2023 line and 2022 +1 announced

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

2023 line and 2022 +1 announced

Post by Brett H » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:19 pm

Here's what we have this year:

2023:

SIZE SURPRISE (the card trick): spectator is shown 5 cards and asked which one is bigger. Magician instantly produces a giant Ace, then a smaller 2, then a smaller 3, even smaller 4, and a tiny 5.

This seems to be a remake and could go under the World's Greatest Magic banner

LUCKY STRING (the one with the strings and bells): 5 strings, but only one leads to a tiny dinging bell. Spectator is able to pick all the stings, but none of them are the right string. The last one produces the chime that dings.

MONA LISA PUZZLE (the...Mona Lisa Puzzle): This is apparently a remake as well, but of a really expensive trick that I can't seem to find a demo of anywhere. The way the original trick is set up, a picture/puzzle is left covered and in view the entire performance. Spectator is asked to pick a puzzle piece. The portrait is revealed to be missing one piece. It is then revealed that the puzzle piece they picked IS the missing piece.

MR. DANGER (The voodoo doll looking one): A plastic doll is put in a case and you stab it with swords. Take the swords out and open the case, the doll is 100% intact. A rough translation suggests that this is inspectable.

To note, Richard Kaufman has said that one of these will be the most like old-fashioned Tenyo than anything that has come out in years. My guess is that it's Mr. Danger.

The 2022 +1 this year is called "LIAR'S FRUIT".

FROM FACEBOOK:

"The effect said
Ask them to choose their favorite fruit from the cards with various fruits in their hearts and add up how many of them are in total. After making the fruit invisible, you will be asked to tell the total, but you can lie. Even if the other person says a lie, he will guess the fruit of his choice. Next, ask them to choose another fruit, and this time they will say the name of the lie fruit, but they will still guess! It's a mysterious and fun magic that lets you guess what you think while enjoying conversation."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brett H on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Re: 2023 line and 2022 +1 announced

Post by Brett H » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:36 pm

I'm actually pretty excited about this line and will probably get the SEO deal with the +1 whenever it comes out. The last time I was excited about a T-lineup was 2019 (when it was first revealed, I get that it was quite a mixed bag upon release).

Size Surprise: I'm a bit surprised that this wasn't put into +1 territory because it seems to pack small and play big. I'm not sure what Tenyo has done to improve it. Looking at the demos of it online, maybe the improvement has to do with transportability?

Lucky Strings: This seems similar to Magic Maze, and probably the first trick in a long time (like Magic Poodle) that incorporates sound/noise (purposefully).

Mona Lisa Puzzle: I'm excited that they turned, what was, a really expensive (but good) trick, and miniaturized it--and made it affordable. Excited to see what the hype was about.

Mr. Danger: I'm guessing this is the "early Tenyo throwback" Richard was talking about. That's the stuff that got me into Tenyo, I'm glad they are bringing it back.
Where's my colon?!

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:04 pm

Mr. Danger is looking good!

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:46 pm

I believe Mr. Danger is the one Richard Kaufman was refereeing to. It is the only one that interests me at this time but I’ll need to wait for the demo videos to see if I change my mind. 😊

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:27 pm

A closer image:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:04 pm

Liar's Fruit has made it into the hands of those in Japan

https://twitter.com/magic7only/status/1 ... 6348078080.

From what I can gather, it's a 6 card trick, very interaction heavy, and you can perform it twice in a single performance.
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:03 am

Got Liar's Fruit yesterday, I'll give a more detailed post about it later today. It's very clever
Where's my colon?!

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:39 pm

Hi Brett, any more thoughts you can share on Liar's Fruit?

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:54 am

Here are more detailed descriptions which I got from Tan Tze Ing:

Very pleased to provide updated information on the 2023 releases:

T-303 Lucky Strings

Five strings extend from an envelope, but only one string is attached to the winning bell at the bottom. Allow your spectator to choose four of the strings, and the final string remains for you. Pull each of the selected strings upward, and show that they are all loose strings – none of them are attached to the winning bell. The single string they left for you is the winner! Every selection is freely made by the spectator. Even if they decide to change strings midway, they still cannot find the winning string.

T-304 The Final Piece

A spectator randomly selects a jigsaw puzzle piece from a loose pile of pieces. The magician draws attention to a cloth that covers a completed puzzle on the table. He removes the cloth and shows that one piece of that puzzle is missing. Incredibly, the single puzzle piece the spectator selected is exactly the correct piece needed to complete the puzzle! This famous magic effect has been performed by many top professional magicians. This easy method brings the identical effect within your grasp, so you can delight and baffle your own audiences.

