This one baffled me...

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: This one baffled me...

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:26 am

Thanks in advance Simon, I'd love to know more about This That and Nothing ... . Yes, the members only section seems the appropriate place. And my wife can make these litle velvet bags I believe :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:16 am

Also reminds me a bit of Lubor Fiedler's Brain Box ... an 'egg' card is put into one of several envelopes, between plastic plates so nothing can be seen. The performer takes the envelopes and knows where the egg card is - he can even be blindfolded. An absolutely diabolical principle that fooled my wife BAD, she really thought the envelope with the card had a different weight to it, as I told her, but that isn't the case of course :twisted: . I'll post more info about it in the thread that Simon will make about the trick he mentioned a few posts above.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:06 am

Am I missing something obvious or is this a great trick for a great price (18 USD)?

Advertisement says: comes with special gimmick, envelopes, paper bags. Please provide your own deck. Also easy to do.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:29 am

No clue..... :shock:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:03 am

hmm.. my guess is the 8 of diamonds is a shim and there's a magnet in the bottoming the bag which keeps it in place until the end when you can see there are only a few face down cards left
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:16 am

My guess is a double-facer.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:28 am

Of course!! 100 points to rob :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:33 am

Ffs OF COURSE! Well, I was fooled!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:53 am

Just performed for the wife (in all these years I have collected a bunch of gaffed cards) - and yep, she was baffled! :lol:

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Rob Rand wrote:My guess is a double-facer.
OMG!!...thats true!!.....I was thinking about magnets....or a hidden flap....but is very simple as the best tricks....thank you Rob!!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:24 am

Hoping that this trick will baffle you :)
I made this one myself, from The book of wonders by Tommy Wonder called Carpenter's Revenge.
Sorry for the sloppy performance and clothing! It was late at night, and it is an unofficial video:

http://youtu.be/fc4MkFcPRfo

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:36 am

I love this trick, It really surprised me when you did the penetration straight away, I was expecting te card to be covered at some point. Im making me one of these!!
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Rob Rand wrote:Hoping that this trick will baffle you :)
I made this one myself, from The book of wonders by Tommy Wonder called Carpenter's Revenge.
Sorry for the sloppy performance and clothing! It was late at night, and it is an unofficial video:

That`s great Rob. You made it ! If I could remember from the book, Tommy could actually sell the idea of this trick as Tenyo product but unfortunately he didn`t do it. By the way, did you gain weight Rob or it is just winter cloth ? :D

TomG

Post by TomG » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Rob,
The trick didn't baffle me, but I'm really impressed that you were able to make that. It does look good. I don't want to say how the effect was done, but I may have to pick up a copy of Book of Wonders, if I can find a set.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:37 am

Aha, after watching the official video I think I know how it works :) You made it look great Rob, although the b**d in the card might give the secret away. Perhaps use a p*****c card instead, like the one supplied with Tenyo's Illusionarium? I don't know if they are available in large format.
I think it's not very easy to make the mechanism 'catch', so you did a great job Rob.
I was unaware the great Tommy Wonder invented these cleverly gimmicked apparatus.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:59 am

I've seen both versions of your video for this now rob and they're both very slick performances. love the shirt in take 2 by the way, I thought your buttons were tiny clubs :) you've inspired me, I drew up the plans and laser cut the components yesterday, gonna make one when I get a sec. thank you!
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:41 am

VictorS wrote:
Rob Rand wrote:Hoping that this trick will baffle you :)

That`s great Rob. You made it ! If I could remember from the book, Tommy could actually sell the idea of this trick as Tenyo product but unfortunately he didn`t do it. By the way, did you gain weight Rob or it is just winter cloth ? :D
Yes Victor! When I searched for the Nest of boxes chapter I stumbled upon this very nice little gem, and decided to make it! It is an extreme clever little piece, and yet relatively simple to make yourself!
There is an angle problem, so you can better perform this close up for one person.
And yes, Tommy Wonder mentioned Tenyo 'if I sold this to Tenyo, I would be rich now' something like that :)

And yes, I gained weight, working on it to lose that again :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:48 am

SimonC wrote:I've seen both versions of your video for this now rob and they're both very slick performances. love the shirt in take 2 by the way, I thought your buttons were tiny clubs :) you've inspired me, I drew up the plans and laser cut the components yesterday, gonna make one when I get a sec. thank you!
Very curious about that Simon!

Remember that I chose a larger card, so the measurements I used are different from the original ones. But it is relatively simple to change the measurements in the book.

Concerning the cards I used a very cheap deck of jumbo cards who were only 1 euro. They were thin and bendable, or am I exposing something now? :)

But a plastic card would have been better! Not easy to find larger ones. JohnB has I believe the same problem finding plastic Jumbo Cards for his remake of Magic Wagon's Ultimate Zig Zag Card.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:25 am

Great video's Rob,I will have to buy the two books for christmas and have a go at making it,not made much for a while been a bit under the weather :roll:

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:38 am

This is an effect that really baffled me:
Flying Rubik Cube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Ja2axUngk

I was even so baffled, that I bought this at magicshop.nl.

Though the quality of this prop is not outstanding (Made in India), and it definitely is not a Magic Wagon piece (the same day I received the Monarch Chest Prediction), the principle is really clever, and I am even intending, to make a smaller version of it (OK, you must have heard this more often from me :) ), but it is really such an impossible looking effect, I thought about it at night and couldnt completely figure it out, of course I had some ideas.
Now that I have this item myself, I am impressed with the cleverness of this India company.

But, maybe others are not baffled by this effect ?

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:23 am

It is a very baffling trick indeed, the method is very clever. I think it is an old but not well known trick. Tora has a version of this trick but the Rubiks Cube in his set cannot be threaded on the wand at the start of the routine. The trick is explained in Tony Hassini's DVD Set on apparatus magic. http://www.imsmagic.com/Magic_Shop/DVDs ... _Magic.php

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:08 am

I have no idea how he did it, but he does have to do some fishy looking stuff at the end before he reveales the block. But I'm baffled, yes :) A miniature version would be great.

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi, many years ago Len Sewell made a similar block appearance. Later a few magic builders re-created the effect. I can't say if this version has a similar working. I did notice that for a short time the right side of the rod is covered by the hand. Maybe that is when the work is done? In the Sewell version, the front is closed and then the rod is inserted. This is a very nice effect. Bob

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:50 pm

The craftsmen in India did a good job making this, and bringing it out for a reasonable price, well, 89 Euro is not really cheap but for such an effect with a lot of work to make it's a bargain :)
I will try to make a video of it soon!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Was this other item mentioned here?

Magic Sword
IMG_20141204_224259~2.jpg
I bought this item which costs only 4, 95 euro, and it makes me feel like a stupid boy. There is no explanation enclosed, just do this do that, and you see the clock arrow go through the dagger! There is nothing gimmicked, not the dagger, I have just no idea how this works!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.