The Golden Temple Illusion

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.

Re: The Golden Temple Illusion

Postby BluBob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 am

ØyvindK wrote:I decided to create a basket to catch the ball, turned out quite nice:

picture6.jpg

It does topple over sometimes (depends on how the ball hits), but that doesn't really matter, as it still takes most of the energy out of the ball, so it doesn't roll very far.

=================================================================
With the addition of the Basket, It's just perfect!
(might add a weight to the bottom of the Basket.)

I've been around Magic for many years, and am applauding here at this end! 8-)
and now, on with the show ...
BluBob

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:20 am

@John B.: Yes, that might work. I'll have to test a little, though. Using silk will increase the risk of lifting off one (or both) of the tunnels, but with some care it should work. Another idea could be to just add a small string to the ball. Then it can be used as a pendulum as well, if some suitable patter for that can be found.

@BluBob: Thanks! And I have actually added some weight to the basket, but it can still topple over sometimes. And then it will self-right (but the ball might have rolled out first).
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby Richard W » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 pm

I am not seeing the problem with the ball going through at full speed that is what I would expect it to do. Slowing it down would make it appear odd. The basket just needs to be wider and heavier at the bottom with some decorative attached square or round footed base doesn't make any difference. Maybe attach a base made out of brass it will never fall over.

The tapered pot looks excellent but by design very light weight, tall and top heavy. Being tall the ball likely hits the side up higher instead of landing in the bottom. Can try a little larger diameter lower profile round or square basket and placed it where the ball always lands in the bottom it can't fall over. If the basket was round or square with larger diameter lower profile if need be maybe slightly rectangle it could have a dual purpose. You could present and store the tunnels and the ball in the basket.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand." Kurt Vonnegut
Richard W
Charter Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Richard, those are fair points. I did experiment a little with some inside ridges in the tube to slow down the ball and make some noise, but it didn't really work out very well. There is a sound, but the ball doesn't slow down much. I actually agree with you that having it go full speed isn't really an issue. With the story that it's a one-way glass, then there is no real reason it should slow down while passing.

Making the basket bigger and heavier to allow also for storage of the tubes is a good idea, so I will most likely test that out. The current pot is actually not top heavy at all, because I have added weight to the bottom of it. Just not enough to always contain the energy from the steel ball.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby VictorS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am

ØyvindK,

Very2 sorry of the slowing down idea was bad and came from me. Just forget it guys! I pretty sure the spec. will get an idea of the effect. Even without using any basket, spec can curve one or both palms like a small bowl and position it in front of the front tunnel. Steel ball will land into their palm, problem solved !

The trick is perfect. Apologize for any bad idea. Excellent work my friend ! :) ;)
VictorS

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby ØyvindK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:58 am

Victor S.: No need to apologize for anything! I also thought it was a good idea, but when it didn't really work out, no harm done.

I did create a new and bigger basket, though:

picture7.jpg

This one does not topple over, and has a more flowing shape. It is also big enough both for the ball and the tubes. With this I consider the trick to be finished. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby Richard W » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Very good the larger basket with the footed base worked out I knew it would. Plus being able to store both tubes and ball is nice. Good job project is complete. :mrgreen:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand." Kurt Vonnegut
Richard W
Charter Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby BluBob » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:24 am

ØyvindK wrote:I decided to create a basket to catch the ball, turned out quite nice:

picture6.jpg

It does topple over sometimes (depends on how the ball hits), but that doesn't really matter, as it still takes most of the energy out of the ball, so it doesn't roll very far.

========================================================================
With the addition of the basket this is complete, and stunning!

I might suggest adding a weight to the bottom of the basket in order to keep it in place, but is not neccessay!
BluBob

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 am

@BluBob: There is already weight in the bottom of the basket, so it is quite sturdy. :-)
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby Rob Rand » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Now it's really finished, Oyvind. My compliments!

It's so great if you can make your own tricks, inspired by the ones that you love!
Rob Rand
Charter Member

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby BluBob » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:08 pm

ØyvindK wrote:@BluBob: There is already weight in the bottom of the basket, so it is quite sturdy. :-)

================================
I first suggested adding the weight on Feb 7, 2018. (scroll up)
I thought the message was not posted, so I posted again.

It's perfect, no worries!
BluBob

National Flag:
United States of America

Previous

Return to Tenyo-Like Magic