Tenyo 2019

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Steve S.

Re: Tenyo 2019

Post by Steve S. » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:26 pm

So here is my review of Tenyo’s 2019 Chocolate Break trick...

Method: Ingenious
Props: Well designed and great looking
Quality: Great for the candy bars but not so much for the two wrappers
Effect: Fantastic and capable of performing a variety of things

This was the new Tenyo release for 2019 I was most excited about and no disappointment with this one! The method is terrific and easy to do with a bit of practice. More than one effect can be accomplished with the props which is a plus.

The actual performances look just like the demos so no surprises there. In essence, what you see is what you do!

The one thing I am not thrilled about would be the wrappers included for each bar. Eventually, they will wear out and you will be using the props without them. The size of the bars are not standard so are not easily replaceable.

So...I contacted Kent from 3D Magic Works and asked him if he could design something to solve the wrapper problem and he replied right away (with the photos) of what he did with his set. Kent designed a set of two boxes complete with the wrapper labels laminated and framed on the lid of each box which can be used to store and perform/present the effect. How cool is that? Talk about solving problems and upgrading a great trick! Here are the photos of what he sent me of his 3D creations below. I asked if he would consider creating a set for me and long story short, I just sent him the two wrappers and can’t wait to get my set.

For me, it’s like turning a Chevy into a Rolls Royce!

Here...take a look!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Wow it looks really nice Steve. Love it ! :)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Now that is really a good idea and looks great. :mrgreen:
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 pm

AWESOME!!!

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:48 am

Steve S. wrote:The one thing I am not thrilled about would be the wrappers included for each bar. Eventually, they will wear out and you will be using the props without them. The size of the bars are not standard so are not easily replaceable
Since I don't have the trick, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about ...
Are the included wrappers out of cartoon or paper ? Why would they wear out so fast ?
For me a cardboard packaging is usual for chocolate and none is made of plastic, it looks
unauthentic for me with these plastic parts, more like a puzzle box and no real chocolate ?

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:27 am

Thanks for the review!

Wow, I'm looking forward to getting mine!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:24 am

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:04 am

VictorS wrote:Videos of the other 3 items from 2019
Victor, thank you for posting these video links - 1 & 3 is clear to me - video 2 i still puzzle
I found the dice trick to be the most innovative even though it is easy for us to see through

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Olaf S wrote:
Steve S. wrote:The one thing I am not thrilled about would be the wrappers included for each bar. Eventually, they will wear out and you will be using the props without them. The size of the bars are not standard so are not easily replaceable
Since I don't have the trick, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about ...
Are the included wrappers out of cartoon or paper ? Why would they wear out so fast ?
For me a cardboard packaging is usual for chocolate and none is made of plastic, it looks
unauthentic for me with these plastic parts, more like a puzzle box and no real chocolate ?
Any chocolate bar I have ever seen comes wrapped in foil and is slipped into a paper label or, in some cases, are gift wrapped in a variety of containers made of tin, etc. which make use of compartments which separate each piece in an attractive manner.

The included wrappers are typical of most basic candy bar wrappers such as one included with a Hershey or Cadbury bar. Like those, repeated handling will result in them wearing out.

In any case, the spectator should assume the chocolate bars are not real due to the way they are wrapped without foil and pulled out from a pocket or whatever. In addition, they cannot be consumed.

Therefore, what you are providing your spectators with is a magical presentation using chocolate bars facsimile. By removing them from such a beautiful set of boxes enhances your presentation in an attractive and therefore positive way. Let’s call them eye candy.

Perhaps during the upcoming holiday season, you may want to pay special attention to the wide variety of packaging used to house all of the candy available in the shops. The sky’s the limit!

Hope the above helps you to understand the purpose of these boxes and why I am so happy to have the opportunity to receive them to adorm my new Tenyo chocolate bars trick props.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:56 pm

If you don't like the box idea and worried the wrappers would eventually wear out what I would do and will do if I get this chocolate bar effect is carefully unstick the wrapper seal flatten it out and scan each one print new ones like a dozen or so on appropriate semi gloss thin photo paper or what ever I find to be as close to the original paper I can find. Very easy replicated could even scan a real candy bar wrapper that is close to the size edit and adjust the size to fit right by adding on or reducing to the back side to be the right size. If you wanted to make it appear to be even more authentic wrap the bar in foil put the wrapper on good to go. ;)

So far I am not too excited about the effect so don't know I will get it. The handling seen on the video looks awkward not very natural movements.

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am

Richard W wrote:If you don't like the box idea and worried the wrappers would eventually wear out what I would do and will do if I get this chocolate bar effect is carefully unstick the wrapper seal flatten it out and scan each one print new ones like a dozen or so on appropriate semi gloss thin photo paper or what ever I find to be as close to the original paper I can find. Very easy replicated could even scan a real candy bar wrapper that is close to the size edit and adjust the size to fit right by adding on or reducing to the back side to be the right size. If you wanted to make it appear to be even more authentic wrap the bar in foil put the wrapper on good to go. ;)
Richard, this is a realy great tip - that would be the way i also will do it ...
I also like to wrap it in a silver foil, makes the whole thing even more funny

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:35 pm

I also received the first 3 Tenyos.

The Chocolate Break is absolutely the best of the three. Very clever idea which I haven't seen before!

The ideas of making a box or using an existing wrap is up to you. I am satisfied with the enclosed wraps.

The Screen Clean is OK, but the idea is not new. Maybe the only improvement is that they added a small case to safely store the gimmicks. But the effect remains great.

