Tenyo Coin Gaffs and Boxes

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
VictorS

Tenyo Coin Gaffs and Boxes

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:59 am

Hi everyone,

I see Tenyo has lots of offer for coin gaffs like copper silver brass, $1.35 , folding half, cig through half, hopping halves, etc and also coin boxes like Okito coin box (I assume), magna coin box but not the penultimate coin boxes set. Has anyone tried to buy it ? I know that our John Mazza has some of them in his collection.

My questions are:
1. Did Tenyo produce all coin gaffs and box or Tenyo bought it from other producer like Johnson, etc?
2. How is the quality of the props ? They look very good indeed.

If I see the price, they are not not cheap, especially for the good ones like copper silver brass set and hopping halves. I know it`s not an easy task to produce such gaffs and no wonder it`s expensive (over than $100,-).

I have another version of it but I personally love the copper silver brass transposition routine, you start clean and end clean. The hopping halves is also a good one, everything must be precisely made.

Would be great if someone can share some review on buying Tenyo coin gaffs and box.
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Victor

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Re: Tenyo Coin Gaffs and Boxes

Post by Elliot W. » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:15 am

Almost all of Tenyos coin gaffs are made by Johnson. They are listed in Tenyo's catalogs as Johnson coins.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:39 am

The only items made by Tenyo are the Okito Box and the Coin Box Collection. Everything else was made by Johnson in the US. The quality of Johnson products doesn't compare to the high end coin gimmicks made by people like Todd Lassen and others.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info Elliot and Richard :)
Talking about Okito Box, is this the one you are talking about Richard ? Unfortunately I have only below picture from the adv. and not the actual product. And seems that it fits for the 500 JPY, will it fit also for American half dollar ? They have approx 4 mm difference on the diameter. Half dollar is bigger than the 500 JPY coin.

Thanks,
Victor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:21 pm

No, the boxes are not the same size for half dollars and 500 yen coins.

I have various different Tenyo Okito boxes going back to the early 1960s, but have never thought to put a coin in them.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:34 pm

I don't own an okito box, anyone got any goods tips for a good supplier?
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:28 pm

I have a small collection of okito boxes, and I especially like the buddha boxes by Chazpro, they have a nice shape and I especially like the lid to conceal/steal a coin. The routines of David Roth are very good, I have the book Expert Coin Magic by David Roth, (published by Richard Kaufman :) ), and these routines can also be found on DVD's Coin magic made easy by David Roth I believe the title was.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:33 pm

SimonC wrote:I don't own an okito box, anyone got any goods tips for a good supplier?
First, you will need to determine what kind of box you prefer, Okito, Boston, or Slot. Or, you can buy a set which contains all of them and a lid.

Do you want, brass, stainless steel, or copper? Brass are readily available, stainless steel not so much. Copper even less.

Do you want a heavy one or lighter one?

Do you want one with a hole in the center of the lid and box? Not easy to find.

Once you make the various decision, who should you contact? Hmmm... :D
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:50 pm

I need to do my homework but I think a heavy brass Boston.
Now you see me...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Heavy brass Boston spells Chazpro. I agree with Rob that they are nice.

Please allow me to suggest that you look at a Chazpro box online because their design is not standard and is an acquired taste. I would add it here if I knew how! :lol:

By the way, they make them in three sizes...dollar, half dollar/2 euro, and quarter.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:09 pm

What a nice discussion we have here :)
Steve, the one with a hole in the middle, what can we do with it? I see that DP magic still produces that box. I believe it's the idea of Japanese magician.

Simon, I prefer the heavy brass too. It feels good in your hands. My friend made for me a boston with 1 dollar. It's little bit too big for my hands but it's really cool.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:45 pm

There is a routine for that type of box in the book OKITO COIN BOX ROUTINES by Mohamned Bey.

When I worked in the magic shop a million years ago, we sold tiny wands which you could use to penetrate the coins in the box by pushing the wand through that little hole in the box. They were adorable tiny wands made of wood and came in packages of 25 or 50 I believe.

