2018 tenyo

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Richard Kaufman

Re: 2018 tenyo

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 pm

I have all four new items in my hands as of today.

Was able to do Bento Box immediately for my wife and daughter and they both liked it. The stickers for this look a lot better in person. I was wondering how Tenyo expected people in the west to know the exact names of the items, however the title of each item ("Salmon," for example" is printed on the sticker).

Demonstrated Starlight for my wife, who could not have cared less. It was just a pretty mechanical picture to her. Have to find a fresh victim.

The Blindfold is great. I had been told how it worked, but actually handling and using it was fun. No moving parts. Some audience management is required.

Fortune Sticks is old news (but still a great trick) and the symbols on these really look much larger than the original.

I hear that the two tricks yet to come are good and very good.

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks Richard!
Richard Kaufman wrote:...No moving parts. Some audience management is required.
It's a good news, this was the first idea that comes to my mind and I thought it was not so good.

Otherwise, we can see the first pre-order on ebay. The month of November will soon come :D
Last edited by HerveM on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Count me "jealous!" Looking forward to getting my hands on these.

I love that you shared your initial thoughts. The anticipation each year is a big part of what makes Tenyo so special to me.

Thanks, Richard!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:00 am

Thanks for the reviews Richard.

This may very well be the first year I won't buy every trick. The Blindfold and Starlight just don't appeal to me. I might buy the Blindfold just to know how it works though :D
Bento Box is another mentalism item, but I think it's cool to have and perform. Perhaps it's possible to use for other routines when the stickers are replaced? That way it could become a nice utility item in a longer routine with more effects.
I already own Fortune Sticks so no need for another version.

The trick I'm most interested in is the finger chopper which isn't released yet - reminds me of the good old mechanical stuff Tenyo used to make :)

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:31 pm

The next item is not a finger chopper: a rolled bill is used.

There are sellers from Japan selling all four items on eBay right now at low prices (all below $20 each).

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:49 pm

I am very disappointed with the direction Tenyo is going.

I may not get this years tricks at all which is saying a lot.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:56 pm

John, you will want to get the Bento Box, and probably the dollar guillotine. The blindfold is very good, too. I have no idea what the dowsing rod trick will be like.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:15 pm

Does anyone have a picture of what the Guillotine looks like?

Since the Sushi in Bento Box is being made by applying stickers, maybe some other stickers can be used in place of sushi.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Here's the Guillotine. Looks kinda nice!

I expect that to be the only 2018 Tenyo item I will really like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 pm

JohnM wrote: Since the Sushi in Bento Box is being made by applying stickers, maybe some other stickers can be used in place of sushi.
Of course John, Yasou already made some variations on it. I have a problem to open his blog, but he already posted something about the toy fair this year and Tenyo 2018 products.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Looks like the original prototype for the Bento did not use stickers. Looks much nicer that way but I guess they wanted to cut costs in the end.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Elliot W. wrote:Looks like the original prototype for the Bento did not use stickers. Looks much nicer that way but I guess they wanted to cut costs in the end.
I thought it was artificial food too (like china surpise) :( That would be awesome.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:36 am

Excellent news if the stickers on the Bento Box thingies can be replaced/modified. I don't know what principle the trick uses, but perhaps we can even put 3D objects in the thingies :?: ... .

Ah and indeed, it's not a finger chopper - thanks for clarifying that Richard :D

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:11 am

Though the "Smart Guillotine" does use a dollar bill, according to the description on the jpmagic blog, you can have the spectator insert their finger after demonstrating with the dollar bill.
I used Google Translate for the description.
http://jpmagic.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-1836.html?sp

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:52 pm

I've got my eye on bento box, once I've had a chance to handle it I'll start thinking of a new theme for it. Right now to me it looks like a treasure chest but that's because im a pirate at heart ;) maybe an Egyptian tomb, with the Different jars they kept all the body bits in ;)
Now you see me...

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm

I took a very close look at the Mental Bento box on the YouTube video and saw something in the design that I believe gave away the method. Hopefully spectators won't find it as peculiar as I did.
I find Mental Bento to be very similar to Psy Chip by Tricks Co, Ltd.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 pm

I've done the Bento box on a bunch of people and no one has paid any attention to the border on the box. That's not how laymen think.

If you want to take photos of something else and use them instead of the items in the bento box, you have to make sure that the items can be shown actual size or nearly so. The bento box is smaller than a real bento box, and the photos of the items show them slightly smaller than the real thing. For instance, I think it would be odd to have photos of different kinds of cookies because they would have to be too small. Only Animal Crackers might work. Photos of different types of small hard candies might work. Lifesavers, Valentine hearts, Smarties, gumballs, and so on.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:34 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:John, you will want to get the Bento Box, and probably the dollar guillotine. The blindfold is very good, too. I have no idea what the dowsing rod trick will be like.
=================================================================================

DOWSING ROD DESCRIPTION

Miracle dowsing rod
The audience can put coins in one of the four black envelopes so that the magician does not know. The magician will take out two L-shaped metal rods (dowsing rod) and explain that this is a tool to find underground water veins and veins. Since it is doubtful if you hold it with your hand, insert the end into the case and move it on the envelope without touching it directly. suddenly! The dowsing rod reacts and moves. Of course, there is a coin in the envelope of that place.
Invention: Kenichi Komiya
and now, on with the show ...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:41 am

SMART GUILLOTINE DESCRIPTION

Smart Guillotine

There is a black guillotine blade in a transparent case. Roll the bill and put it in the circular hole at the bottom. If you slowly lower the blade, it penetrates around the neck of the person in the bill! Although it looks like it looks completely cut from anywhere, it is not cut even if you pull out the bill by raising the blade. Then the blades penetrate in the same way as you put your finger in the audience, but of course it is intact.
Invention: Takayuki Kumazawa
and now, on with the show ...

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:04 pm

does anyone have a relase date in the USA for the new line?...i know its soon but...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:42 pm

The first 4 should be available in the US the first or second week of November. The 2 which have been delayed should be available sometime in December from what I heard.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Yasuo Amano

Post by Yasuo Amano » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:54 am

Release date : December 11

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 am

Wonderfull 8-)

Thanks a lot Amano!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 am

Yasuo Amano wrote:Release date : December 11

Cool...thanks Amano. The guillotine looks great !

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am

The Guillotine will probably be my only Tenyo purchase this year. I'm on the fence with Bento box.
3D Magic Works has been satisfying my craving for cleaver mini illusions. ;)