Restoring Superstick (T-97)

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Ron Leshem

Restoring Superstick (T-97)

Post by Ron Leshem » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 pm

I recently acquired a Superstick that needs to be restored. I assume that the "gems" can be sourced from a craft/bead shop and cut by a jeweler. Does anybody have any suggestion though on how to best restore the white color of the dice so that they more closely resemble the ones seen here http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/t091-t100/#t097
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Re: Restoring Superstick (T-97)

Post by gazpratley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:41 am

Great trick , i love mine, just wish i had a "sealed one" love the packaging . :)

Ron Leshem

Post by Ron Leshem » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:26 pm

gazpratley wrote:Great trick , i love mine, just wish i had a "sealed one" love the packaging . :)
How has the color held up on yours? And do you perform this in combination in with any other Tenyo pieces? I'm thinking of performing Superstick, then combining it with Crash Dice to segue into a longer routine.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:45 pm

The color has held up very well to be fair, i have a loose jewell on one of the dice that i will have to glue back on at some point , i have only ever done the usual routine for the trick, but the possible routine you have mentioned does sound super cool though :)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Ron Leshem wrote:How has the color held up on yours?
The color on mine is fine, I am not sure how you would fix the yellowing.
gazpratley wrote:i have a loose jewell on one of the dice that i will have to glue back on at some point
I recommend using white glue and NOT Super Glue (cyanoacrylates) because it will probably craze the plastic and the jewel.
gazpratley wrote:Great trick , i love mine, just wish i had a "sealed one" love the packaging . :)
These are found in the packaging where the glue has failed so if you find a sealed one, be suspicious.

Ron Leshem

Post by Ron Leshem » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 am

Thanks for chiming in John. I wonder whether you think I have more to gain or lose in terms of the value of the product, by attempting to restore the dice. I could, after all, keep the originals in storage while creating new custom ones for my regular performances. Is it worth the effort to tweak the originals?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:58 am

I think it is fun and rewarding to restore magic tricks.

I think it will be hard to find the proper size of jewels.

If you can find the proper size I would then take a corner of a die and either sand or scrape a small area to see if you can get down to the white.

If you do see white without going too deep then I would take off all the jewels and sand the dice to white and then sand/polish back to smooth and finally glue the jewels back with white glue.

I have nine grits of sanding sticks and 4 levels of polishing liquids that I use for working on my magic and slot cars.

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:38 am

Ron Leshem wrote:IDoes anybody have any suggestion though on how to best restore the white color of the dice so that they more closely resemble the ones seen here http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/t091-t100/#t097
Try this technique; using Hydrogen Peroxide and UV light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-HSjGj0ek

I forgot to mention, to glue the stones in use E-6000.