2018 tenyo

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
VictorS

Re: 2018 tenyo

Post by VictorS » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:37 am

Nice pictures Yasuo san. I placed my order too for both. How about the Miracle Dowsing Rods trick? Is it good? Can it be handed out for examination?

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:30 pm

I've been billed for Smart Guillotine and it should ship tomorrow! Looks like it's now available, can't wait for it to arrive!

Yasuo Amano

Post by Yasuo Amano » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:17 pm

VictorS wrote:Nice pictures Yasuo san. I placed my order too for both. How about the Miracle Dowsing Rods trick? Is it good? Can it be handed out for examination?
I like "Miracle Dowsing Rods" too. It's simple, clear and has a good effect. You can use it in various situations. I enjoyed showing that to my friends. :) You can't hand the gimmick to audience though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks for the explantion Yasuo. Can't wait to try both tricks. :) My friend has an idea adding locking mechanism on Mental Bento but I haven't any opportunity to meet him. It should be a great idea ;)

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:09 am

You don't need a locking mechanism on the bento box.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:You don't need a locking mechanism on the bento box.
We (Indonesian magicians) need it Richard....you don`t know how "wild" our spectators are. :lol: :lol:

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Here's a presentation for you, Victor: put a rubber band around the bento box.
Bring it out and place it on the table and ask the spectator, "Do you know what that is?"
The answer will be "no" (because at its tiny size it doesn't look like a real Bento Box).
Say, "Pick it up, turn it over, and look at the bottom. Does that give you any clues?"
"No."
Say, "Please give me the box," which you take and then remove the rubber band.
Now replace the box on the table in front of the person.
Say, "Don't pick the box up, but just lift off the lid."
That done, YOU pick up the bottom of the box.
Now begin the trick.
This presentation is something you can do which will result in the spectators having examined the box at the start while the lid is secured and all is safe.
I personally would never go through this, but if it makes you feel better, use it!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:34 am

Wow...thanks Richard. I got all points you mentioned. Really appreciate it :) :)

Unfortunately there are spectators that not so easy to manage, after the miracle happens, they will again ask : May I see the box ? So in other words, they want to see all the single details until they satisfy. So probably that kind of spec(s) I need to avoid.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 am

Victor, you have to learn how to manage spectators. The moment this trick is concluded, pocket the box with one hand and bring out another trick with the other hand. That's just one idea.

The other idea is to have some faith that the audience will be satisfied because they have already examined the box. Most magicians don't let the audience examine their props either before or after a trick. If your patter and presentation are well thought out, they won't ask.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Victor, you have to learn how to manage spectators. The moment this trick is concluded, pocket the box with one hand and bring out another trick with the other hand. That's just one idea.

The other idea is to have some faith that the audience will be satisfied because they have already examined the box. Most magicians don't let the audience examine their props either before or after a trick. If your patter and presentation are well thought out, they won't ask.
Thanks for the idea and advice Richard. Really appreciate it. I think your idea will work ;)

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 pm

I just received the Smart Guillotine and I love it!!! I'm glad I ordered two. :D
The dimensions of the blade never change as it magically penetrates the dollar or finger.
I couldn't fingure out how this was possible since the blade is shown solid at the start of the trick.
The method is so simple yet so clever!! Even though you can't show the back of the blade, I don't believe spectators will be able to figure this one out.

Surely this will become a Tenyo collector favorite.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Great to hear Kirk! Now I'm even more impatient until my ordered copy arrives...

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:33 pm

PS to those in the US:

I ordered Smart Guillotine and Dowsing Rods from SEO USA yesterday. They just became available. I should have them December 26th. We shall see!

Madison

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Well, I just tried to download the English instructions for Smart Guillotine but the download site isn't working. :(
I hope they get it up and running soon.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:18 am

I also received Smart Guillotine today. It's method is much simpler than I imagined but clever. I am concerned about one aspect when it comes to showing the blade, but I won't post any comments yet until others receive there copy and get to see its method. I'll be curious to hear others comments on the effect.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 am

I have read there are light issues ... .

I don't have the trick yet, but
- you can't have everything examined,
- you can't show the blade from the back, which I suppose also means you can't have people standing behind you,
- you have to be carefull where/in what light conditions you show it ... .

Any other problems? :(

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:28 am

No other problems, light issues or reflective issues are my concerns, but there may be solutions to them, it's still a great effect, and once the blade is impaled you are free to walk amongst a crowd and turn the guillotine around for all to see!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 am

It's the same principle as Mystic Blackboard, which does not have light reflection issues (at least to the best of my recollection).

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:27 pm

PeterW wrote:I also received Smart Guillotine today. It's method is much simpler than I imagined but clever. I am concerned about one aspect when it comes to showing the blade, but I won't post any comments yet until others receive there copy and get to see its method. I'll be curious to hear others comments on the effect.
There could be an angle issue when showing the blade but I believe proper handling will resolve that issue.
When I remove the blade for the spectator to touch, I will hold it in my left hand. The sharp corner of the blade will be against the webbing of my thumb and my thumb will run along the entire length of the blade. The middle finger will hold the top, flat edge of the blade. The angled edge of the blade will point towards my body. I think this will hide everything well. I hope I explained this will. :-/

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:57 pm

For Smart Guillotine, I understood the rear part of the guillotine but not the front part...
... ha! a Frenchman who does not understand how a guillotine works :mrgreen:
Richard Kaufman wrote:It's the same principle as Mystic Blackboard, which does not have light reflection issues (at least to the best of my recollection).
Ok... I think I understood the gimmick, it's ingenious :shock: I'm waiting to receive the guillotine to see if I'm good ;)
Last edited by HerveM on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:58 am

I received the package for amiami today, very nice package!
PeterW wrote:No other problems, light issues or reflective issues are my concerns, but there may be solutions to them, it's still a great effect, and once the blade is impaled you are free to walk amongst a crowd and turn the guillotine around for all to see!
For the guillotine, I have the same problem as you, the blade must remain in the shade, no direct light or grazing.I don't understand why Tenyo did not put a front part and an identical back part. I did not have to see the problem to do that.

For the bento box, I find the ingenious gimmick even if the food is a little difficult to clip. I thought the gimmick was based on high differences on the food and that the position of the lid allowed to know the missing food... mistake!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't matter in which direction you hold the blade: the change in finish in what should be a solid piece of plastic is evident.

The only way to solve the problem is to avoid letting any light reflect on it

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 am

Here is a different performance of Smart Guillotine. I believe this may be Angelo Carbone.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtBaFOS4FgM

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:33 am

KirkW wrote:Here is a different performance of Smart Guillotine. I believe this may be Angelo Carbone.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtBaFOS4FgM

Cool Kirk! Nice find, thanks for posting!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Interesting discussion of the Tenyo Mental Bento

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OH1RMrSbWY
and now, on with the show ...