Disney Magic

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Elliot W.
Charter Member

Disney Magic

Post by Elliot W. » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:04 pm

So does anyone here collect Disney Magic?
I picked up some pieces here and there and it got me curious as to how many Disney tricks Tenyo produced. Since there doesn't seem to be any resource listing all of Tenyo's Disney tricks, I decided to try and make a list myself. I basically documented every Disney trick I was able to find online.

So far I was able to find over 200 Disney tricks including multiple versions of the same trick (i.e. magic cards)
Here is a quick list of what I came up with so far.

So does anyone have or know of any tricks that I am missing?
I am sure there are a lot more tricks that I haven't found yet so any help on this would be appreciated. :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Disney Magic

Post by SimonC » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:22 pm

I think Richard is the man for this one
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:16 pm

Elliott, you've made an excellent start. There are a few things there I was unaware of.

I'd say there are another 150 items at least.

But you should separate your list into general Disney magic tricks sold in Japan, and those only made for and sold at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:12 am

Hi Elliot....I am enjoying read this thread on Disneyland Hong Kong today with the family :) I haven't downloaded the list but I believe you have a great disney tenyo collections. Still exhausted but happy...well this is one of the happiest place in the world. Although i cannot find Tenyo magic here but every show looks awesome and magical to me. Disney really knows how to create magic and happiness! So...gotta go back to the hotel....they are closing now.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:58 am

Victor, there is no Tenyo sold at any Disney park except Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:08 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Victor, there is no Tenyo sold at any Disney park except Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea.
Yes Richard. I knew it and thanks again for the info ;) I should bring some of my Tenyos to perform it here and maybe make some videos of it but that was the last thing I forgot to do unfortunately :( maybe next time at Disneyland Japan and Disneysea ;)

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:41 am

They used to sell the regular non-Disney Tenyo items at Disneyworld in Florida way back when (Maybe the 70s?)
Too bad that is long gone.
Anyway Victor enjoy your vacation. Sounds like lots of fun.
Richard Kaufman wrote:
But you should separate your list into general Disney magic tricks sold in Japan, and those only made for and sold at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea.
Yeah it's kind of a jumble at the moment. Just did a quick list based on the file names. I'll have to do something better with it at some point.
In the meantime I have to find the missing 150 tricks. ;)

Th problem with these is that a lot of them Tenyo only made for a year or two which makes them pretty tough to locate.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 am

Wow ... I never knew there were THAT many Disney theme tricks Tenyo made! Thanks for making this fantastic list Elliot! When I opened it I was expecting to have a 'raw' Excel file but you included pictures for every item - WOW :o .

I have several Disney tricks and have bought quite a lot of items (by far not all) that came out the past few years, but I'm no where near having a complete collection!! I really love the Frozen Cups and Balls ) they are simply beautifull for children. Other items that are really nice are Invisible Zone and Blue Crystal.

There are a few items from the past I'd love to have
-the Disney version of Midas Machine, but unfortunately when it pops up on Ebay it is way over budget ... ;
- the Dynamic Coins version (perhaps this is still available);
- Mirror Mate (I'm not into paddle tricks but I really like the looks of it).

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:12 am

Dynamic Coins is still available in at least one version and is also sold in the "Magical 3" sets.

I'd love to get a Mirror mate as well but they seem to be very much in demand. Every one I've seen has sold for for a quite a lot of $$$.

I'd also like to get a dancing cane or 2. Those are probably still sold but they seem like a pain to get shipped from japan.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Dancing canes are readily available. There are two versions at the moment, I think: regular Mickey, and Mickey from Fantasia. They're cheap, too. (I never saw the Pooh version before!)

The special versions of Dynamic Coins are still sold at DisneySea in the Arabian Coast area, where Tenyo has a demonstration area. It is themed to the Genie and the Magic Lamp Theater.

The ones included in the Magical 3 set (about $80, I think) are themed to Mickey.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:22 pm

If memory serves a pooh cane is what the ancient Egyptians used before the invention of toilet papyrus
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:44 am

Elliot W. wrote:So does anyone here collect Disney Magic?
I picked up some pieces here and there and it got me curious as to how many Disney tricks Tenyo produced. Since there doesn't seem to be any resource listing all of Tenyo's Disney tricks, I decided to try and make a list myself. I basically documented every Disney trick I was able to find online.

So far I was able to find over 200 Disney tricks including multiple versions of the same trick (i.e. magic cards)
Here is a quick list of what I came up with so far.

So does anyone have or know of any tricks that I am missing?
I am sure there are a lot more tricks that I haven't found yet so any help on this would be appreciated. :)
=============================================================
I finally had time to dl this.

Whew, what an amazing amount of time and research must have gone into making this list!

I, for one, had no idea that there were that many Disney items ...

Which effects are your personal favorites?

Many thanks,
Bob~
and now, on with the show ...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Not really sure which are my favorites. Most of the Disney items are simply based on older tricks but having Disney characters on them always makes them better (at least when peforming for kids).

Offhand I would say the Ghost Lamp trick is really nice (the method is different than the T-numbered one that Tenyo made) and the magic hats are a lot of fun to perform.

I also like when Tenyo adds their own twist to some oldies. For instance, adding the sleeve on the rising wand and removing the switch on their pencil case drawer boxes.

The most recent item I recieved is the second Aladdin magic set. It contains a nice little packet trick. Nothing new magically but the routine is very cute.

Last but not least the Mickey animated Art Bank and magic show banks are fun items to have around.

At one one point I came up with a whole routine with just Winnie-the-Pooh tricks. Didn't really get the chance too try it out too much though.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:39 am

Thank you Elliot, there seems to be no end to the amazing, vast Tenyo story.
and now, on with the show ...

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Currently, I have the Olaf magic cubes, Disney clue crystal and the Pinocchio animation frame on the way, for my mom as she is a big Pinocchio fan and i`m going to do it for her birthday. :)

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:56 pm

I found two more Disney items to add to my list.

The TDR 25 aniv Magic Book.
Magic Book - TDR 20 Aniv .jpg
Not quite sure what this is. Maybe a six bill repeat or a Money Shock type effect?
Six Bill repeat.JPG
If anyone has this or can translate it please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm

The picture for the dollar trick says 'Magic Dollar'

Anticlimactic, I know.
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Elliot W. wrote:
Not quite sure what this is. Maybe a six bill repeat or a Money Shock type effect?.
Nice :)
Elliot, does the instruction mention something, probably through the illustrations ? Or it is just text only?

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Unfortunetly I don't own the item. Just found a picture of it online with no real description.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Elliot W. wrote:Unfortunetly I don't own the item. Just found a picture of it online with no real description.
I see, I misunderstood your point. Let see, maybe someone will come up with a feedback.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Some more Disney tricks that I don't have but will be added to my list:

Gift of Dreams - Basically another repackaging of Arabian Cards
Gift of Dreams.PNG

Aladdin Angel's Coins
Angels Coins - Aladdin.jpg
Aladdin Coin in Nest
Coin in Nest - Aladdin.jpg
A little curious about this last one as it does not seem to contain the standard holder for this trick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:44 pm

IIRC. I thought it was possible to do Nest of Coins without the holder, it's just tricker.
Where's my colon?!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:25 pm

There's a handling of Tenyo's Nest of Boxes in my book The Complete Works of Derek Dingle. It does not use the holder, among other interesting things.