Funny Dog

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Richard Kaufman

Funny Dog

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Things like this don't happen often: I just bought a pristine (like the day it was made) "Funny Dog." The sponge dogs are intact and bright, and still in their original bag.

It cost me $5.

VictorS

Re: Funny Dog

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Congratulations Richard ! :)
I got Funny Dog for about $10,- with original box but knock off sponge rabbits that we can forget and throw away. I plan to replace it with the Japanese version funny dogs which is still easily available in Japan (the one which come together with Dice Vision and An-Gra). Are they the same dogs ? How about the dogs came with the Mystery Doghouse, are they also the same ?

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:29 pm

The sponge dogs have changed in size since the early magic sets and Funny Dog. The newer ones are slightly smaller.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Great... thanks for the info Richard !

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:42 am

FIVE DOLLARS? Now that's funny!
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:04 am

Kudos, love it when that happens, it's like the universe just gave you a little high five :)
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Considering how much I've overpaid for a few things that needed to go into Tenyoism, it's nice to find something cheap once in a while!

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Five dollars, well, congrat!
Richard Kaufman wrote:Considering how much I've overpaid for a few things that needed to go into Tenyoism, it's nice to find something cheap once in a while!
No help from tenyo to obtain tricks ? :shock:

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:27 pm

HerveM wrote:Five dollars, well, congrat!
Richard Kaufman wrote:Considering how much I've overpaid for a few things that needed to go into Tenyoism, it's nice to find something cheap once in a while!
No help from tenyo to obtain tricks ? :shock:
Now THAT is a question I have been asking myself for quite some time too ... . Thanks for reminding me Hervé ;)

Richard, you wrote a book about the company so that (probably) means more publicity/acquaintance for a lot of people with Tenyo. Sure, mainly people who already knew Tenyo bought the books, but still, I know at least one person who is into 'magic books', rather than buying every magic trick that 'seems' cool and /or easy to do/mechanical/ ... as a lot of us do :? :D ), and for sure he started collecting Tenyo! :)

I am also aware even Tenyo itself doesn't have all the items they released, heck, they don't even know what items they released (I'm talking from the early years of course) :)

But still ... .

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:01 pm

Not really sure what the question is.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Did Tenyo give or sell (or lend) you any tricks that were hard to find for your book ... .

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:14 pm

well done on your recent purchase of funny dog richard! i recently snagged a rare mint sealed japanese packaged Mirage for a good price! love that trick.!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 pm

Yes, Hiroshi Kondo dug around in the warehouse and did give me about a dozen items. I was very grateful for that. I later gifted him a specially made set of his trick "Bar Monte" crafted in ebony. In Japan, the tradition of giving a gift when meeting with someone is very strong.

They also had some parlor magic items, and some older items, that I didn't have and I photographed those on a piece of white foamcore board in Akira Yamada's office. Because of the way my wife Photoshopped everything, it's hard to tell which photos weren't taken in my home. Some items I photographed at another collector's home.

But I bought most things. Coincidentally, I also recently bought a mint Japanese edition of "Mirage" along with "Billscape" and about half a dozen other items in their original Japanese packages all looking like the day they were made.

There are also 8 items from Tenyo for the 15th Anniversary of Tokyo DisneySea--all in collectible packaging with Disney theming on the tricks. Six of the items are versions of tricks they have sold before, but two of the items are new. These will be on sale at Tokyo DisneySea (only) until March, I believe. Tokyo Disneyland had 9 or 10 items just for its 30th Anniversary.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:But I bought most things. Coincidentally, I also recently bought a mint Japanese edition of "Mirage" along with "Billscape" and about half a dozen other items in their original Japanese packages all looking like the day they were made.
So I assume these are the duplicates you'll be giving away with purchases of Tenyoism? ;)
Richard Kaufman wrote:There are also 8 items from Tenyo for the 15th Anniversary of Tokyo DisneySea--all in collectible packaging with Disney theming on the tricks. Six of the items are versions of tricks they have sold before, but two of the items are new. These will be on sale at Tokyo DisneySea (only) until March, I believe. Tokyo Disneyland had 9 or 10 items just for its 30th Anniversary.
Just curious, which are the two new items? Is that the Changing Cards and Magical Art?
Is there anything special about them that makes them worth picking up?

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:20 am

Yes, "Changing Cards" and "Magical Art."
I collect all Tenyo. Your mileage may vary.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:38 am

nice 1 richard!! that must have been awesome being in Akira Yamada"s office. wow what an honour, iam very jealous !

bradtoulouse

Post by bradtoulouse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:08 am

I would LOOOOOOOVE to get my grubby Tenyo paws on the orange Jumbo Happy Dog!!!
:mrgreen:

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:08 am

I have never seen another "Happy Dog" beside the setI own, which was given to me by my friend Hasui.