Are you ever that paranoid....?

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Shan

Are you ever that paranoid....?

Post by Shan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Have you ever had thoughts that something might happen to your precious tenyo collection?
Something...anything...
As my collection get bigger and bigger....
I am getting a little paranoid(or maybe it's my age)
I find myself sometimes thinking what to do when my house is on fire,
Or how to safely preserve my tenyo in case of an earthquake,
Or maybe the way I'm putting my tenyo will lure thieves to steal them?
The time when tenyo is always on my mind.
Lol do you guys ever think about things like this?
Afterall, they are our hobbies, collectibles, and what we treasure :oops:

VictorS

Re: Are you ever that paranoid....?

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Shan,

We had a same problem but I learn to let it go whatever it will happen because we never know the future. I know it is difficult but I am trying not to hang my life just for it. For me, there are still many more important things in life that we need to prioritize and hobby should be not the no. one. Remember the beautiful words : Where your treasure is, there your heart is also. It is quite normal feeling for us as human. We can minimize the risk (looking for good insurance for it, locking everything into a safe place, etc) but it will not prevent us loosing all of the "treasure" because there could be unexpected risk that could occur and at the end we can only think positive and continue to enjoy our life (although it hurts and we need to start from zero again).

Vic

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:36 am

Shan,

I think it is possible to include your valuable collectibles of any kind in your house insurance. For that you need to estimate the total value and of course it will result in a higher insurance fee. I think you do not really have to worry about thieves because they do not know that these items are valuable. I think it is quite unlikely that they would be stealing Tenyo items instead of things that they could easily sell to anyone (like electronic devices, money, jewelry etc.)

I agree with Victor, it is a natural thought and a very logical thing to think about that. But if you have insurance in the case of fire or earthquake you might loose your collection but you will get about 80% of their actual value form the insurance company. So you would have to start over building your collection but you would have the funds to buy them again. (And you could do that easily. Maybe it will take time, but I think you could find almost everything you had.) Another way to see this is that an event like that is highly unlikely to happen. And you would have to pay maybe 10% for insurance for years and get nothing back if nothing bad happens.

Botond
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:56 am

I never had a thought about this. The best treasure is a creative mind.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 am

I had a partner once who trashed my entire magic collection, I came home and it was EVERYWHERE. you just have to calmly pick up the first bit, put it back and carry on!
photograph everything you have in their cases and if everything gets nicked/lost/burned you have the tenyo market place and all the info on the forum to show the worth of all your pieces.
My biggest danger at the moment is the mystic Ruby, he has very fiddly fingers and is fascinated by everything but fortunately my magic cabinet has a key :)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:57 am

We only have a cat but luckily she's more interested in food than in magic tricks :) Although sponge balls could be something to play with :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:08 am

I have asked this question to my insurance company. They said they will need invoices, photo's, estimated current values, ... of EVERY magic trick I own. And even then in the unlucky case something would happen a fire, a theft) I would need to put an INCREDIBLE amount of work in submitting a detailed document with my total loss of every trick seperately and the total. And even then the possibility is that the company will see the magic tricks as 'toys' and I would never, ever get the money I invested back, not even 50% of it.
But some insurance companies might be less strict then the one I have. It's better not to think about it, and there are more important things in life as written above :)

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:59 am

I have asked about this and I have found an insurance company in Hungary where you can add any collection or valuables what you store in your home up to 10% of the value of the house without too much paperwork. They basically add that to the value of your house. But of course you need photos and estimated value of every item you would like to insure. I decided not to insure my magic props and books for now.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks Botond - surely such company must exist in Belgium too. I will try insurance companies that insure art first.

Shan

Post by Shan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies;)
Yes tenyo is definitely not my whole life, but I have grown very attached to it.
They are something I don't want to lose.
Wow insurance? I have not thought about it! It does sound like a lot of paper work, and probably all the receipts of purchase to prove the value in it!
I remember someone saying they sold their whole collection after being tired of it and collect it all over again awhile later. I forgot who it was but it sounds like a lot of work to me, especially looking all over ago an for the rare and most expensive one!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:35 am

Shan wrote:Have you ever had thoughts that something might happen to your precious tenyo collection?
Something...anything...
As my collection get bigger and bigger....
I am getting a little paranoid(or maybe it's my age)
I find myself sometimes thinking what to do when my house is on fire,
Or how to safely preserve my tenyo in case of an earthquake,
Or maybe the way I'm putting my tenyo will lure thieves to steal them?
The time when tenyo is always on my mind.
Lol do you guys ever think about things like this?
Afterall, they are our hobbies, collectibles, and what we treasure :oops:

I collected a LOT of die-cast cars for a while. all of varying values. But I never worried about anyone stealing them or anything bad happening.

IF your collection is really worth a lot and you're worried about it. Like the others said, you can go the insurance route.

But magic is such an odd niche anyway that I doubt thieves would go after it.
Where's my colon?!