I have one of those boxes made of copper by Morrissey who are out of business.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Rob Rand wrote:I have a small collection of okito boxes, and I especially like the buddha boxes by Chazpro, they have a nice shape and I especially like the lid to conceal/steal a coin. The routines of David Roth are very good, I have the book Expert Coin Magic by David Roth, (published by Richard Kaufman :) ), and these routines can also be found on DVD's Coin magic made easy by David Roth I believe the title was.
And try also Roth Ultimate Coin Magic Collection DVD vol.1 all routines with coin gaffs and vol. 2 for Okito Box routine.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:16 pm

I have the chazpro stainless steel set, it's a joy to perform!

You get an okito, a boston and a slot box, and 1 lid.

For me they are the most practical okito boxes, the design makes some moves easier.

Ha Mohammed Bey, I have his little booklet, bought that ages ago.

And yes Victor, I meant the Ultimate Magic Collection DVD by David Roth. David Roth has really revived the okito box with his clever and yet not too difficult to perform routines.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 pm

One really good thing about the Chazpro Buddha design is that it looks like a pill box rather than a magic prop.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Ooh I just looked up a Buddha box, tasty. The one I saw has a magnetic lid, is that normal?
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Do the stainless steel boxes have same, heavier or lighter weight than brass? Somehow the brass looks more classic elegant than steinless. But I think it's only about personal taste. With brass we also need to polish it regularly to keep it shiny.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:02 pm

SimonC wrote:Ooh I just looked up a Buddha box, tasty. The one I saw has a magnetic lid, is that normal?

No, actually it's not typical.

That feature is for workers who want to do routines with extra moves, etc. using special coins.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:06 pm

VictorS wrote:Do the stainless steel boxes have same, heavier or lighter weight than brass? Somehow the brass looks more classic elegant than steinless. But I think it's only about personal taste. With brass we also need to polish it regularly to keep it shiny.
The weight is the same from what I remember.

The coins to box contrast changes when you use a silver colored box.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:34 pm

The best boxes on the market right now are made by Craig Osterling. You can find him on Facebook.

Also here: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... coin%20box

Rob, it took me three years to write, illustrate, and layout David Roth's Expert Coin Magic before I published it. :)

You don't want a box with a hole in the lid: no one uses those anymore.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Speaking of coin boxes (which I love to do!), there are many variations, some of which are excellent.

Johnson makes the Magna Coin Box set. There was a special box where the bottom of the box flipped down. That type was available in the seventies but revived about a decade ago but the problem was that they were not properly made so the loose bottom did not function properly. Viking made the Quartokito set. Here is a description...

A great way to vanish a marked quarter, only to have the same marked coin reappear elsewhere (like a ring casket!) Great routine where you show a marked white label thru the box lid. This is one coin thick boston box with lid.

Then, we have a nickel size Boston box with no lid. That was also available in the seventies. I loved the handling because of its small size.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:05 am

I've gone down the rabbit hole!
I think that's the first thing on my crimbo list. What's the price difference likely to be between a brass and copper version? Is it significant?
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:53 am

Funny I just had a talk with my students about alloys. If you buy something from pure cupper you'll have to maintain it a lot to keep it looking great. If you don't it will become greenish. It does have that deep red/yellow colour which looks absolutely beautifull of course.

Brass is cupper and zinc and is less sensitive to humidity/oxygen. I have several brass tricks and they still look good. One way to clean them is:
- poor some water on a soup plate and add a spoon of salt and some vinegar;
- gently clean the trick with this solution;
- abundantly rinse it with pure water (preferably distilled) - the solution with salt and vinegar is quite agressive for the metal;
- rub it dry with a soft coton cloth;

There are of course solutions to clean cupper and /or brass but they're not cheap and the way I described above works just fine.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:06 am

cool! thanks fr the tip, if copper is going to tarnish just as easily as brass then I'd go for brass, I was just thinking with my lazy hat!
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:39 am

Sent you a PM Si :)