This one baffled me...

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: This one baffled me...

Post by SimonC » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:47 am

*potential SPOILER ALERT but probably not*

It looks to me at 39 seconds in that, as the unit is placed down, the edge facing performer is slid down, possibly revealing/hiding a die shaped hole previously hidden in the dice shape section at the top of the unit which would allow a die to be slipped out. I thought thus as well because, when you look at the promotional graphic at the start of the clip you can seethe the top is made of either plywood or a series of layers which would allow such a working.
How he gets the bugger back in th tube is beyond me tho, unless you turn the unit 180 degrees and do the same process with a hole on the opposite side and at the bottom. That would explain the shaking to attach the magnetic die to the metal pole which then dislodges when pole is whacked.
Thats my theory. Any thoughts?
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:33 pm

I have DicEscape for a few days now, and it really is a new principle, very ingeniously made! It is made from very vulnerable looking wood, very light, and it is all examinable!!!
The best thing to say about it is: NO MAGNETS INVOLVED!
But I don't know if it's wise to reveal no how it works. Otherwise I would spoil the fun for Roberto B, who I like very much and who has to wait longer for his trick to arrive.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:50 pm

No magnets that is surprising.."made from very vulnerable looking wood:.... does that mean it is fragile and prone to be easily broken? :?
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:45 am

Yes you get this impression... The item looks very fragile, yet when you practice over and over again it's sturdier then expected! :-)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:27 am

Is it easy to do or does it require serious practice to do it fluently?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:30 am

Would you recommend getting it?

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:44 am

I still don´t receive my Sugawara copy so in the meantime and continuing with the baffling series, the following one seriously baffled me!.....and the magician claims that there are no camera or editing tricks….true magic?...LIE…lol…

I think that this is probably based in an old effect called The Great Fusion Illusion from Andre Kole which also included the levitation part:
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:51 am

I think the blocks and letters are made of very light foam. you could secrete thin shim magnets and plates. and the levitation part is easy, the guys a wizard, simple.
Now you see me...

Peter G
Charter Member

Post by Peter G » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi Roberto,

At first it baffled me, but after looking some times I noticed how it works...
PM me if you want the explanation :)

Peter

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:08 pm

The DicEscape requires some fumbling, which I don't particularly like, and there are some angle problems.

Although the principle is clever, I don't wholeheartedly like this trick.

The Quantum Tunnel from Magic Wagon needs hardly anything to work properly, I like that one more at the end. The spectators like that one too. Quantum Tunnel is also way bigger than DicEscape, what impresses more the spectator.

Just my personal experience of course.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:33 am

Peter G wrote:Hi Roberto,

At first it baffled me, but after looking some times I noticed how it works...
PM me if you want the explanation :)

Peter
I think I got it Peter (after about 5 - 6 views!!)..........anyway I´m sending you a PM to see if we have the same idea....

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:25 am

Well finally I have play enough with my DicEscape.....in my opinión is a great penetration effect..........I haven't seen this method before......extremely clever principle.....self working.....super Tenyo like!!!

This is my personal take on the performance.......I think it's cleaner and more simple than the handling proposed in the Seo Magic video.

In honor to Mr. Shigeru Sugawara I used the sword from Excalibur, one of his Tenyo inventions.

(See how clumsy I am at the end of the video :? )

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:16 am

Now that's one heck of a presentation idea Roberto - I actually feel a bit sorry now I haven't bought it, perhaps I should :)

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:17 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Now that's one heck of a presentation idea Roberto - I actually feel a bit sorry now I haven't bought it, perhaps I should :)
Get it Killer!!....don't think it twice......if there is an 90's Tenyo like ítem, this is it..........also the price is more than fair.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Really, this presentation of Roberto is .... ingenious! Why haven't I thought of it??? I'm gonna copy this for sure :-) And I change my opinion about this trick! It IS a killer! Thanks to Roberto!

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:04 am

Great performance, Roberto B.! Very clever indeed!

DicEscape is an excellent trick but requires a lot of practice to perform smoothly. Also do not expect that one can perform this trick exactly in the same manner as that with Roberto B.

The props are examinable but the tube is quite fragile. I have played with it for sometime time and it still seems to function well. But I cannot tell if this can withstand constant use.

I think you will marvel at the method employed in this trick. Performed smoothly, this trick will fool magicians and layman alike. I highly recommend this for Tenyo collectors.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:55 pm

This one baffled me.....is the Legacy Box from David Regal.......the description on the demo says: "No electronics. No batteries. A mechanical solution."......very intriguing.....

What do you think???.....threads?(I would be dissapointed).....the review on Martin's Magic says that it can't be performed surrounded.......because of the threads???.....it cost USD 950.- so I supose It will remain as a mystery:

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:03 pm

I am not a big fan of this kind of trick, and for almost $1000, I think it's a bit disappointing. I do however like the Mystery China box which is remotely similar in some ways.

Agreed that it probably uses threads. The walls of the box are kind of thick too. It begs the question as to why this costs so much?

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:24 am

It reminds me a little bit of Geisterkabinett, for sale for only 168 euro at

http://www.zauberkellerhof.de/core.php? ... turnCat=13

although that is more a combination of Deans Box and Ghost Cabinet. The price is more friendly anyway :)

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 am

Here is a possible explanation: The bottom of the box is hinged at the center and folds from left to right. There is a magnet to hold the pencil and ring holder.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:10 pm

I think there is some kind of magnet on a track on the underside of the box.
1. One of the bottom dice is magnetic and follows path of magnet thus toppling the rest and explaining slightly odd penis shaped stacking.
2. Metal end of pencil follows path and possibly owing to space inside box tips into glass.
3. Ring holder slides across path and as it hits glass ring falls into it.

Obviously more to it but that's my first impression.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:06 pm

That's a clever possible explanation! A sliding magnet... forth and back again... maybe going underneath at the end for some moments to prevent the pen from being pulled back. A magnet riding at a slow pace...
So there must be a mechanism to move the magnet slowly.

Have to try this out to see if this is right! :)

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:35 am

Your idea looks like a possible explanation Simon.

Now the question is how he activates the magnet......his two hands are far from the cabinet so it does not look like he's moving a lever or something....

Threads?.......possibly.

Anyway his left hand looks very suspicious.....and there are some cuts in the video that are not fair.
Last edited by Roberto B. on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:27 am

I will give details of my solution in the Members Only Section.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:53 pm

OK....again tubes and dice.....I have no clue about this one.......it doesn't use magnets or shells or the "go ahead" or the "one step behind" principle: