:

Anyway, I completely understand why you left the steeplechase idea, it doesn't make a lot of sense perhaps afterall.
Yes, I would certainly be interested in the 'orne' thing that interlocks - that way the pieces would always be straight when laying them in front of me/the spectator.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:01 am

n 'orne' is a misspelling! It should have read 'one'.
I'm just awaiting delivery of some metal pegs to use, but I can accept reservations for both the vintage maze and the puzzle cases (the large and mini come together)
Mazes will be £60 gbp
Boxes will be £35 gbp

No payments yet please! I'll let you know when I'm good to start making!
Now you see me...

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:11 am

Put me down for a Crazy Maze and a box.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:10 pm

Yes, as Simon rightly notes, horses cannot race through a maze.

But here's an idea: theme it to the maze outside the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. The spectator chooses the end point, the only one that doesn't result in death.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:39 pm

And the then they die four times, whilst the magician get away. dark but I love it!
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:29 pm

I thinkTenyo Disney could make Alice in Wonderland Magic Maze theme ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Bravo! That's a great idea too!!
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:30 pm

There are Alice in Wonderland mazes in both Disneyland Paris and Shanghai Disneyland, but none in Tokyo Disneyland, making it less likely.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:44 am

SimonC wrote:n 'orne' is a misspelling! It should have read 'one'.
I'm just awaiting delivery of some metal pegs to use, but I can accept reservations for both the vintage maze and the puzzle cases (the large and mini come together)
Mazes will be £60 gbp
Boxes will be £35 gbp

No payments yet please! I'll let you know when I'm good to start making!
===========================================================================
Please put me in for a Crazy Maze, and a Box ... so cool!
and now, on with the show ...

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 pm

I attended the Live Magic Expo here in Nashville TN today and guess what was on sale at the sign in table?.....The 2017 Tenyo line! So, I purchased the Perpetual Puzzle and the Magic Maze.
The Expo was demonstrating all brand new magic. All of the the demonstrators were great but most of the effects by Paul Richards and Mark Mason fooled my pants off. I purchased effects from both these magicians. They were of course, explaining the methods behind their effect but had they not, I would say this was the best 6 hours of close-up magic I've seen in while!
If the Live Magic Expo ever comes to your city, GO!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:46 pm

Quick update, I have begun making 6 Crazy Maze sets. I'll post some pics of the cards tomorrow, they've come out well and the m***s are nice and sneaky. I'm awaiting delivery of the metal pegs, but the manufacture won't take too long.
As it stands 5 are already accounted for so if anyone wants to grab the last one let me know!

I've also cut the components for three puzzle case sets, I need to order some more wood so if anyone else is interested please let me know and I will get the right amount.
Could I ask you to PM me if you haven't already just to confirm which items you'd like so I don't miss anyone out.
Pics to come tomorrow :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Here are some pics from the workshop...
I've made all of the boards, hand-distressed them, sealed them and drilled the holes ready for the legs. I've also distressed around the holes a little more to make them look like they've been used many times before.
The cards are printed and I've started cropping some of them. They have also been hand distressed and sealed to make them more durable.
Please confirm by PM if you want one :)
(ps as a technology teacher I must stress, it's not advisable to take a photo of yourself whilst using a pillar drill, safety first!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 pm

:)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 pm

OK today finally magicshop.nl has all 8 Tenyos for sale :) As a Dutch citizen I like to support Dutch magic shops, and magicshop.nl is the official Dutch Tenyo dealer.

I have however become more picky, and only ordered the ones I really like.

Namely: the 4 mentalism tricks, and the Perpetual Puzzle.

I skip the other 3 'normal' Tenyos for several reasons.
NOT Magic Maze ... too 'commercial' .
NOT Psycho gravity ... Too insecure. I never really liked Koornwinder Card BTW so...
NOT Water Crystal because I dislike tricks with water AND I already have other similar effects, a watch with a turning disc that reveals the card, and a turning item where the chosen card appears by manually turning the disc.