MB Magic Works Electronic Talking Toys discussion

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Steve S.

MB Magic Works Electronic Talking Toys discussion

Post by Steve S. » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 pm

I thought it would be fun and informative to have some discussion about the three Milton Bradley Magic Works Electronic Talking Toys. That is, Guardian of the Grave, Secret of the Sphinx, and Spirit in the Coffin.

Last night, I decided to dig them out of storage, insert the batteries, and try them out to see if they still work properly. It appears that they do thankfully! :)

I am not sure which one I like the best but perhaps l like Secret of the Sphinx and Spirit in the Coffin better than Guardian of the Grave. One reason is that they both use cards.

Maybe it's time to display them which will make access easier so I may want to perform them more often. At this point, they are more than 20 years old so not too many people would remember them although some will if they had them as a child. Even so, they may get a kick out of the nostalgia factor.

They should still have the "cool" factor for youngsters so I expect them to be a hit when they hear them talk.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

magicjeff

Re: MB Magic Works Electronic Talking Toys discussion

Post by magicjeff » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 pm

They are definitely great effects. My top 2 are spirit and the guardian. The sphinx is good also but don't perform it often. The other 2 have seen a Halloween for the past 8 years!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:24 pm

All by Mark Setteducati--a genius.

Brett H

Re: Collecting Milton Bradley"s Magic Works.

Post by Brett H » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:15 am

Steve S. wrote:I wonder why no one has ever posted demos of any of the Magic Works Electronic Talking Toys on YouTube. The only one I see there is a brief television commercial for all 3.
For some reason, I don't 'get' electronic magic. I know there is a degree of brilliance that goes into them, especially for the three in question.

I come from a background of aircraft avionics. To me, even in super complex functions, all electronics are programmed to do something. I guess, at this time, I can't see the magic in the electronic magic works. Which sucks.

I'd like so see some in depth discussion on them, a video review. Whatever it takes to try and dislodge some of this bias.
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:22 am

I love all these items, but never really used them in actual performances.
My favourite is probably Spirit In The Coffin, but unfortunately it's also the one that breaks the easiest ... . I have one that broke down and one still working. I opened up the broken one and had a look inside ... the quality of the materials used is very bad ... . There's a little tube filled with what I believe is iron powder which does part of the magic when you lift up de m********* cover. This is the part that breaks VERY easily.

All three tricks should be remade of better quality - I wouldn't hesitate to buy all three of them, even if they would cost 10 times what their original price was.

And yes, Mark Setteducati IS a genius.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:41 am

David DeTenyo wrote:I love all these items, but never really used them in actual performances.
My favourite is probably Spirit In The Coffin, but unfortunately it's also the one that breaks the easiest ... . I have one that broke down and one still working. I opened up the broken one and had a look inside ... the quality of the materials used is very bad ... . There's a little tube filled with what I believe is iron powder which does part of the magic when you lift up de m********* cover. This is the part that breaks VERY easily.

All three tricks should be remade of better quality - I wouldn't hesitate to buy all three of them, even if they would cost 10 times what their original price was.

And yes, Mark Setteducati IS a genius.

I know a Brit with a 3D printer and a laser cutter.
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:58 am

Yeah I know one too. His name begins with an S and ends with imon Craze :D

The problem is finding someone who has a good knowledge of electronics and is able to get the required materials to make it work ... at an affordable price :)
And ... you should have permission from Mr. Setteducati/Hasbro of course if you would make it for someone else besides yourself ... .

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:39 am

Wouldn't you be able to gut the electronics from a good one and Frankenstein it into a Craze variant?
Where's my colon?!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:All by Mark Setteducati--a genius.
Indeed he is! He also created many other things such as the MR. CREEPY MAGIC SET, THE MAGIC SHOW book, the Magic Works series concept, lots of great toys, and much more.

I consider Mark to be someone the world of magic is lucky to have. His creativity is truly wonderful and has provided us with so much fun! :D

By the way, Mark is a wonderful guy as well!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:45 pm

All of his creations are so creative and amazing.
I forget, isn't he also responsible for introducing Lubor Fiedler to Tenyo?

As far as the Electronic Magic Works I really like all of them but Spirit in the Coffin is really my favorite. You can let the spectator play with it all day and they'd never figure out how the trick is done.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:50 pm

I am thinking that I like Spirit in the Coffin the best as well. I like the look and design of the props and the way it works. A very cool effect!

Perhaps the runner-up for me is Secret if the Sphinx.

My opinions are subject to change without notice. :lol:

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 am

MBMW "Spirit In The Coffin" is impossible to explain. ~ :o ~
and now, on with the show ...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon May 08, 2017 3:59 am

I would like thank our quite new member magicjeff on helping me getting all 3 clever electronic magic props on Ebay. Thanks buddy ! ;)

I have to agree that Mark Satteducatti is truly a genius. Well no wonder if we see all of his creations. I am not really fan on the electronic magic props but for this, it`s an exception. Combining classic principals of magic, electronic works, sounds, lights and integrate programmable logic into the props makes everything perfect. This brought close up magic trick to another level. The secrets are totally hidden especially for laymen unless they read the instructions.

From the all of 3, my most favorite is Spirit in the Coffin (I believe, this is the most clever one), the 2nd: Guardian (the programmable logic amazed me) of the Grave and 3rd : Secret of the Sphinx (just realize that "special thing" is really exist to make the trick work :) :).

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue May 09, 2017 2:10 am

I consider "Spirit In The Coffin" to be a real-deal "bees knees" magic trick.

I read somewhere that Angelo Carbone said that he preformed this trick many times, and was never once caught. He loved the trick, and so do I.

I have had Anverdi electronic items, and I consider "Spirit" to be a fine-fine-super fine electronic item.

Don't let the modest price fool ya!
and now, on with the show ...