The Print Impress is a bit a disappointment for me. It's not so easy to perform, and it doesn't work well with the smaller euro bills. I want to change the bills with a picture, so that I can determine the size. Bigger size is better performance.
Last edited by Rob Rand on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks for the review guys.

I always thought Print Impress looked fiddly and not that very well built ... . Sad to hear the EURO bills don't work properly.

I expect Hitomi to have all the items this month.
Olaf S wrote:With deliveries from Hitomi I was always very satisfied but more expensive
What about import duties - do you have to pay high duties if you are over a certain amount ?
Indeed Olaf, Hitomi's prices are a bit above average. They used to be excellent, but the amount of Japanese sellers has grown the last couple of years and because they buy their items in bulk they can sell for less ... economics 1.01.
I keep ordering my annual tricks from her because she helped me out a lot in the past, for example with +1 effects when they weren't sold by SEO magic.
Oh and on top of that she promised me when I visit Japan/Tokyo (which won't be anytime soon :( ) she would arrange a meeting at the Tenyo factory and her husband (who used to work for Tenyo) will give me a guided tour :D

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:06 am

Rob Rand wrote:The Print Impress is a bit a disappointment for me. It's not so easy to perform, and it doesn't work well with the smaller euro bills. I want to change the bills with a picture, so that I can determine the size. Bigger size is better performance
Thanks for the feedback and hint to the small euro bills - a picture could be a good alternative

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:19 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Indeed Olaf, Hitomi's prices are a bit above average. I keep ordering my annual tricks from her because she helped me out a lot in the past, for example with +1 effects when they weren't sold by SEO magic. Oh and on top of that she promised me when I visit Japan/Tokyo (which won't be anytime soon :( ) she would arrange a meeting at the Tenyo factory and her husband (who used to work for Tenyo) will give me a guided tour :D
Ups, I did not know that Hitomi is a female person and that her husband work for Tenyo ...
I am always surprised how fast their parcels arrive from Japan, then Germany slow all down
Sounds great that they will help you in Tokyo & arrange with you a tour through Tenyo factory
I might be attracted to such a Tokyo visit, not only Tenyo, they also have a lot of Super 8 stuff

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Oh and by the way Olaf, I never, ever had to pay import duties from Japan/Hitomi. When I buy something in the USA I ALWAYS have import duties ... .

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:40 am

Rob Rand wrote:I also received the first 3 Tenyos.

The Chocolate Break is absolutely the best of the three. Very clever idea which I haven't seen before!

The ideas of making a box or using an existing wrap is up to you. I am satisfied with the enclosed wraps.

The Screen Clean is OK, but the idea is not new. Maybe the only improvement is that they added a small case to safely store the gimmicks. But the effect remains great.

The Print Impress is a bit a disappointment for me. It's not so easy to perform, and it doesn't work well with the smaller euro bills. I want to change the bills with a picture, so that I can determine the size. Bigger size is better performance.

That is a bit dissapoinring about Print Impress, that was one of my favorites I had going into the 2019 line.

Screen Clean. You are really the only person who has reviewed it so far. I am not surprised that the review is sort of neutral.

Awesome that Chocolate Break is good. My daughter will like that one.
David DeTenyo wrote: I keep ordering my annual tricks from her because she helped me out a lot in the past, for example with +1 effects when they weren't sold by SEO magic.
Oh and on top of that she promised me when I visit Japan/Tokyo (which won't be anytime soon :( ) she would arrange a meeting at the Tenyo factory and her husband (who used to work for Tenyo) will give me a guided tour :D
That’s awesome that you have that rapport with her. That’s an awesome offer on her part.
Where's my colon?!

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 am

VictorS wrote:Looks classic but still interesting ! The bill tricks look familiar, but not the rope trick. Hopefully we hear more about this in the near future :)
I found the pictures of the back of the packages
61Ciaxp8BHL._SL1000_.jpg
61ur79qFQ1L._SL1000_.jpg
3 very simple tricks per package (about 800 yen) ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:09 pm

So I'm a little excited as I've put in my order for Chocolate break, but then Christmas is on its way so I splurged on myself and also purchased Quarter Squeeze, Magic tester, and Collectors Workshop's version of Alan Wakeling's and Jim Steinmeyer' Loaded Dice! Wooohoo, can't wait!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:48 pm

PeterW wrote:So I'm a little excited as I've put in my order for Chocolate break, but then Christmas is on its way so I splurged on myself and also purchased Quarter Squeeze, Magic tester, and Collectors Workshop's version of Alan Wakeling's and Jim Steinmeyer' Loaded Dice! Wooohoo, can't wait!
Yes Chocolate Break is definitely the winner of the first 3 Tenyos.

Hmm curious about your other orders. Quarter Squeezer check, Loaded Dice check too ( I have both and they're great), but Magic tester? Is that the item from Rock Ridge? With the steel balls?

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi Rob, I purchased from The Magic Warehouse, I like puzzles and this looked interesting, plus it didn't add to my shipping costs so I went for it. Here's a link. http://themagicwarehouse.com/TA2574/Magic-Tester.html

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:44 am

I just received Chocolate Break.
Wow, it's ingenious, the gimmick is incredible! I would never have thought of it, I love it!
For me, one of the best Tenyo of recent years.

A trick that all tenyoists must have!!!!

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 am

a very nice improvement for print impress:

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:32 am

HerveM wrote:a very nice improvement for print impress:

That's exactly what I mean. If the bill is as big as the surface of the prop, only then it works perfect. Of course I mean, if half of the bill fits the prop.

With smaller bills it's really a pain to perform.

CollinW

Chocolate Break

Post by CollinW » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Chocolate Break looks interesting. What are the angles like? Does it make noise?