T-305 Mister Danger

Insert a solid, person-shaped figurine into the case, and close the lid. The lid contains many small holes directly above the figurine. One by one, insert a sword into each hole, passing each blade right through the person! When you remove the swords and open the lid, the figurine is completely intact, without a single hole or scratch on its body!
The figurine fits exactly into the case, with no place to escape the swords.
This magic trick is completely self-working. And, once you learn the clever way it is gimmicked, you will be surprised yet again!

T-306 Size Surprise

Show the ace through five of clubs in your hand, and ask, “Which of these is the biggest card?” Your spectator will naturally answer, “The five.” Suddenly the cards all change in size – the five becomes a tiny card and the ace expands to jumbo size! This easy-to-do masterpiece of card magic is sure to astound your audiences and leave them rubbing their eyes!

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:43 pm

The boxes:

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:54 am

Sorry about the late writeup with Liar's Fruit. The day I wanted to write it up, we got news that we were moving, so it's been busy busy.

For starters, here's the only video of Liar's Fruit in action. It's all in Japanese, but it's relatively easy to follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnbnx6SswLQ&t=3s

The trick itself comes with 6 cards and two routines:
- where you accurately predict the chosen fruit
- where you accurately predict the number of their chosen fruit

If you're looking at the video, it looks a bit easy if you're trying to analyze it. Even if you think you know what's happening on a couple playthroughs, I will say that you're only getting a fraction of it and you're scratching the surface. Out of the box/package, there's quite a bit more. You will be surprised at the depth of how far the secret goes. At least, I was.

You can do both routines to two different spectators. But after you do one routine, you have to basically do the trick all over again, just the premise is different.

Now, it IS possible to do the trick and do both predict a spectators chosen fruit AND number, which comes off a bit like Grand Derby Prediction.

Now, even if you don't speak Japanese, you can use Japanese translators online and get the gist of what's happening. The only part that got confusing was figuring out the second routine. To that, it makes more sense when you look at the "suggestions" section that are past the second routine instructions.

I believe you can do this trick standing up, might take a little bit just to figure out hand management for holding the cards, but for the most part, you don't really need a table for this, which makes this one of the few redemption tricks you can do standing up.

My only complaint about the trick is that--and this could just be a regional thing--some of the fruit aren't really easy to figure out (Is that dark thing an avocado?! Yeah. And the green thing is deemed "a melon")

Overall, this trick is VERY presentation and conversation heavy. If you love performing for friends and whatnot, you must add this to your inventory. I really hope that this trick becomes a redemption trick that they reprint in the future like Magical Sneakers and Magical Burger because it really is super fun, the secret is incredibly clever.

I know SEOMagic usually does Tenyo bundles with the Redemption/+1 attached. This is absolutely the route to go for the US crowd. On top of that, this years tricks look like a good year in terms of variety. That said, this year seems to have more tricks that are expensive, with Lucky Strings being the cheapest of the 4:

- Mr. Danger is bigger than the pictures let on. Like...A LOT bigger. It absolutely looks like something from the 90's Tenyo. I'd even go so far as to say it would have been picked up by Magic Works. This is probably my favorite going in, even though--holy hell--props galore.

- Speaking of "props galore", Final Piece looks like it'd be great to have displayed on a coffee table. It really looks like a great conversation piece you could have innocuously lying around and you could roll right into it.

- Lucky Strings has a neat premise, but is an absolute "sucker trick". I hope that the secret would allow you to change up the routine. I like the trick, but premise feels like the antithesis of Magic Maze. Instead of "hey, you created this impossible route to the end, good job" it's now, "YOU ONLY HAD ONE JOB!!"

- Size Surprise. Usually with the Worlds Greatest title, Tenyo makes some improvement. I haven't seen this trick before and I'm 99% confident how it works, and to that end, I'm not even sure how to...make an improvement on it. I'll get it if it's lumped in with the SEOMagic Tenyo bundles, but chances are that I'll get it just to see what they did. My only guess is that they did something to make handling it easier.

I think I covered everything for Liar's Fruit. If there's anything I didn't cover, ask away. But do make sure you get your hands on one, it's 100% worth it.
Where's my colon?!

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:23 pm

Really like the upcoming releases. The only problem I have is with Mr. Danger. The dagger through the crotch is not appropriate for my audiences. I didn't really notice it until I saw the performance video and it just stood out.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:45 pm

The Final Piece & Mister Danger are both on my want list.
I too thought the crotch dagger stood out. The folks at Tenyo should have thought that through a little more.

Anyway, Mister Dagger is one of the most old school Tenyo looking effects that’s been released in some time.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:03 am

Thanks Brett! Looking forward to these!!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:44 pm

The most Tenyo lovers have a preference for the Mr Danger and the Final Piece effect.

