Two confirmed hints towards the 2016 releases

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Two confirmed hints towards the 2016 releases

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:09 am

Thanks for that interesting information Botond.

I'm just going to wait and see how these new items turn out :)

And I'm not going to read in this thread again untill I have the items in my hands. Some of you guys are too clever and probably already kind of told how the tricks work, and I for one like to be surprised when I open my boxes in a few weeks or months ... ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:03 am

Brett H wrote:Q: Can you use a handkerchief to cover the opening to 'Dog House' instead of the lid?
A: No. You need it to mask noise.
I'm surprised by Seo's demo video in that case. The performer uses his hand, which would not suffice if there is any noise (which I believe there is). See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzggDgkXlNc.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this trick the most. Typical Tenyo mechanism at work!

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 pm

japanmagic did it again!...coming up with some halloween alternate routines for the Tenyo 2016 line:

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:50 am

Cool video, thanks for sharing!
and now, on with the show ...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:50 am

Japanmagic does the Doghouse trick with non-sponge material?! Or perhaps there wasn't any candy in the wraps? Still, I'm confused, which is good :P

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:28 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Japanmagic does the Doghouse trick with non-sponge material?! Or perhaps there wasn't any candy in the wraps? Still, I'm confused, which is good :P
I would say it was really clever. Making a soft object looks hard.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:05 am

VictorS wrote:
David DeTenyo wrote:Japanmagic does the Doghouse trick with non-sponge material?! Or perhaps there wasn't any candy in the wraps? Still, I'm confused, which is good :P
I would say it was really clever. Making a soft object looks hard.
Yes!....you can mix the soft ones with the hard ones....really good idea!
Last edited by Roberto B. on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:43 am

that's what she said
Now you see me...

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Watching the SEO Magic video I realised how versatile Dog House is.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:51 pm

SimonC wrote:that's what she said
I just KNEW you were going to say something like that :lol:

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:04 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:
Brett H wrote:Q: Can you use a handkerchief to cover the opening to 'Dog House' instead of the lid?
A: No. You need it to mask noise.
I'm surprised by Seo's demo video in that case. The performer uses his hand, which would not suffice if there is any noise (which I believe there is). See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzggDgkXlNc.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this trick the most. Typical Tenyo mechanism at work!
Holy mother of dammit!

Dog House has versatility for days! Those videos are amazing and have actually made me want Dog House more than anything else.

I know SEO has all 4 on pre-order, and has a deal in all 4 for $60. Which is amazing if you want all 4.

But the prices are still VERY good for the individual pieces.

I'm not sure if I got used to the price model of 2015. But I find it weird that they have two tricks that are in the expensive end ('Camera & 'Plunger). Dog House is surprisingly cheaper, and Future Puzzle is the 'cheap one'.

I want to get Camera and Dog House. I actually want two Tenyo before I see reviews on them. I am confideny that those two are going to be absolutely fantastic and I want to 'pull the trigger' for pre order. But I'm waiting for them to go on Japan Hobby because they have the cheapest prices around (that and I don't want to pay $30 for Shrinking Pen). Anybody have a WAG on when Japan Hobby usually gets the new stuff in?

I was under the impression that they get released to the public on October 6th. And I have heard November-ish from a couple sources (which would give me the biggest frowny face).
And since you guys are vastly more well versed and 'know the drill'; help a rookie out.
Where's my colon?!

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:53 pm

I knew I had to have Dog House after seeing the very first demo. I preordered several a few weeks back.
I think this is the most "classic" like Tenyo piece to be released in the last five years.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:04 pm

KirkW wrote: I think this is the most "classic" like Tenyo piece to be released in the last five years.
I am in agreeance!

And it's the first mainline trick Teno has done in 16 years (Super Sponge Ball).

And good call in getting multiples! Dog House is going to be the best seller outside of Japan.

Fancy that the 2015 and 2016 tricks that will sell well outside of Japan happen to be animal related.
Where's my colon?!

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:26 am

I don't see why future puzzle isn't being talked about more. It is also very Tenyo-ish to me.

If you used it in combination to the springboard principle (used by Rus Andrews in "AKA" and "Spoken") then you go from looking like a 1 in 12 to a 1 in 52 which makes it even MORE impossible.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:36 am

MadisonPresents wrote:I don't see why future puzzle isn't being talked about more. It is also very Tenyo-ish to me.

