Tenyo you wish you didn't open

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

Tenyo you wish you didn't open

Post by Brett H » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:41 pm

I like to get some discussion going. And I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy or a Cynical Sid. But I think we have all opened some Tenyo that which we later have regretted and wish we either left in the box, or didn't get altogether. So I am curious as to what Tenyo that might be for you.

I'll start: I wish I didn't open--or even get 'Hanky Penetration'. Don't get me wrong, the trick is amazing, but when I learned how it works, the fragility made me completely afraid to work on. I wish I left it in the package. At least, I'm afraid to work on it untiI I have a second set on hand. :lol:
Where's my colon?!

gazpratley
Charter Member

Re: Tenyo you wish you didn't open

Post by gazpratley » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:50 pm

For me it would be space towers, I opened it very carefully to have it out and play with it,then a couple o months later the trick came up for sale on ebay uk loose, it was not listed as tenyo so I got it cheap,so had I have been able to look into the future I would never have opened my sealed copy. darn it :roll:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:31 pm

good question! I'm happy to have opened all of mine but there's a few where I was choosing between two and was disappointed with the one I went for. I liked the gimmick on hanky penetration but never use it, koornwinder car I've never clicked with, I need to spend some quality time with it. magic memo pad never works consistently for me and so I don't perform it. on the flip-flop I rarely perform impossible pen as it misfires a lot, but I just love it for its cleverness. I perform it solo in the magic cabinet. I've come up with a good story for it but there just seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will/won't work!
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:16 pm

SimonC wrote:good question! I'm happy to have opened all of mine but there's a few where I was choosing between two and was disappointed with the one I went for. I liked the gimmick on hanky penetration but never use it, koornwinder car I've never clicked with, I need to spend some quality time with it. magic memo pad never works consistently for me and so I don't perform it. on the flip-flop I rarely perform impossible pen as it misfires a lot, but I just love it for its cleverness. I perform it solo in the magic cabinet. I've come up with a good story for it but there just seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will/won't work!
I haven't got 'the Kar'. Was thinking about it, but it's not something you can do 'in your hands'. I'm starting to shy away from tricks that I have to 'revolve around' instead of ones that I can be mobile with.

I'm a bit surprised about Memo Pad for you. I'll have to take that to PM.

I feel the same way with 'Impossible Pen'. I opened it thinking, 'It's Lubor! What can go wrong?' The misfiring, oh yeah. I've practiced the handkerchief version ONLY (the regular handling uses too many props. Too much that can go wrong, I think). And I also agree, it has a mind of at own when it wants to work. So now I just have it sitting in the drawer waiting to be traded or something.
Where's my colon?!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:12 am

Weird, I have been playing with Impossible Pen for the last few days (off, and on)

Mine seems to "hang" - anyone who has this knows exactly what I am talking about.

I did find that it is imperative to have the entire unit on a LEVEL surface.

I would be very hesitant to preform this until I find a sure-fire method of presentation.

I "play" with it to remind me of how "outside of the box" thinking motivates me.
and now, on with the show ...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:06 am

BluBob wrote:Weird, I have been playing with Impossible Pen for the last few days (off, and on)

Mine seems to "hang" - anyone who has this knows exactly what I am talking about.

I would be very hesitant to preform this until I find a sure-fire method of presentation.

I "play" with it to remind me of how "outside of the box" thinking motivates me.
Bob,

sometimes I have similar problem as you do and every time I have problem with Tenyo, I try to read again the instruction. There are some tips on handling that we sometimes miss, similar to what happened to me with my broken Wonder Window. What I can find is below note and hopefully it will not expose the secret. You can find it in the instruction on the 2nd page. As my conclusion after reading this, it is about feeling and practicing I believe, in order to execute it in the right way. There are some area that cannot be explained where the feeling come in place. Well there was also a card trick named "The Trick That Cannot Be Explained" by Vernon. :D :D

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Vic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:19 am

Brett H wrote: I'll start: I wish I didn't open--or even get 'Hanky Penetration'. Don't get me wrong, the trick is amazing, but when I learned how it works, the fragility made me completely afraid to work on. I wish I left it in the package. At least, I'm afraid to work on it untiI I have a second set on hand. :lol:
I don`t have Hanky Penetration but I knew how it worked. So I`m familiar with the scary 'click clack" sound. What I`m thinking at the moment is to replace the HP gimmick with something more natural or organic like beer mats. I believe the beer mats can be modified easily to become HP gimmick but maybe need extra handling or switch the gimmick with the normal beer mat to convince the spec. Well, it`s just an idea popping in my mind. Sure someone here will come with better idea or development. :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:36 am

SimonC wrote:.... koornwinder car I've never clicked with, I need to spend some quality time with it.
Simon,

during the performance, i always setup in kar in the "get ready" position. I know the car will brake in the certain position and therefore we need to control it. But the tricky part what I did, in the "get ready" position, I only use the front wheels to show the car runs normally. I lift up the "butt" of the car few millimeters above the surface and it still create an illusion as a normal toy car. Once I`m ready to reveal the card then I execute the "dirty" move. At the end of the trick, I just "click" it back into the normal position for further examination. I eliminate my worries on the handling by doing this. What do you think ? :)

Vic

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:19 am

BluBob wrote:Weird, I have been playing with Impossible Pen for the last few days (off, and on)

What's helped me is to give the case a purposeful 'spanking'.

It does the job, but noticeable as hell. Still trying to work out the kinks, so to speak.

I've never been one for subtlety.
Where's my colon?!