I agree that these two effects are the most interesting ones.

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:38 am

SEO is selling the complete 2023 line with plus one. It is a pre-order and expected to be in stock at the end of October.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:48 pm

Any videos online yet?

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:47 pm

John B. wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:48 pm
Any videos online yet?
You can see them on the Tenyo Facebook page if you’re a member.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:29 am

RogerD wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:38 am
SEO is selling the complete 2023 line with plus one. It is a pre-order and expected to be in stock at the end of October.
It's interesting that SEO usually does a couple of different bundles with the plus one of that year. This is the first time in a while (not sure how long they've been selling the plus one with the other tricks of that year. I've been tracking the redemption trick stuff on their site since, I think, Mysterious Pocket in 2016? Super Victory for sure.)

I kind of don't blame them for not doing multiple plus one bundles this year, considering that in the last 2 years:

- A Whole New Whole (2020) was sold as a standalone trick very shortly after the mainline was on the market.

- Image Generator Mini (2021) bundles are still up and available--both the BIG Tenyo bundle, and the one that's missing 2 tricks (Phone Apateit and Wild Shock). In the past, the bundles would have dried up by this point--especially the smaller one.

This year, the only way to get Liar's Fruit is to get the entire line for this year. It seems like they are trying to ensure they aren't holding onto a bunch of stock and just have one BIG Tenyo package this year as opposed to having a BIG one and a slightly smaller one--both with the plus one.

I'm also not sure if Tenyo making a BIG push with the plus one re-releases is telling people that "hey, don't pay large secondary market prices for them, we'll release them eventually". But in the case of at least Image Generator Mini, I don't think that's going to get a reprint anytime soon due to the materials.

to note, the demo video of Liar's Fruit on their site, they combine both effects in the instructions.

All that said, this years lineup looks really good and getting the SEO bundle with the plus one would be a great way to go for the US members,
Where's my colon?!

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:39 am

KirkW wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:47 pm
John B. wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:48 pm
Any videos online yet?
You can see them on the Tenyo Facebook page if you’re a member.
Alas, no FB for me, so will have to wait to see these when posted elsewhere.

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:11 pm

Brett H wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:29 am
RogerD wrote:
It's interesting that SEO usually does a couple of different bundles with the plus one of that year.
I thought that the plus one required you to buy all that year's Tenyo releases. SEO just handled the mailing in of the proof of purchases and sold it as a bundle. I didn't realize they had plus ones in bundles that didn't include every trick.

I think that Tenyo's intent of the plus one is that you buy all the tricks of that year. It is marketing to sell the less popular tricks.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:58 am

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:46 pm

I have been ordering from SEO for the past 4 - 5 years, just for the +1.
Their prices are reasonable, and their customer service is exceptional.

I think they said that this is the 8th year of offering the +1 as a bonus, but I must have missed the first few years.

They are a great seller.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:12 am

RogerD wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:11 pm
Brett H wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:29 am
RogerD wrote:
It's interesting that SEO usually does a couple of different bundles with the plus one of that year.
I thought that the plus one required you to buy all that year's Tenyo releases. SEO just handled the mailing in of the proof of purchases and sold it as a bundle. I didn't realize they had plus ones in bundles that didn't include every trick.

I think that Tenyo's intent of the plus one is that you buy all the tricks of that year. It is marketing to sell the less popular tricks.
Oh, definitely. Tenyo's intent is to buy most/all the tricks for the year to get the redemption trick (I want to say that there were some years where didn't need to get the Rabbit Marks for all--but you had to get most of them. I think 2019 was this was as they had 6 tricks in their lineup when they normally have 4).

I'm not sure how SEO is able to participate in the program. I think I hard somewhere that they are based in Japan, which would explain them being able to participate in the program as you can't do it if you're outside of Japan. But I think they have a shop--or distributor in the US (I think California).

It's been a while since I've ordered from SEO, but I think I remember seeing a note from them saying that the trick they were sending me (Ghost Camera and Mysterious Doghouse) had the Rabbit Mark removed. I can't remember if this was an optional thing or not. But it would make sense that they would have a bunch of Tenyo without their Rabbit Marks for that years lineup so they could get one metric ton of plus ones to bundle with that year's lineup.

I could be very wrong; I'm just trying to piece together from snippets I've read here and there. Correct me if I missed something.
Where's my colon?!

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:46 am

Mister Danger looks quite cool, and in the performance video, the spectator is allowed to insert the swords, but not to open the case after they have been removed. I wonder how inspectable it really is (if at all).

In the video, they also skipped the part where the box is closed and locked (and hence where the magic happens), and jumped straight to the sword insertion. I'd have liked to see the full performance.