Tenyo Coin Gaffs and Boxes

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Steve S.

Re: Tenyo Coin Gaffs and Boxes

Post by Steve S. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:31 am

SimonC wrote:I've gone down the rabbit hole!
I think that's the first thing on my crimbo list. What's the price difference likely to be between a brass and copper version? Is it significant?

The only copper one I can think of is the one from Morrissey. It's very light and the price is low but not great quality. I don't recommend it as a first box. Cost would be around $15. By the way, they made them half dollar size only and with and without a hole.

The cost of brass boxes vary but average around $20-$30.

I believe Bazar de Magia still makes nice standard design brass OKITO and BOSTON boxes and they come with a carry bag. Then there are the Okitos from India and China which cost somewhat less.

Tango makes a wide variety of boxes including an aluminum box. I have not seen any of them in person but suspect that they are good. Tango accommodates different size coins.

Important features are properly weighted bottom of the box and a lid that sits properly on the box.

The size of the coins you want to fit into the box may narrow the selection down. Chazpro accommodates various size coins but many others are for half dollars or the old large half dollar size English penny only.

Update: It appears that some of Chazpro's boxes are currently unavailable. This includes quarter size and a few styles. He will probably remake some of them in the future though.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:32 am

How about Johnson`s Brass Boxes ? Are they good ? Has anyone bought Johnson`s version ? They have a good price too but unfortunately they do not accept Paypal :(
http://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/sho ... 2afd5a68fc

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:50 am

VictorS wrote:How about Johnson`s Brass Boxes ? Are they good ? Has anyone bought Johnson`s version ? They have a good price too but unfortunately they do not accept Paypal :(

I bought the Magna box in the seventies and loved that set! I wonder where I put it! :roll:

You can't go wrong with their boxes. They are what I would call standard design.

i would think that it would be safe to buy from them without PayPal. They have been around for a very long time.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks for the input Steve, I will try to contact them again. What is actually Magna coin Box ? Is the okito box magnetic ? And it came with 2 gimmick halves which I assume magnetic too. I assume it's like slot box but instead of slot, the magnet will hold the coin. Well maybe I am wrong :) I just realize that Tenyo increases almost double on Johnson's price for the coin gaffs...hmmm.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:59 am

You are correct Victor! It makes use of magnets. The special coins and address book have those properties.

If I recall correctly, when I bought it all those years ago, they provided a thick black platform to use rather than the more practical address book.

I always felt that Johnson products were consistently a quality product and better than all other commercial manufacturers of precision coins which can be hit or miss. I never saw a Johnson product I didn't like in terms of quality.

When I worked in the shop, the owner would order Johnson products on special occasions. I was very excited when they arrived and got to see and buy them. It was like looking at a Cadillac rather than a Chevrolet!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:22 am

Ha...thanks for the info again Steve. I would say... it's like chop cup but with coin ;)
Johnson made an excellent cups and balls set too and also chop cup. I never feel them in hands but looking at the price, it must be something really good.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Steve S. wrote:
VictorS wrote:How about Johnson`s Brass Boxes ? Are they good ? Has anyone bought Johnson`s version ? They have a good price too but unfortunately they do not accept Paypal :(

I bought the Magna box in the seventies and loved that set! I wonder where I put it! :roll:

You can't go wrong with their boxes. They are what I would call standard design.

i would think that it would be safe to buy from them without PayPal. They have been around for a very long time.
I totally agree. I own a regular Johnson okito box, good quality. And yes, the Magna box is great, if you also order that special coin :) Oh no, that is the Jo Pro coin box, with the special coin: the J.G. Thompson coin.
The Jo Pro coin box toegether with teh J.G. Thompson coin is great for a small but amazing close-up act.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:06 pm

You don't need fake coins or gaffed boxes (other than a Boston Box, and you can probably do without that).
Read the section on Okito Box magic in David Roth's Expert Coin Technique. That's all you need.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:18 am

Richard I totally agree... I love the routines developed by David Roth for the okito box, and only normal cpins are needed. And I love it that all these routines are written in a real book, Expert Coin Magic, which is a joy to read and study. I even translated Roth's routines in Dutch, to understand all the moves better.

I just collected all kinds of coin boxes, out of curiosity.