First Information about the 2015 Tenyo Tricks

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Shan

Re: First Information about the 2015 Tenyo Tricks

Post by Shan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:41 am

So far I really like the butterfly trick! It really catches my eye!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:15 am

I read somewhere that the box is presented as empty.

I do hope the 'pin' is just for aesthetic and not a part of the gimmick (so I can NOT use the pin). Otherwise, I'm only getting one for my daughter.
Last edited by Brett H on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:19 am

SimonC wrote:I love this bit :) it's always exciting getting the first few bit of info through, then we can all start theorising about what they are and how they work. I remember thnking MRI used a smart material that went clear on one side when a current was passed through it. I must've been drunk
The effect with the butterfly reminds me to the clear card change box. It is like Tenyo card case but with clear lid and slightly different principal. The butterfly trick looks so simple that you force 1 card out of 4 and reveal the prediction. With clear change box, we could have 2 outcomes. So forcing 1 card out of 4 is easy, forcing 2 cards out of 4 is almost like a free choice. But as Simon said, I could`ve been drunk too, you never know the ingenious idea behind Tenyo inventors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:25 am

I would actually be surprised if a force was needed for the butterfly effect. It is gimmicked, and no gimmick is necessary if you force a card. In any case if you do need to force a card and the outcome of the trick would alays be the same it would be one of the most stupid tricks ever created by Tenyo! It would mean you get 4 marked cards and one stupid box with a butterfly in it ... .

No, I think (hope) the lid of the box is gimmicked with 4 butterflies in it. Depending on the chosen card you open the box and 1, 2, 3 or 4 butterflies fall from the lid in the box, making it seem the chosen one (the one on top) was in the box - or one is already in the box and you have to let 1, 2 or 3 fall in the box (but then of course the box can not be shown empty beforehand). But perhaps this is a bit of wishfull thinking :? - it would require a very nifty gimmick. Reminds me of MW's Triple Predicition Box.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:33 am

David DeTenyo wrote: No, I think (hope) the lid of the box is gimmicked with 4 butterflies in it.
I hope that too David. Please Ignore my crazy imagination :D Even I hope that the butterfly can change in 4 color by itself. :o

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:40 am

David DeTenyo wrote:the trick would alays be the same it would be one of the most stupid tricks ever created by Tenyo! It would mean you get 4 marked cards and one stupid box with a butterfly in it ... .
Oh my god can you imagine?! That would have to give china surprise a run for its money.
I like the look of this trick very much
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:47 am

After taking a closer look at the picture I believe the working may be different from what I hope, perhaps better or worse, don't know.

- the lid of the box seems very thin, difficult to hide different butterflies in it, however it seems you have to take out the inner (grey) 'sample' box as in the picture? Or is the sample box shown empty and the whole black box is placed on top? The part with the pin going through the card and then the box is placed on top confuses me, it seems the pin is needed to perform the effect. Are there 4 different pins perhaps? Each with another height?
- the butterfly lies on a clear sheet of plastic, so more then one butterfly on top of eachother would work;
- the grey box with the butterfly in it cosists of 4 parts: bottom part, middle part, flat top part and plastic piece with butterfly on/in it.

After a performance video we will more or less find out how it works :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:51 am

David DeTenyo wrote:I would actually be surprised if a force was needed for the butterfly effect. It is gimmicked, and no gimmick is necessary if you force a card. In any case if you do need to force a card and the outcome of the trick would alays be the same it would be one of the most stupid tricks ever created by Tenyo! It would mean you get 4 marked cards and one stupid box with a butterfly in it ... .

No, I think (hope) the lid of the box is gimmicked with 4 butterflies in it. Depending on the chosen card you open the box and 1, 2, 3 or 4 butterflies fall from the lid in the box, making it seem the chosen one (the one on top) was in the box - or one is already in the box and you have to let 1, 2 or 3 fall in the box (but then of course the box can not be shown empty beforehand). But perhaps this is a bit of wishfull thinking :? - it would require a very nifty gimmick. Reminds me of MW's Triple Predicition Box.
If your lid theory holds true, then I'd imagine the pin would play a heavy part in dropping the butterflies

I'm thinking of a more elaborate diabolocus.
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:09 am

Like Diabolicus? In what way?

I believe I'm overthinking this trick actually. Due to Tenyo keeping production costs low the last couple of years the secret will probably be much simpler.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:19 am

Don't forget these are translated descriptions and translations from Japanese to English are not very good.

But it is still a lot of fun to speculate before we get to see the videos and try them out for ourselves.

For sure I like this years batch much better than last years.

When I saw the word "pin" in the translation, I though of how bug collectors use pins to preserve their samples. There is also a mention of a sample box so my thought was that the pin was just to make it more of an authentic butterfly sample.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:32 am

Had another email from Ami Ami.
Thank you for ordering with AmiAmi.
Good news, we were able to secure your order.
As your order includes pre-order item(s), they will be available in Oct-2014
Pete :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:41 am

WAHEY! well done Pete :)
Now you see me...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:54 am

I was thinking it would be cool if the butterfly had 2 different colors on each side and there is a mechanism to flip the butterfly over while it is inside the closed box.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:30 am

a bit like the 4 coloured fan?
Now you see me...

JayGhost80

Post by JayGhost80 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:20 pm

My guess is it is a card force. It may come with the different color butterflies so you can load whichever color you feel like using for the performance. Then it will just be show the box empty and the gimmick makes the butterfly appear.
I just recently became interested and magic and only found out about Tenyo in the last year so this will be my first Tenyo season. I'm excited.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:11 am

wasn't there a MW trick recently that had the (in that case) three outs loaded in the lid? depending on the position of the *no* a different one was displayed.
this is a cool looking trick, one of the first things I'd do would be to make a vintage wood or card box to replace the black one (gimmicks permitting) I'm sure john could work his graphical magic to develop a set of authentic butterfly collectors cards (like old cigarette cards). this definitely has the potential for an FSOJH reduxing ;)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:16 am

SimonC wrote:wasn't there a MW trick recently that had the (in that case) three outs loaded in the lid? depending on the position of the *no* a different one was displayed.
Hidden sun? Eye of the Pharaoh?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:21 am

here are some old cigarette cards, there will definitely be some lovely examples out there..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:23 am

check this dude out. who knew butterfly collecting was such serious business, cheer up mate!
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:29 am

As much as forced card would explain the trick; I'm thinking of Trisector and Crystal Pyramid and thinking that Tenyo would NOT take the easy route on something like this.

Run with me.

The bottom half of the box and the empty butterfly case. NOT Gimmicked.

The top half has ONE butterfly (a gimmicked butterfly) in the top that the pin pushes into the box.

But here's the thing, I think that depending on HOW the box is closed (there are 4 different colored butterflies and 4 different ways of placing the lid on the box) will drop down a special film that will react with certain parts of the gimmicked butterfly and make it appear that color.

Making it so that you could view the butterfly on as many angles as you can see because the film and the butterfly are gimmicked.

Now HOW the films would drop down with the certain closing of the lid, I have no freakin clue.
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:35 am

bloodmoney80 wrote:My guess is it is a card force. It may come with the different color butterflies so you can load whichever color you feel like using for the performance. Then it will just be show the box empty and the gimmick makes the butterfly appear.
I just recently became interested and magic and only found out about Tenyo in the last year so this will be my first Tenyo season. I'm excited.
Welcome to the fold! And you couldn't have joined a better year to jump onto the Tenyo band wagon than this one. This years line-up looks like all winners so far
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:44 am

Brett H wrote:
SimonC wrote:wasn't there a MW trick recently that had the (in that case) three outs loaded in the lid? depending on the position of the *no* a different one was displayed.
Hidden sun? Eye of the Pharaoh?
Magic Wagon, not Magic Works is what Simon meant I believe. You're talking about Trinity Prediction Box I believe Simon.

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Rob Rand wrote:I will buy the new Tenyo's when they arrive at my local magic shop. I am a patient man.
2015 is fast approaching so for me no need to rush too and Magic Butterfly will be my first choice.
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

JayGhost80

Post by JayGhost80 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:25 pm

I do hope that it is a very clever gimmick allowing whichever color butterfly you would like to come out of the box.

has anybody seen this? It seams pricey but looks fun anybody used it?

http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page ... 3&ArtID=82

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:05 pm

JayGhost80 wrote: has anybody seen this? It seams pricey but looks fun anybody used it?

http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page ... 3&ArtID=82
The description of effect sounds like the classic The Web by Jim Pace and it reminds me also to the other classic effect The Carterpillar Love.
http://www.my-magicshop.com/magic-shops ... -shop.html

Card Shark.de produce very good vintage looking deck including tarot deck and special famous packet card trick like Gypsy Curse by Peter Kane.