Least Favorite Tenyo

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Jason

Re: Least Favorite Tenyo

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Some of the performers seemed more focused on baffling people like the Clairvoyants who kept saying they have ESP when they're just tricks. I felt that another one went too far in his performance because he used a voodoo doll, and those are satanic. If Tenyo ever put one out, I wouldn't go so far as to ban the company, but I definitely wouldn't get it even if someone offered it to me for free. With Cloud Money, I'd just try to sing that song parody I wrote.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:05 am

Jason wrote:Some of the performers seemed more focused on baffling people like the Clairvoyants who kept saying they have ESP when they're just tricks. I felt that another one went too far in his performance because he used a voodoo doll, and those are satanic. If Tenyo ever put one out, I wouldn't go so far as to ban the company, but I definitely wouldn't get it even if someone offered it to me for free. With Cloud Money, I'd just try to sing that song parody I wrote.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Voodoo dolls are hardly satanic. They have been used in various cultures all over the place. But have been popularized and devoted as something from Louisiana Voodoo. I know one of their intents were to harm witches with the intent to break a hex or bewitchment created by said witch.

If voodoo isn't your thing, then I'd stay away from thealternate handing to Magic Butterfly
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:49 am

For something that's not satanic, it seems highly unlikely that God would hurt innocent people just to entertain an audience. Mel B may not be the most moral person in the world since she's been known to have a bathroom mouth, but I highly doubt He would go that far in her first life. If the old testament is any indication, you'd have to be doing something pretty drastic to earn His wrath like trying to steal the Ark of the Covenants or making slaves out of people when God wants them to go somewhere. Magic Butterfly does baffle me, but I'm sure it's just an illusion, and may get it eventually if it's not too expensive.
God bless, Jason Ireland

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:52 am

I got the wrong thing ony mobile phone and didn't backspace over the d that's not in my name. As anyone who knows me well enough, I can be overly sensitive about that.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:30 am

:D
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Jason wrote:For something that's not satanic, it seems highly unlikely that God would hurt innocent people just to entertain an audience. Mel B may not be the most moral person in the world since she's been known to have a bathroom mouth, but I highly doubt He would go that far in her first life. If the old testament is any indication, you'd have to be doing something pretty drastic to earn His wrath like trying to steal the Ark of the Covenants or making slaves out of people when God wants them to go somewhere. Magic Butterfly does baffle me, but I'm sure it's just an illusion, and may get it eventually if it's not too expensive.
God bless, Jason Ireland
In contest of the AGT performance (just to isolate it); I, personally, don't think it has to do with religion and gods will and past transgressions. I think it has to do more with that she was never in any real danger at all during the performance.

If there was any chance of real danger, especially to one of the judges, they wouldn't have allowed the act to go forward.

Just the illusion of something shocking happening.
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:13 pm

If voodoo dolls are satanic, then what is? There are a number of celebrities I don't like, but I'm not going to resort to voodoo hexes to get my way. I don't like democratic politicians, but I'm not going to get some voodoo doll and put a politician in pain when he or she is having a debate with a Republican candidate just to make it difficult for the Democrat to answer questions by sticking pins in key places.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Jason wrote:If voodoo dolls are satanic, then what is?

I'm not well versed to determine what is and isn't 'satanic'.

But here's a resource for Voodoo dolls: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_doll
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:35 pm

I'll let the subject drop on voodoo dolls, but I've had people get scared over magic I've done. I remember scaring people with Lethal Tender, and we know it's just an illusion and that the coins aren't really trading places. The only reason I don't prove to them that it's just an illusion by revealing the secret is because they're never willing to pay what I had to pay from the trick. Steve was nice enough to give me Animal Hunter and that trick where someone thinks of a number between one and 60 and you show the person several cards and tell him to tell you which cards have their number on them and then tell them what number they thought of. I did Animal Hunter for a maintenance guy yesterday, and I used the patter of attempting to get into his mind because that's what he said my two roommates were doing, and he wanted to know how I did it so bad, but I wouldn't tell because he wasn't offering any money for the stamps I bought. I should've told him the name of the trick so he could've seen about buying it from a dealer or something, but I didn't think of it.
God bless, Jason Irelan

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Jason wrote:...The only reason I don't prove to them that it's just an illusion by revealing the secret is because they're never willing to pay what I had to pay from the trick. - ... and he wanted to know how I did it so bad, but I wouldn't tell because he wasn't offering any money for the stamps I bought. I should've told him the name of the trick so he could've seen about buying it from a dealer or something, but I didn't think of it.
God bless, Jason Irelan
(The statements below were taken from magictrickswithoutborders.com)

The Magician’s Oath:
“The secret of an Illusion should never be revealed – unless to a student of magic who also takes this Oath.”

It is commonly known among magicians that the outcome of sharing a secret of magic with a non-magician is usually disappointment.

Once a secret is revealed, the fire of amazement in the eyes of your audience will quickly burn out.

Embracing The Magician’s Oath empowers you to serve people as the best magician you can be, and supports the work of other magicians as well.

Breaking The Magician’s Oath weakens your own effectiveness as a magician and hurts magicians of good will everywhere.

If someone asks you, “How did you do that?” you are not permitted, by tradition, to reveal the secret.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:49 pm

I like the way you say I'm not permitted to reveal the secret when asked how I do a trick when asked how. If someone wants to become a magician, it does take work.
God bless, Jason Irelan

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:03 am

Kirk sums it up nicely there.

Also, people shouldn't pay you for secrets, if they like a trick, show them where to buy it them-self. The money should go to the creator or at least the person trying to make a living from running a magic shop.
If you want to earn money from magic, get people to pay to to perform it. Selling secrets to laymen who just want to scratch the itch of how it's done is not appropriate. Consider this too.,. If someone is willing to pay you to find out how a trick is done (not how to perform it, just the secret) then they are likely to tell other people too, just to seem smart. So in your case, for the cost of a few stamps, that effect is spoilt for any number of people.

If you want to know how a trick is done but have no intention of performing it, and would happily accept money to disclose the secret, then you aren't a magician. The fundamental rule of magic is never to tell your spectator how it's done.
If you have a lot of time on your hands where you are, learn some of the amazing FREE tricks available on YouTube, get really good at them and put on small shows. Either ask people to pay you to watch or put a hat out at the end. Develop your confidence and skill and it will grow from there.
Now you see me...

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:00 am

I can think of one example of a world famous magician who exposed secrets to a non magician, and I'm not talking about the masked magician. I'm talking about Copperfield who revealed all his secrets to Claudia Schiffer when they were dating. I personally don't believe in just giving away secrets. If a person wants to know bad enough, they can either buy them from a dealer or go on YouTube like you suggested. Now for the sake of a dating relationship, I can understand because I wouldn't put it past a girl to dump a guy if he refuses to give her the secret.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Jason wrote:I can think of one example of a world famous magician who exposed secrets to a non magician, and I'm not talking about the masked magician. I'm talking about Copperfield who revealed all his secrets to Claudia Schiffer when they were dating. I personally don't believe in just giving away secrets. If a person wants to know bad enough, they can either buy them from a dealer or go on YouTube like you suggested. Now for the sake of a dating relationship, I can understand because I wouldn't put it past a girl to dump a guy if he refuses to give her the secret.
God bless, Jason Irelan
Schiffer assisted Copperfield on occasion, and would kind of have to know whats going on to properly assist
Where's my colon?!

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Sooo back on subject here.....I mentioned magicians finger...how about ...funnel vision???

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:06 pm

magicjeff wrote:Sooo back on subject here.....I mentioned magicians finger...how about ...funnel vision???
Yes! Absolutely!

I don't have either trick, but Funnel Vision is apparently doesn't work 100% of the time. It is a neat concept though!
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:27 pm

I imagine if I opened up a magic store, I could sell secrets; but that would require a lot of money just to start the business. I get disappointed with most of the large illusions that cost thousands of dollars because most of them require assistants who pretty much do the work for the magician like flying or passing through the Great Wall of China; but every once in a while I'll see a big one that doesn't require any help like when a magician shrinks himself or when Andre Kole did that one where he made it look like he was turning completely around while his feet stay in the same position. I could make that last one for less than $200, but it would cost me more money to get permission from Andre to do it.

Back to the subject, I didn't think China Surprise was a bad trick if that's the one where a ball goes into a different area than it's supposed to because you can hand it out for examination when you're done.
God bless, Jason Irelan

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Hey everyone! This page has been quiet for a bit, so I thought i`d add a little bit here. I actually have a magicians finger coming in the mail soon....I mentioned how I was not impressed, but i got it cheap for collection reasons, but I will play around with it and make a valid review. I guess I may have judged it too early, but from the videos I have seen....meh, but it seems like there are a few routines out there that could make it better. But yes, china surprise, cloud money, and flying carpet just sit in my case...hah. Also some newer stuff...psycho gravity did not sit well with me.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:51 am

magicjeff wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:22 pm
...psycho gravity did not sit well with me.
Is it because Psycho Gravity doesn't sit and does more of an odd wobble-walk instead?
Where's my colon?!

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:31 am

YUP and unreliable

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:40 am

What were they thinking with this one?

Ever wonder what happens to that stuff if you leave your package sealed? I am thinking it will eventually become dried up and useless and need to be replaced.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Isn`t it like honey or glycerin? something slow moving

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:18 am

magicjeff wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:19 pm
Isn`t it like honey or glycerin? something slow moving
I think so but I would never need to replace that stuff because I don’t think I will ever perform that trick.

The Koornwinder Kar is so much better at doing that kind of thing IMHO.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:26 pm

agreed!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:19 am

That reminds me, I need to put Koornwinder Kar on my list
Where's my colon?!