Undercover Cube. Yeah, I know.

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

Undercover Cube. Yeah, I know.

Post by Brett H » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:48 pm

I have my sights set on Undercover Cube. I'm working out a plan to be able to buy one this month. But I want to make sure that I'm not making a purchase I'm going to regret. So I need your help--yet again.

I know in the UC demo in YouTube, there is the oh so underwhelming effect being performed. Can UC be done WITHOUT a cup?
I ask because I am led to understand that there is a 'gimmick' that comes into play, and I can't figure out what that gimmick might be. And I'm not even going to bother trying to dissect it looking at my track record of Trying to figure things out. Basically, I 'throw the dart and end up hitting the waitress. I want to see if there is a possible way of being able to use the props provided without having to provide anything else except a handkerchief

The ideal goal is to perform it without a cup in order to save space in the magic box. I know Tenyo-ism will more than likely have alternate routines for 'Cube, but I want to make sure I want to actually USE 'Cube, as that's one of the big factors I have in determining if I get Tenyoism. Anyway, I'm rambling.

So. You UC owners. Can you help a brother out?
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Re: Undercover Cube. Yeah, I know.

Post by Elliot W. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:12 pm

There are some routines for this on the Tenyoworld site a couple of which do not use a mug. Maybe one of those will suit your needs. Although I think once you read them you will have a pretty good idea of what the gimmick is.
http://www.tenyoworld.co.uk/tipsandroutines.htm#t200

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:33 am

You can always use a plastic cup they use in hospitals, no? As far as the trick goes, with a nice presentation this could go well, as with most magic tricks of course.

On April 28th, 4 years ago, Dragonash wrote this interesting piece of information on TMC:
For Undercover Cube, Petrick (of "and Mia") developed the routine. According to him the one Tenyo printed is an off-the-cuff one he proposed with a polished routine to follow. When he came up with the final routine, they had already printed the preliminary one. He sells the finished routine (which is a wonder) but only supplies it if purchasing the effect from him.
Hopefully this original routine will be in Tenyoism, so I'm waiting for Richard to come in and say we'll be able to find it in his book :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:59 pm

Elliot W. wrote:There are some routines for this on the Tenyoworld site a couple of which do not use a mug. Maybe one of those will suit your needs. Although I think once you read them you will have a pretty good idea of what the gimmick is.
http://www.tenyoworld.co.uk/tipsandroutines.htm#t200
Thank you very much! That gives me a much better feeling that there is a a bit of versatility with the darn thing. STILL don't make what the gimmick is. I have one idea, but I don't think I have it right.
David DeTenyo wrote:You can always use a plastic cup they use in hospitals, no? As far as the trick goes, with a nice presentation this could go well, as with most magic tricks of course.

On April 28th, 4 years ago, Dragonash wrote this interesting piece of information on TMC:
For Undercover Cube, Petrick (of "and Mia") developed the routine. According to him the one Tenyo printed is an off-the-cuff one he proposed with a polished routine to follow. When he came up with the final routine, they had already printed the preliminary one. He sells the finished routine (which is a wonder) but only supplies it if purchasing the effect from him.
Hopefully this original routine will be in Tenyoism, so I'm waiting for Richard to come in and say we'll be able to find it in his book :)
I could use a plastic cup, but I'd much rather have as much control over as much as I can, especially if a routine can be done without it.

I would find it REALLY odd if the Petrick and Mia routine DIDN'T get thrown in Tenyoism. Out of the 'over one hundred' routines in Tenyoism. I can see UC getting around 4-6 alt routines.

It's weird, there's a lot of potential, but the effect (for the audience) seems weak because its more for the participant acting as the magician than anything else. It has this sort of 'Blue Crystal' sort of vibe to it. Where only around 1 or 2 people are going to be amazed at what's going on, and everyone else isn't going to 'get it'
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Holy hell! I think I just figured out Undercover Cube!

I scared the missus because I yelled it out in the car picking up he kids today, 'it's a freakin' c**** **b*! It makes sense now!'

Now I have to get it, just to see if I have broken my bad 'gimmick guessing streak' (last time I to guessing anything of Lubor's). As well as be underwhelmed.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 pm

you nailed it mate, it's a colon tuba. kudos :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:58 pm

SimonC wrote:you nailed it mate, it's a colon tuba. kudos :)
Yes! I knew a gimmick had to be hidden somewhere!
Where's my colon?!

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:50 pm

Well, after reading criticisms about the trick (that even laymen could figure out the trick), I am pretty sure I know how it works. Maybe that is the reason I gave up buying it when I had the opportunity.

Brett, I know that you have been wanting Undercover Cube for a while. I will wait for your review before I buy it (or not!)!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:22 pm

heres the thing. If I could figure it out a Tenyo before I get it, there is either: an issue, or I'm actually getting okay at guessing gimmicks (finally).

It's not BAD. It's just that the initial routine in the instructions are rather flat. And that gives the trick less appeal. I believe that you can don3 types of effects with it: penetration (using a cup), vanish, and color change.

I would say that you REALLY need to go beyond the instructions with it, especially your presentation. I believe that freezer-cubes (plastic cubes you keep in the freezer to use for drinks instead of actual ice cubes) are the same size as the orange cube, so that might be an organic way of introducing the cubes.

If you have played Portal 1 and/or Portal 2, you could make a Companion Cube. Or make a routine with 'portals'.

There's a lot you can do with it, but it's a HEAVY performance piece. DO NOT pursue it unless you have an idea of what the gimmick is and you have an idea of how to use it that IS NOT the stock instructional routine.
Last edited by Brett H on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's my colon?!

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:47 pm

That is good advice!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:07 pm

AlexBrazil wrote:That is good advice!
I've been writing rather lengthy Tenyo reviews for another site and I have half of the Undercover Cube review done, but this was under the assumption of what I thought the gimmick was. But I was right, so that half still stands.

I'm glad I was able to help. Are you still thinking about getting it?

If you are, I will say that because of Tenyoism, it's spiking in price. Especially since it doesn't pop up on trade lists or on EBay. So if you are thinking about it, stock up on a small 'fund' and wait until one comes up. There have been two that popped up recently, but were quickly snatched up for ridiculous prices (one of them, no thanks to me).

But they typically will go over $40 easy. I think Tenyoism revealing it's alternate routines will cause the price to spike as I believe it will have Petrick & Mia's routine that they actually wanted Tenyo to print before Tenyo pulled the trigger too soon and went with the 'off the cuff' routine.

But yeah, there you have it!
Where's my colon?!