Magic Cabinet

Post in this area pictures of Tenyo or your collection, links to Tenyo videos, creative Tenyo pictures you have created and other such things.
JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Magic Cabinet

Post by JohnM » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 am

Fantastic Cabinets Boys!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:00 pm

PeterW wrote:Well here's my puzzle cabinet. Not nearly as neat as your magic cabinet Simon :D Funny thing is I think I need a bigger puzzle cabinet as those aren't all my puzzles and puzzle boxes ;) One day I hope to make a bigger cabinet or buy one and reuse this cabinet to display my magic effects.
Awesome collection Peter....really nice to see them in display. Can you remember the solutions for every puzzles ? It`s quite easy to remember the secret of magic props but I believe puzzles are more challenging. Even for some mentalism effects, I need to go back to the instructions again to know how it works. However....nice collection of Puzzles Pete ;)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Simon, happy to see your collection is growing. I still can see my bottle on the top of the Cabinet. Thanks mate...I feel honored ;) Someday I need to tidy up my cabinet too. I`m lacking of space already. By the way...the poster with the lady...nice one...did you get it from Rob ? :D

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:16 am

Thanks for the kind words gents! Simon I too would love to go through your magic cabinet, maybe we need to house swap one day :D Victor at one point I did remember all there solutions, but the collection is at a point now where I do pick up the odd puzzle and get to resolve it because I forgot how it works, I figure one day the entire collection will become new again to me in my old age :lol:

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:51 am

Wonderfull Peter! I can't imagine how many hours of puzzling fun this could bring to someone who doesn't know these puzzles :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am

Great collection Peter! A few years ago I had my cabinet chock-full with puzzles, now it is filled with magic tricks, and all the puzzles are in the garage :( Lack of space!
I see many Wil Strijbos items, and wow you even have the Big Ben from Mr Puzzle!

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:58 am

Yes Rob, good eye! Wil's aluminum puzzles are very nice, and Big Ben is from Mr. puzzle (Brian Young) in Australia. It's a very cool sequential discover puzzle that lets you find tools as you solve it to reach the goal of finding Big Ben (the bell) inside the tower.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:48 pm

That Big Ben puzzle really intrigues me, but boy not cheap!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:11 pm

that sounds like the coolest idea, finding tools to use as you go along, wow! :D
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:28 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:That Big Ben puzzle really intrigues me, but boy not cheap!
That caught my eye too. Is it still available and if so, how much?

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 am

The puzzle is still available for sale here: http://www.mrpuzzle.com.au/big-ben-puzzle.html The site has a good description of the puzzle and some of its back story.

It is a lot of money and unless your a serious collector of puzzles I don't know if the investment will be worth it. I purchased a copy for sentimental reasons for my collection. Brian Young it's maker is a good friend and the puzzle was originally commissioned by a mutual friend John Moores for his IPP (International Puzzle Party) exchange puzzle. The exchange takes place at the yearly invitation only gathering of puzzle collectors called IPP. You make or have made 100 copies of an original not previously for sale puzzle that you then exchange with a 100 other puzzlers. For the exchangers it means you leave IPP with 100 different and in most cases incredibly cool puzzles. This past year in London England John Moores exchanged Big Ben. For all the exchangers receiving this puzzle it was an incredibly generous exchange puzzle as he had commissioned Brian Young to create it at a pretty costly expense to John. What most exchangers didn't know was that John was battling cancer and passed away shortly after the IPP event. I think John went to the trouble to have such an incredible exchange puzzle because in some way he wanted to say thank you to all his puzzle friends that are apart of the yearly International Puzzle Party. So for me this puzzle reminds me of John and of the great friends I have made through IPP.

Wow I'm getting a bit misty eyed here ;) who knew a puzzle could have such meaning attached to it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:53 am

Wow what an amazing story, it's testament to his legacy that it's the puzzle we all thought stood out. That event is a great idea, I guess it gives you a year to work through the 100 puzzles!
Now you see me...

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:00 am

I've been lucky to attend IPP 3 years now, but I'm afraid that I don't have the spare time to create 100 exchange puzzles to enter the exchange. So I normally work as an exchange assistant and then if I'm lucky I purchase a copy of the puzzles I fancy at the puzzle party the day after the exchange. One year I need to book time off work to make 100 exchange puzzles but that's difficult because I'm self employed :D

One funny story, The very first IPP I attended was in San Fransisco. I was sent an email because they knew I was a magician and it asked if I wanted the opportunity to get up and perform a magic trick to introduce myself to the group, I thought about it and thought it would be a great way to introduce myself so I wrote back that I would be happy to do that. Well a few days go by and I start asking myself I wonder how many people attend IPP and how many will be in the crowd that night, so I send off an email asking that question. The person I email writes back "well there will be around 500 people in the audience!" E Gad!!!!! I had never performed in front of such a big audience before, I figured that rules out any card tricks!

I chose to do a rope effect and tied the patter into puzzles and the famous designers at IPP. My stage performance went over great and to this day that's the biggest audience I have ever performed magic for! :D

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks for those stories Peter :)
The only 'issue' if you can call it that with puzzles is that once you know how it works, the fun is over. Nonetheless I'm sure there is also a lot of joy in presenting it to a visitor and tell them: try to figure that one out. In that sense it is actually very, very similar to the magic tricks I buy ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Everyone light a cigar there's been a birth in the Craze household! I'm proud to announce that my magic cabinet has had a baby!
My cupboard is full to the brim so I've ruben-proofed this wee painted cupboard and hey presto! You may recognise the lock ;)
I'll need to spend a day arranging it and building in some shelves, that's my weekend sorted :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Wow Simon, that looks very magic! It looks like a magic trick itself! :)
Did you obtain that on a flea market ? ;)

You will have great fun organising it!

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 pm

Wow, what a beautiful cabinet! It is so colorful. Is it Asian?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Niceee.....it looks like Indian style illusion box. Simon, I believe it has also perfect height to perform stand up or close up magic performance. It has a drawer to put the close up props or to lap something in. Cool !

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Very cool looking cabinet, now if that's not a cabinet for magic I don't know what is!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Perfect!
and now, on with the show ...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:16 am

It's almost psychedelic ... love it :)

Shan

Post by Shan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:37 am

Looks good!! Putting in more Tenyo?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:39 pm

ahh as I settle into holiday mode I've finally had a chance to revisit my magic cabinet. I kept opening it and despairing at the mess it had gotten into. with a bit of time to myself today I managed to make an extra shelf to spread out te tricks, repair the light and find a few different ways to display things on the sides. it's still pretty cramped but it's much easier to see what's where now and it looks a bit smarter. how's everyone else's collections coming along? I hope 2015 brought a few gems :)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:54 pm

I always enjoy watching your cabinet Simon and great to see your collection is growing. I wish to make this one for me too someday....really2 cool :)

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Nice layout, I especially like the glass shelves, it lets light get down to the lower shelves. Looks nicely organized to me!