Help needed

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Jason

Help needed

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:28 pm

I got Card Surgery and 4 Dimensional Trunk in the mail, but the instructions are in Japanese. I need someone to give me English instructions please.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Jason

Re: Help needed

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Never mind,. It looks like I got English instructions. If I can master Card Surgery and someone asks me how I did it, I'm going to be a wise guy and hand out the Japanese instructions since I don't know anyone who knows Japanese.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 pm

Jason...let's not forget that the Japanese instructions contain the detailed illustrations which gives the trick away.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 pm

The illustrations aren't that obvious to me, and I thought it would give me a good excuse to ditch the gimmick so I can show my hand empty. I wouldn't do that with 4-Dimensional Trunk.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Steve S. wrote:Jason...let's not forget that the Japanese instructions contain the detailed illustrations which gives the trick away.

Agreed, I'd say about 90% of Tenyo Japanese instructions can be figured out by illustrations alone if you put a little time and elbow grease into it.
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:05 pm

I won't plan to hand out the Japanese instructions because I don't want to risk quenching any fires and disappointing anyone I do it for, but I definitely give the trick a thumbs up and don't consider the setup a hassle. How many tricks has Lubor Fiedler invented? The only one of his tricks I don't like is Flying Carpet, but I'd say Card Surgery is his best one. There's only one thing I can't do with this trick that Copperfield did with the baseball card trick.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 pm

Jason wrote:How many tricks has Lubor Fiedler invented? The only one of his tricks I don't like is Flying Carpet, but I'd say Card Surgery is his best one. There's only one thing I can't do with this trick that Copperfield did with the baseball card trick.
God bless, Jason Irelan

- Parabox
- Invisible Zone
- Krazy Keys
- Impossible Pen
- Phantom Clock
- Blue Crystal
- 4D Surprise
- The Third Eye
- Flying Carpet
- Card Surgery
- Ghost Card
- Security Lock

Those are all of Lubor's Tenyo. Be warned that, at least in the realm of Tenyo, all of Lubor's tricks are sort of on the 'intermediate range'. They all have some knack to them that makes them tricky for actual performance.

Really good stuff, but tricky.

Arguably, Ghost Card is seen as his weakest Tenyo.
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:14 pm

I know Invisible Zone is one of his easiest tricks to do. You'd have to be blind and have no limbs to perform that one because there's really no practice required. Blue Crystal isn't too bad, and neither is Anti-gravity Rock.

I watched Penn and Teller Fool Us for the first time tonight. I figured it was about good magicians trying to fool them and win something. The only one that made it was the first one. I was able to guess how that couple did some of that mental magic because I googled the Clairvoyants but not all that it.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:19 am

Jason wrote:I know Invisible Zone is one of his easiest tricks to do. You'd have to be blind and have no limbs to perform that one because there's really no practice required. Blue Crystal isn't too bad, and neither is Anti-gravity Rock.

I watched Penn and Teller Fool Us for the first time tonight. I figured it was about good magicians trying to fool them and win something. The only one that made it was the first one. I was able to guess how that couple did some of that mental magic because I googled the Clairvoyants but not all that it.
God bless, Jason Irelan
The above 3 Lubor's tricks have some element to them that you have to be mindful of while performing them.

Security Lovk is also an easy one, but it has elements tonit that make it a bit tough to perform.
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 am

I wonder if he'll put out any more. He's my favorite one. I don't suppose Tenyo has put out any tricks where magic seems to happen in a spectator's hands like Sterling Lethal Tender, have they?
God bless, Jason Irelan

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 am

Jason comments got me to thinking ...

I think it would be cool & hilarious to hand out part of a real Japanese newspaper and tell the spectators that those are the instructions to the trick! ~ :lol: ~
and now, on with the show ...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 am

Jason wrote:I wonder if he'll put out any more. He's my favorite one. I don't suppose Tenyo has put out any tricks where magic seems to happen in a spectator's hands like Sterling Lethal Tender, have they?
God bless, Jason Irelan
He died in...October 2015 I believe.

As for stuff that can happen in their hands:

Burglar Ball
Undercover Cube
Magic Maze
Shrinking Pen
Ghost Camera
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 am

That's too bad that he passed away, but may he rest in peace. Did he pass away on October 31 like Houdini did?

I suppose I could hand out the Tenyo pamphlet to a spectator. I did promise one girl that I would let her see the instructions; and if she holds me to that, I will.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Jason wrote:That's too bad that he passed away, but may he rest in peace. Did he pass away on October 31 like Houdini did?

I think he died in early September of 2014, actually.
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 pm

If I blotted out the illustrations on the Japanese instructions, I definitely could hand out the instructions.
God bless, Jason Irelan

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:33 am

Lubor Tribute.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:22 am

What's the one in the lower left hand corner? It's in Japanese, so I can't read it. Did he have any kids that inherited his magical genius and are collaborating with Tenyo? I'm not saying the tricks that weren't put out by him were bad because there are a lot of good ones he didn't create that are good like Illusionarium. The beauty of that last one is that there's no setup. You just have to be careful about angles. Who owns Tenyo? Is it on the stock market? If so, would I be entitled to free illusions if I bought enough shares? If I became a big enough stock holder, you can bet that the good ones that have been discontinued would go back in magic stores. I imagine he's turning in his grave since 4D Surprise was discontinued.
God bless, Jason Scott Irelan

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Nice photo montage, John!!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:59 pm

I would think that the trick in the lower left is the Tenyo Flying Carpet from 2012. (w 3D Glasses)
and now, on with the show ...

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:17 pm

I did a Google search for Luber's Ashtray, and the first thing that came up looked like a bigger version of Parabox except it didn't produce any balls. It also has a price tag that's ten times as high as Parabox. Why did he put the same trick out twice when the bigger one doesn't do as much? Parabox could also fit in with in the Doctor Who patter; but unless I happen to visit a magic shop that's having a clearance sale on tricks, I'll just stick with 4-Dimensional Trunk. I thought the truck one looks pretty good even though it uses what looks like a kid's toy.

I did a Google search to see if Tenyo was on the stock market; but unfortunately, I didn't find anything that indicated it was. I did find out who owns it though. It's name after the founder who was a magician, and that's his last name. I guess his son is the guy who owns it now. His dad had some Japanese name that I didn't bother to memorize because of its length.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:59 pm

I noticed on the pamphlet I got with one of the last two Tenyo tricks I bought that there was a kit that looks like it has 120 tricks. It looks like the price tag is 3,990 something in Japanese currency. It could be yen for all I know, but how much is that kit in U.S. currency?

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Jason wrote:I did a Google search for Luber's Ashtray, and the first thing that came up looked like a bigger version of Parabox except it didn't produce any balls. It also has a price tag that's ten times as high as Parabox. Why did he put the same trick out twice when the bigger one doesn't do as much? Parabox could also fit in with in the Doctor Who patter; but unless I happen to visit a magic shop that's having a clearance sale on tricks, I'll just stick with 4-Dimensional Trunk. I thought the truck one looks pretty good even though it uses what looks like a kid's toy.
Lubor's Ashtray

Parabox usually goes for $110-$150.

I've seen two Lubor's Ashtray on EBay since I started Tenyo in 2014 and I think they went for $210 and $180
Jason wrote:I noticed on the pamphlet I got with one of the last two Tenyo tricks I bought that there was a kit that looks like it has 120 tricks. It looks like the price tag is 3,990 something in Japanese currency. It could be yen for all I know, but how much is that kit in U.S. currency?
100 Yen is about $1. So you're looking at about $40
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 am

That's not too bad of a price for 120 magic tricks if they're all Tenyo. Illusion Truck does look like a good trick even though it looks like a kid's toy, but I may have got it mixed up with that one that has a little toy car. What's that one, and what does it do? Also, how can I buy that kit? Is there anyone here that sells it? I hope the kit comes with English instructions.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:41 pm

The kit I'm wanting has the words Magic World on it. I see a Moon Spinner and a Krazy Keys with it. I know how Moon Spinner works because I used to have one. The pamphlet is a 2013 pamphlet the. There's a picture of some guy doing the trick of coughing up playing cards on the front along with four other tricks.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:58 pm

If someone helps me out by selling me that kit with English instructions, I'll share a tip that's not covered in the directions for Card Surgery that'll make it easier to do. I noticed I was having a harder time doing it with each performance, and I finally figured out why. I gotta be careful who I share it with so I don't give away the secret to someone who hasn't bought it.