If you used it in combination to the springboard principle (used by Rus Andrews in "AKA" and "Spoken") then you go from looking like a 1 in 12 to a 1 in 52 which makes it even MORE impossible.
I believe that a big part of the problem for me is that, yes the effect is amazing, it just doesn't play well for what it does. You have a rather stationary prop with an effect that is best suited for a different environment such as parlour or strolling.

It's more about the inconsistency of the prop vs. it's effect. I believe that it's the same reason why Ghost Card isn't very popular either: great effect for strolling, but can't be transported. You use it in a close-up show and the effect is too small to see.

Theory11 just came out with a trick (Invisible Card) that is very similar to Future Puzzle, but can use all 52 cards AND it fits in the pocket--but you'll be paying $40 more for it.
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:18 am

I just watched the performance of Invisible Card, and while this is of course much more organic, I don't like it. First of, the price. You get one gimmicked card. Second, the whole magicians choice routine can also be done with Tenyo's Puzzle Box if you want to; the trailer is quite the 'ideal' performance by the way ... .
Third, the chosen card can absolutely not be handed to the spectator, and you can't even show it for too long.
Fourth, he is holding/showing the card in a very weird way, but that could be coinsidence.
And last but not least, there's some serious 'fiddling' going on when you open your gimmicked card.
Sure, you can't hand the box of Tenyo's trick either, but the focus will be on the card and that's examinable if I'm correct. And of course there's also some 'fiddling' going on when/before you dump the pieces out of the box.
I'll stick with Tenyo's trick for now. I mean ... you get a PUZZLE BOX! :D (which you most likely need to put together yourself ;) ).
By far not Tenyo's greatest invention ever, but the props, as always, will put a smile on peoples faces for sure. And if they figure it out, well, the principle for laymen is pretty special. Magic should be fun, and for me the goal is not to reveal anything, but if you have someone that figures something out I always congratulate him, and he or she feels smart, and feeling smart is fun, and everyone's happy :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:05 am

I'm really interested in this one too, it looks fun and who doesn't love a good puzzle :)
This is on my radar for a future add-on effect, perhaps a nice wooden box, possibly even wooden pieces? If I can come up with a way to use the supplied pieces in a more pocket-friendly, hopefully wooden box I'll be on it :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:34 am

David DeTenyo wrote:I just watched the performance of Invisible Card, and while this is of course much more organic, I don't like it. First of, the price. You get one gimmicked card. Second, the whole magicians choice routine can also be done with Tenyo's Puzzle Box if you want to; the trailer is quite the 'ideal' performance by the way ... .
Third, the chosen card can absolutely not be handed to the spectator, and you can't even show it for too long.
Fourth, he is holding/showing the card in a very weird way, but that could be coinsidence.
And last but not least, there's some serious 'fiddling' going on when you open your gimmicked card.
Sure, you can't hand the box of Tenyo's trick either, but the focus will be on the card and that's examinable if I'm correct. And of course there's also some 'fiddling' going on when/before you dump the pieces out of the box.
I'll stick with Tenyo's trick for now. I mean ... you get a PUZZLE BOX! :D (which you most likely need to put together yourself ;) ).
By far not Tenyo's greatest invention ever, but the props, as always, will put a smile on peoples faces for sure. And if they figure it out, well, the principle for laymen is pretty special. Magic should be fun, and for me the goal is not to reveal anything, but if you have someone that figures something out I always congratulate him, and he or she feels smart, and feeling smart is fun, and everyone's happy :)
CRAP! I fell for magicians choice?! What a big ball of dammit! All those things you mentioned completely whizzed over my head.

After reading your post, I'm looking too hard at Future Puzzle. All the Tenyo should first, and foremost be viewed as fun. And after looking at it subjectively, it does come across as a social piece and enjoyed with friends.

But I believe I should look at more of where each Tenyo could be applied, as opposed to where they could not.

