How do you maintain sponge magic props ?

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
VictorS

How do you maintain sponge magic props ?

Post by VictorS » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I`m not sure if we have already had this discussion but I thing beside all the electronic or wooden Tenyos or non Tenyo magic props, sponge is fragile material that we need to consider too (although the price of sponge props are not that expensive comparing to other collectible props)

I have a Puff The magic Dragon from Goshman, after few years it started to crumble but thank`s god, nothing happens for other sponge props especially tenyo ones. I`m not sure if this depends on the quality of the sponge or other factor. Heat and storage can be important things to be considered too. If this will be the nature of sponge that will crumble by itself, then we can do nothing and replace it with the new one. I have some sponge balls and rabbits by Goshman, thay are about more than 15 or 20 years and I stored it in the cabinet, protected from sunlight but they are still in the good condition.

Another tips that we had the problem most of the time, never store the colorful sponge (light and dark color) together but organize and separate it based on color. The color can be transferred from one to another and It think it`s impossible to clean it up. I remember our BobD told his story that his Tenyo Mystery Dogs transformed to become Dalmatians because of this issue :) Thanks for the tips Bob. This can be also happen to our Tenyo Parabox and other props.

Would be great to hear your experience as best practice and lessons learn. Really appreciate your feedback.

Thank you guys,
Victor

VictorS

Re: How do you maintain sponge magic props ?

Post by VictorS » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Another great tips i got from other professional magician, prepare yourself a small spray bottle filled with water. Just in case your sponge props are not in the good shape due to storage and pressure, we can wash it or spray the sponge to fix it. It you wash it, it will expand from the original size. Use the napkin to dry out.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Sponges deteriorate over time. There's no way around that.

But Tenyo's super soft sponge seems to do better than most others. I haven't had any of those dry out yet.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:48 am

Has anyone ever tried freezing their balls?
*insert joke here*
Now you see me...

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:40 pm

SimonC wrote:Has anyone ever tried freezing their balls?
*insert joke here*
I did but there was a lot of shrinkage and they turned blue. I had to use the palming technique to get them back to their original size and color. :-)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:04 pm

That's a common problem, particularly at this time of year.
Now you see me...