Best way to open a Blister Package

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Tenyofun

Best way to open a Blister Package

Post by Tenyofun » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:31 pm

I recently acquired a spare Fantastica BNIP.

What is the best way to cut/open the package to keep it as nice as possible?

Should I just pull out the blister?

Richard W
Global Moderator

Re: Best way to open a Blister Package

Post by Richard W » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Don't know if the packaging on it will allow for it but many can be opened like a book by separating the cardboard where it is glued together that would be the ideal way to open any of them if you can get that to work for you. ;)
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:16 pm

I get my butler to open mine
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:24 pm

I personally don't like the pulled blister. I like the split package better.

With Fantastica I think what I would do is open up the back pocket, and try and slide it out through there (like a vaginal birth). You might split the sides a bit (ouch) but I think you can get it out without too much damage. I have successfully used this approach for flat tricks such as Geometrick and Vault Vision.

You can also try a C section. What I have done is cut the blister on two and a half sides and pull the trick out that way. I have never seen a Tenyo blister package opened that way, but it might be the best method because it would be the least detectible if re-displaying it.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:15 pm

I would hold out for an open one. Much like giving birth, there's no going back once the package is opened.

Fantastica comes up for sale every once in a while.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 am

Once an item is opened (especially the ones that still are for sale now and than in mint condition), even if it is done extremely carefull and almost not detectable, it looses a significant amount of its value. Of course for yourself it is better to have a nice looking opened package which you can display and there is a difference in selling a completely damaged package or a carefully, almost intact opened one :)
For the extremely hard to find tricks the value the trick looses when opened carefully won't drop significantly because collectors know finding them in 'mint' condition is close to impossible. Super Vase A La India, Coin Case ... and some others also weren't shrink wrapped when they came out and they are just 'boxes' with flaps.

On old blister packages from Ultra Tube, Wonder Window and some others the glue has often worn off so they are opened easily (like a book). If you can get one of these and the glue did NOT wore off carefully try to split one of the sides with an exacto knife and eventually it will come apart very neatly.

I open my 'new' Tenyo's that are in box as they are supposed to (pull the top flap up and it opens on the 'cut line' (don't know the English word for it), I always reinforce the 'line' with an exacto knife.
For the ones in blister packaging I cut a fine line with an exacto knife just beneath the clear plastic/blister and pull it out, it is easily reassabled. Of course the front of the box is then damaged, perhaps I should cut the back part as John suggests in stead but then you would have to be carefull not to cut the instruction sheet.
John B. wrote:Much like giving birth, there's no going back once the package is opened.
:lol: True true, in most cases it looses it's value to a certain degree too :lol:

JohnM
Site Admin

How to Open a Modern Blister Package

Post by JohnM » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Use a sharp razor knife where indicated in the picture. Move the flap to the right and then slide out the plastic shell.
open modern package.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Re: How to Open a Modern Blister Package

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03 am

JohnM wrote:Use a sharp razor knife where indicated in the picture. Move the flap to the right and then slide out the plastic shell.
open modern package.jpg
Cool....thanks for the advice John. I`m also have a similar thought like you. I`m thinking of cutting the slit on the left and right side and bend (not fold) little bit the bottom cardboard part to slide out the bottom part of the plastic. So to unpack we can slide out the whole plastic with the content and do the reverse process to pack it back. What I`m worry about if the plastic part was glued together with the cardboard so I will have problem to slide it out.

I will open my BNIP Credit Surprise in the near future which I assume that will work also with our unpack methods. Will let you know the progress.

Thanks.
Victor

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:27 am

I think you will get creasing in the cardboard and plastic doing it with just the two slits. Also it will be difficult to repack the trick. I guess you can start with that method ans see how it goes.

The package is designed to be opened the way I mentioned. The sharp knife assures a clean cut an no tearing. The plastic is not glued to the cardboard so you can slide it in and out without too much effort.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi John,

This is the result of my experiment, seems that everything worked as planned ;)

Fig.1 Preparation

Fig 2 and 3, gentle cuts through the cardboard on left and right sides. Do not cut the plastic part.

Fig.4 I bent the bottom part to slide out the plastic portion out from the cardboard. We should be extra gentle on this part

Fig.5 & 6 : Rotate and sliding out the content. Hold the instructions during sliding process if not it could stuck somewhere in the cardboard.

Fig.7 : Fun time :D

Fig.8 : Pack the props. Sliding back the plastic part into the cardboard (reverse process fig 5 &6) In this point I left the bottom portion outside because it is too fragile to slide it back again into the cardboard although it`s still possible. I use rubber band to secure bottom part. Instruction went into my filing system.

So hope this will be one of the best solution.

Thanks again for your idea John.

Victor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VictorS on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Nicely done Victor.

Thanks for sharing the great illustrations on how to do it and what it all looks like.

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 am

Thanks guys for the great advice.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu