Tenyo +1's

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

Tenyo +1's

Post by Brett H » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:07 pm

I have a lot caffeine in my system and I'm super chatty. Sorry. I just hope my phone doesn't double post this.

Yesterday, John focussed my attention to Planet Tenyo for a +1 trick. LP and behold, Tenyo has several of these things.

The +1 tricks are Tenyo packet tricks for acquiring a certain amount of that years tricks. I hope I got that correct. I'll check up on Planet Tenyo again just to make sure I got it right. But give it a look. Some crazy under the radar tricks from what they look like.

With that, what are some of the best +1 tricks out there? What are the worst?

I say this because I want to get Magical Burger, despite that John has told me it's difficult to do. I think the trick will be a helpful memory exercise for me (as my short term memory got completely fubar a couple years ago).

EDIT: my phone DID double post this. So happy there is a thread delete function
Where's my colon?!

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Tenyo +1's

Post by JohnM » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:15 pm

You should get Magic Sneakers, that is the best in my opinion and easy to get right now as they reprinted it. Another good one they just reprinted is Magic Calendar. Bird Watcher Too (which you have is very similar to Dream Psychometry.

Another two popular ones are Illusion Scale and Ghost Puzzle. They may hard to find but you can PM Simon and he may be able to help you out.

I have a lot of work to do on Planet Tenyo, but the +1 Redemption page is pretty well filled in. I think I have the last two to finish.

Right now I am working on a page with all the various logos. Look for that soon. After that a page called Tenyo Magic Made/Sold by Others. This will have all the Milton Bradley Magic Works (Brett should love this), Doug Henning Tenyo (Gaz has been asking for this) and Tenyo Elite. I don't know if things have changed but RK wrote somewhere that MBMW will not be in his book which really surprises me. I am pretty sure that both the J-Numbered boxes and the redemptions from Tenyo came from what MBMW did before them.
jpack-comparison.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Illusion Scale is great and is really in a separate category if you ask me, as they've pretty much been producing it for a while now as a regular trick. In fact it became to popular that there are now tons of cheap imitations being sold and included in cheap magic sets.

Of the others that I have, I think I like the Magical Burger the best. There's something about a burger that is just very relate-able to both adults and kids and I just have a good time performing it. Sure there is some memorization to do but I did not find it really that hard.

The truth is they are really all good little tricks that pack small and it pays to get the ones that are available while you can.

I would have to say my least favorite tricks are Magical Sushi and Charisma. Magical Sushi is too similar to Magical Burger and although the second trick is pretty good, I just don't relate as well to sushi as I do to burgers :)
Charisma uses regular cards which makes it a regular card packet trick. There are plenty of card packet tricks out there that are better than this one.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:16 am

Thanks for all the work on Planet tenyo John - it is becoming more and more the reference for Tenyo collectors :)

My favourite Tenyo special probably is Ghost Puzzle because it is something a lot of people know but 'with a twist' - it's very original. I also like last years Clairvoyance Tester, the cards are gimmicked in such a clever way and the routines are excellent.

I don't like Magical Burger that much but it's mainly because of the memory work. I have never performed Charisma to date.
And ilusion Scale, heck of course, fantastic litle trick :) There's a link to a wonderfull video performance somewhere on this forum but I can't remember where I posted it. It's different from the one John has on Planet tenyo. Ah well, browse a bit through the forum/search for it and you'll find it I'm sure, that's part of the fun right ;)

You should definately buy all if you have the opportunity. I am missing a few of these 'specials', like Telephone Telepathy and Prediction Egg.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:40 pm

There was a video on Youtube a while ago of Japanese magician Mr. Maric (I think) performing Illusion Scale for a live audience on what looked like one of his TV specials. The spectators reaction was amazing. I found it hilarious though that would would actually do a what is basically a free giveaway trick on a stage that big but I guess that speaks for the strength of the trick. I think the video was taken down though.

Wait I think i found it. Looks like someone snuck it back up. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYzycE3Scg4

Shan

Post by Shan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:04 pm

OOOOOOOOO....thanks for the video Elliot!!!!!
i have this trick, but i NEVER played with it, because it didnt look much like a trick to me..
I am going to pull this trick out tonight and play with it now:)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm playing catchup with responses lately.

First off. I watched the video of Sakkaku Scale and the performance to it is amazing--more amazing once you find out that it's a mail-in trick.
I don't know the gimmick behind 'Scale, but I was floored. The performance was well done.

Magical Burger and Magical Sneakers were a surprise from Ebay this week (I had 4 auctions sell that I REALLY did not expect to sell so quickly). Both tricks I need for my hospital sets. But I went after both due to the limited availability for them online. But Sneakers is due to John's recommendation. And I got burger because of everyone's un-recommendation and that I'm not a good listener. Actually, because of my condition, I got it because it needs a lot of memory work and memory work is something I REALLY need to work on.

I will say that Sneakers is fun and REALLY caught me off guard on how easy you can achieve the effect and the mechanics of HOW it works.

Burger took me a couple hours to get 'Happy Burger' down. And I just got Instant Burger down last night. I tried both to the missus and she called 'foul' on Happy Burger saying they were marked cards (I have them all in Ultrapro sleeves, which are then put into Top Loaders).
She was legitimately amazed by Instant Burger. I think the marked cards argument went out the window for this one ;)

But I am amazed by which tricks on Burger are easier and which are the hardest. That's the part that got me the most.

Anyway, happy +1 everybody!
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:54 pm

if you're looking for a good trick to practice your memory skills, my highest recommended tenyo for you is... spreadwave! it's well worth the effort if you can master it and remember the steps. the reactions are great, and it fooled penn and teller!
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:58 pm

The Tenyo Spreadwave is the Japanese version so it would not be good for a non Japanese magician or audience.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 pm

Yep, Spreadwave is a great trick and you definitely need to keep track of what you are doing for the trick to work. But like John said, the Tenyo version is Japanese only.
One Tenyo trick that I think needs some good memory skills is Moons of Jupiter. You need to remember a pretty long series of moves for the routine to work correctly. And of course Magicasl Sushi which has the same type of memorization and Magical Burger but with a little more cards.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 am

Now the Japanese spreadwave really WOULD test your memory ;) spreadwave English version is still available online/eBay etc.
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:05 am

SimonC wrote:Now the Japanese spreadwave really WOULD test your memory ;) spreadwave English version is still available online/eBay etc.
I know a bit of Japanese, hopefully White Impact won't boot me around.

Plus, I may be seeing my high school Japanese teacher next year. So between that and Magical Sushi; instant set.
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:39 pm

I have a question about Magicians Clock, as I have developed a massive interest in it.

I understand that the performance is heavily reliant on time. But is it possible to do the trick (but not reveal), then do an entire routine--say a 9 minute routine, and then show the exact time at the end?
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:41 am

I don't see any reason why you can't do this. You just need to make sure your timing is down and that your 9 minute routine always takes 9 minutes.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:30 am

Elliot W. wrote:I don't see any reason why you can't do this. You just need to make sure your timing is down and that your 9 minute routine always takes 9 minutes.
Indeed, but that would be VERY difficult in my opinion. You only need one audience member who 'delays' your schedule with some questions or remarks and it won't work. You can anticipate of course but it would be quite the challenge!
The shorter your routine the more reliable it is.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:56 am

David DeTenyo wrote:
Elliot W. wrote:I don't see any reason why you can't do this. You just need to make sure your timing is down and that your 9 minute routine always takes 9 minutes.
Indeed, but that would be VERY difficult in my opinion. You only need one audience member who 'delays' your schedule with some questions or remarks and it won't work. You can anticipate of course but it would be quite the challenge!
The shorter your routine the more reliable it is.

While I don't have the trick, nor know who even has one up for grabs (since I haven't ever seen one pop up on Ebay). I'm going off the idea that if you use a spectators watch/phone, get THEIR current time and go one minute ahead PLUS 9 minutes for your routine; you give yourself, at max, a one minute buffer for extra patter. Plus your 59 second window that the reveal will have the correct time.

And I agree, having the routine go longer means more room for error. I'd do the safer thing for practice and do a couple of tricks that I know the 'time parameter' for.

I'm jumping around because it's late.

You start the trick by saying that you need to calibrate your 'watch' (Magician's Clock). You get a spectators watch/phone/sundial and you do the trick SANS the reveal. You do two or three tricks and before you end your set, you ask the spectator the time they have. They give you the time, and then you reveal the exact time you have on the cards. Spectator's minds SHOULD be blown.

At least that's how I see it playing out.
Where's my colon?!