Definite humbling and 're-centering' moment.
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:38 am

I hear you Brett. I for one don't care if I will use my Tenyo's or not, it's just a no brainer for me to buy them as a collector. Seriously, how many Tenyo tricks do I actually USE? Not a lot at all. But just 'having' those items is part of the fun for me. Some collect thimbles, litle owls, and what not. They stand there doing absolutely nothing in the display cabinet. Same goes for most of my Tenyo's :)

A lot of Tenyo's are just akward to use in most situations, and you told us what you aim for and I I think it's very smart of you to think first IF and HOW and WHERE you could do a certain trick. Puzzle Box is not something you can put in your pocket and perform when someone asks 'to do a magic trick'. It takes a lot of space (mostly air ;) ) and therefore will not be something magicians will use when table hopping or performing for children in a hospital. But perhaps it gets great reactions; from what I've experienced children really like the toyish nature of a lot of our beloved Tenyo thingy wingies, Adults often don't unfortunately, but that could be me and my lack in skills of performing in a good way.

Wait a minute, didn't I say I wasn't going to look and reply in this topic anymore? Ah well! ;)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:12 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:I hear you Brett. I for one don't care if I will use my Tenyo's or not, it's just a no brainer for me to buy them as a collector. Seriously, how many Tenyo tricks do I actually USE? Not a lot at all. But just 'having' those items is part of the fun for me. Some collect thimbles, litle owls, and what not. They stand there doing absolutely nothing in the display cabinet. Same goes for most of my Tenyo's :)
I used to collect the little diecast Hot Wheels cars a while back. I'm so quick to forget that there is a world of difference between the collectors of the diecast cars and Tenyo.
At least with Tenyo, there is incentive with acquiring them, and that's learning the secret that makes them tick. And on top of that, there's not A LOT of Tenyo in the grand scheme of things. With the Hot Wheels, all you can do is go 'YEP! I have it!' and in a box it goes, never to be seen again. And there's tens of THOUSANDS of them There was actually a featured story on the Hot Wheels site of a guy whose fiance had him decide between her or his Hot Wheels collection...he chose his collection. He had an insane amount of Hot Wheels collectibles and paraphernalia.

And it's not exactly Tenyo collectors are sitting at the opening doors of a magic shop every month, waiting for a new batch of Tenyo to get restocked with the sole purpose of selling the limited edition ones at premium prices on Ebay.

Tenyo is A WORLD of DIFFERENCE. Comes out once a year, a few other things throughout the year, much more pleasant crowd, and we all seem to order online so it's not like we're taking them 'out of the hands' of kids who go to the local supermarket ;)

In the case of Tenyo, the fun is in knowing the secret.
David DeTenyo wrote:Wait a minute, didn't I say I wasn't going to look and reply in this topic anymore? Ah well! ;)
I think we're good at drumming up noise. But we (okay, sorry...ME) stopped dissecting the new Tenyo
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:18 am

Brett H wrote: Theory11 just came out with a trick (Invisible Card) that is very similar to Future Puzzle, but can use all 52 cards AND it fits in the pocket...
Not exactly correct Brett but you can perform it as if the spec has a free choice. I still love Inferno by Joshua Jay ;)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 am

I think everyone will love perform Ghost Camera. I love the routine with coins and it looks so clean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lQ3Z0Q93ts

There is also good additional idea to perform additional classic effect card thru hank with the ghost camera hank and also perform with a polaroid camera. Really a great souvenir for the spectator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22_WOtwyqSE

This will be fun ! :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:59 am

That video with the Polaroid is soo cute! Love it!
Now I want to see more magic performed by women! :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:02 am

The Polaroid idea is brilliant! It's simple in execution, and the souvenir idea comes into play very well. It's so simple!

Ghost Camera has got me thinking and looking all over the place for coins to utilize.

In the US, we have the individual 'state quarters'. I found that we also have actual gold state quarters.

The idea would be to have 3 of the same silver quarter, and 1 of the same type of quarter, but in the gold version.
My idea is to utilize the Wisconsin quarters (because they have a cow on the back. To which I refer to as 'the cow quarter'. To which, I play 'heads-or-cow' whenever the twins reach an impass on something. Heads-or-cow brings an exciting element to decisions around here.)

The idea would be very similar to the coin presentation. 'The magician' has their back turned and someone else places the 4 quarters on the table. I place the Ghost Camera on top. And 'the magician' finds the 'golden cow'.
Where's my colon?!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:26 pm

It's SO fun & cool, to look at the new releases. Thank you!
The presentation with the hand puppets is a very nice idea.
and now, on with the show ...