Tenyo magic catalogs and routines ('Competition Winners')

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Tenyo magic catalogs and routines ('Competition Winners')

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed May 07, 2014 6:53 am

I finally started unpacking some of my Tenyo boxes and it seems I have three magic catalogs that were sent to me for free a couple of years ago by a shop where I purchased a lot of Tenyo. I also found a VHS tape with routines on it. I totally forgot about them :)

In every of the three catalogs I have there is at least one 'competition winner', someone who wrote a nice routine for an existing Tenyo trick. It would be great to have all these routines in the Focus On Tenyo section so I would like to ask if you have a catalog please check for the routine in it.

I wonder if we have all Tenyo's catalogs if we add up which one each member has.

I have:

The routines included (which I will scan and post in the appropriate thread in the Focus On Tenyo section) are:
- a routine for Fantastica by Michiaki Kishimoto;
- The Infinitum Predicition subitted by Kazuyuki Haze;
- Double Zig Zag (Cig) by Shinichi Yamashita;
- Magic Square by Werner Miller which I recently uploaded in the Flash Dice thread.

The routines are made public in the catalogs so I see no problem whatsoever if we would post them on our forum (if we credit the inventor/source of course).

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Re: Tenyo magic catalogs and routines ('Competition Winners'

Post by Elliot W. » Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 am

Very interesting. I don't have any of the old catalogs so I did not know about that.
It seems like a good idea. I wonder why they stopped it?
What there any prize for the competition winner or was having it published the prize?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed May 07, 2014 11:31 am

Here is the contest from the '95 catalog Elliot:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 am

Coooool! Dammit, if only they were running that competition now
Now you see me...

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Wed May 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Great idea!

I do have catalogues from 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2006.

In the '97 issue there is an Eye of The Idol card finding routine.
The 1998 issue does not have this competition but there is a profile article on Lubor Fiedler.
And there is no competition trick in the 2006 issue.
So maybe 1997 was the last year they had this competition.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu May 15, 2014 6:49 am

I'm quite surprised there's so litle response in this thread. Botond and me are not the only ones who have catalogs, I'm pretty sure of that :)

So for now what we have is:

Please post your catalogs here guys :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu May 15, 2014 7:22 am

Ive bid on a few in the past on ebay but never won. perhaps there could be a thread/gallery of scanned PDFs of each catalogue. A catalogue catalogue.
Now you see me...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Thu May 15, 2014 7:34 am

SimonC wrote:Ive bid on a few in the past on ebay but never won. perhaps there could be a thread/gallery of scanned PDFs of each catalogue. A catalogue catalogue.
Wonderful idea and would be great to share these with everyone. Are they copyrighted?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu May 15, 2014 8:14 am

I wrote about the catalogs I have here:

From my want list on the sister website you can see I have all but these.

CATALOGS I AM LOOKING FOR:
1972, 1974, 1978, 1984, 2008, 2009

1978 I have without the cover
1984 I don't think there was a catalog that year
2008 I have a Japanese version but not an English one

So the actual list of what I am missing is more like
1972, 1974, 2009

Either the 1972 or 1974 catalog is the one where the tricks Breakaway Fan and Coin Coaster are pictured. I would love to have that one.

The catalogs have changed over the years as Tenyo cut costs. Originally they had color pages of the new tricks for the year, a couple of articles and black and white pages showing "ads" of the previously released tricks. Eventually the color pages went away, then the articles and now rather than being a catalog it is a pamphlet.

Interestingly the Japanese Catalog has even more pages than the English. The Japanese catalog has the Japanese only Tenyo tricks in them as well.

I would think that they are copyrighted. For sure, you know who will raise a "stink" if he catches wind of it. I don't think Tenyo would mind but it would be wise to get permission from them. Also the amount of work to scan in all the pages and make PDFs would be a lot. A saving grace is that some of the pages are redundant through the years. The b&w ads section is repeated from catalog to catalog with very little changes in the layout of the pages.

There is some good information in some of the catalogs but nothing mind boggling. I think the appeal of having them in PDF format would be more that they would be interesting to look at. I did use the catalogs to write some of the articles for the sister website.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Thu May 15, 2014 9:48 am

The catalogs are interesting to look at but do not change much from year to year. I have picked up a couple when the price was right. Would not mind having some of the older ones but I am not really actively looking for them.
Lately Tenyo has the English catalogs for download but there is not much to them.The Japanese catalogs seem to have many more tricks. Nice to look at the pictures but of course I can actually read any of the words. I've gotten a couple of those just because I've gotten some of the specials and the latest catalog comes with them in Japan.

I think the only ones I have are:
2012 (Japanese)
2014 (Japanese)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu May 15, 2014 12:26 pm

So John owns them practically all, that's easy ;)

I don't really care so much for the catalogs, but what I like are the special routines I described in my previous posts.

We already know '89, '90, '95 and '97 have routines for Infinitum, Eye Of The Idle, Fantastica, Flash Dice and Zig Zag Cig. What I would like to know is what other routines can be found in the other catalogs :) We can scan the routines and post them in the appropriate thread in Focus On Tenyo. I don't see any copyright problem with scanning the routines and posting them in this section if we clearly mention the name of the inventor - heck, it's clear he didn't want to hold the routine for himself else he wouldn't have sent it to Tenyo so it can be published in the (free-for-all) catalog.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31 am